Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

Default All of these scales are not the other...

So I am not overly obsessed with my weight, I just see it as a useful way to measure my progress. I do weigh myself more than I should, but only my Sunday weigh-in "counts."
What is irritating me is how every scale I stand on gives me a different weight. For example, I have 2 scales at home (funny story - I had lost almost 10 pounds in a week, and I figured my scale was broken when weighed myself because that was more than I was expecting, so I bought a new one...the old one wasn't broken and now I have two) and they both give me different reads. One tells me I am 171, the other 173. I then go to the gym and it tells me 179. Yikes. This frustrates me. I end up averaging them out and going with 175, but I want to know which one is accurate, you know? I am one of those people that like all the clocks in my house to be the same and be right. I don't like the idea of walking around thinking I weigh 175 when I really weigh 180. No thank you. Also, I might go bungee jumping for the first time this weekend and I kinda want to know my accurate weight so I don't die.
Anyway...do any of you have the same problem/frustration?
Zephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #2  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Yes, I tend to compulsively weigh myself whenever I see a scale.

Every scale will weight differently, so you need to pick one scale and stick with it. Weighing on other scaes will just continue to frustrate you. (Personally, I would pick the lowest of the bunch. ) Congrats on the bungee jumping! It's something I would love to do but I'm afraid of heights, so it probably won't happen.
HTH
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Pick one scale from start to finish .. i dont think the number of how much you weigh matters then.. what matters is how much you actually lost and that is accurate on any scale.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I agree with jah...
Quote:
i dont think the number of how much you weigh matters then.. what matters is how much you actually lost and that is accurate on any scale.
Oh and I love your name Zephra
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

try testing the scales with some hand weights. that what I did between my bathroom scale and my wii fit board. wii fit was more accurate
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post

Oh and I love your name Zephra
Thanks! I think of it as the female version of a zephyr...

oh, and thanks for the tips: stick to one scale, and if I really want to know which one is more accurate, test it with weights. :-)
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by booskibabe View Post
Congrats on the bungee jumping! It's something I would love to do but I'm afraid of heights, so it probably won't happen.
HTH
I always said that i would NEVER bungee jump, but after I went skydiving, I immediately started craving the next adrenaline rush. There's something about taking a risk (even though the risks really aren't that high) and letting go of control - it is very freeing and exhilarating. I can't wait! You should think about... ;-)
Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 143.8/131.2/120

Height: 5'7''

Zephra- I like that name!
I have 3 scales!!!! I took my old roommate's, then I bought a cheap one, then I realized they were both on the light side, so I bought a WW scale. I don't even use them anymore b'c I get obsessed with weighing. I haven't weighed myself in a month and a half b.c the numbers going up and down totally messed with me and made me throw in the towel. I would weigh a 5 lb bag of sugar or hand weights and see which is the most accurate.
Good luck!
JessieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #9  

So I did as suggested and tested my scales...one was five pounds light (the analog) and one was 1 pound light (the digital). When I'm at the gym tonight I'm going to be psycho and test out their scale too. LOL. So if the gym's scale is accurate, I think I will always add 5 lbs to my home weigh-ins using the analog (cuz I usually weigh 5 lbs heavier at the gym). Haha, I'm so nuts...