Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Do you take rest days?

Do you take rest days?

I was curious cause I read an article saying that after 48 hours of inactivity, fat cells increase by 24% and after 48 hours you start to lose endurance.

Is it dangerous not to take rest? What if instead of rest, you did a different exercise instead of the normal grind? Does rest days help you on plan?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #2  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Heck ya I take rest days! Friday and Sunday are my days off from the gym. If I decide to do an activity that keeps me moving like taking a hike, walking the dogs, out dancing with girlfriends cool but I don't make an effort to workout on those two days.

I'm no doctor but I don't think its "dangerous" to not take a rest day. If you are lifting weights big time or running every day that might not be the best idea. Throwing in a rest day lets your body recover.

As for my rest days keeping me on plan, I'd say yes sometimes an no other times. I like my rest days so I can get other things accomplished but if I just chill around the house I sometimes feel guilty and I think more about what I want to eat. Sundays can be a tough day for me if I don't keep busy doing something.
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 6

yes, I take rest days, but I do work out at least 4 days a week. I always work out on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Then on one of the other days of the week I do an activity that is a little more fun, like wii fit. I want to increase my activity to 5 days a week, but I'm finding it kind of hard to add an additional day.... I've been so busy!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I feel guilty taking rest days from cardio. I don't really schedule them. I just let them happen periodically, on days when I just cannot see a way to exercise. So far, a stomach virus, a snowstorm, and a day of traveling have knocked me out of commission over the past eight weeks. I can count on life providing me with an occasional rest day, just by living my life as usual.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Yes I think you need a rest day. I have read that if you do to much cardio it works against you and you dont lose weight like you should. I work out 5 days a week and take two days off.
I believe you need to give your body a break and let things heal.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/162/149

Height: 5'7''

i try to workout everyday, if im feeling tired i usually just do a less intense workout (run less or do something easy like the elliptical) but i think working out keeps me on plan so im not gonna stop and let things fall back to the way they were.
goodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #7  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

All the training plans I have seen include rest days. I've read that rest days are actually beneficial and I have seen that in my workouts. As long as rest days don't turn into rest weeks, rest months.................. rest years.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I am just starting to workout but I can't see "rest days" as being bad.
IMO, and I am not a doctor, I think for some of us that have been less then active for awhile, rest days are needed. I don't want to over do it and hurt myself and be sidelined. As a matter of fact, since I joined the recreation centre I've only managed to get up there once. I've had two very sick little ones but I know when I do get up there (tonight ), that ANY exercise is better then none. Now, consistent exercise is best, so I am hoping to get in three good workouts a week, and one afternoon of swimming with the boys. I think 4 days is a great start and more important, it is what I can do. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations. If I say I am going to go 7 days a week with a husband and four little kids, then I know I am fooling myself. For me, its just not possible.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #9  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I try to exercise 4-5 x a week 60-90 mins at a time. (so I guess that means I take 2-3 rest days/week). Sometimes I just do cardio, sometimes cardio and strength. If you're worried about taking a rest day, go for a walk on your day off to get some activity without straining yourself.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I started out exercising everyday, then I added in 2 rest days, but i found that if I just take 1 rest day I do better on my weigh-ins. So, for now I am doing 6 days a week.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I do take days off from the gym, some days, 2 days a week, some 3 days a week, and it's usually not on the same days...
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #12  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

When I initially started working out I exercised only 2-3 times a week. As I can come up with loads of excuses not to workout . For me, it was more important to get in the habit of working out every week. So, I slowly build on it by adding a day and time to my workouts...so instead of 2 days/week it became 3 days/week. Now, I workout 6 days/week and take Sunday off. And if during a weekday I can't workout then I just use that as an off day and workout Sunday. I don't feel guilty taking one day off as I know I am working out well rest of the days. Our bodies definitely need to recharge and repair after a good honest workout .

Last edited by pintobean; 03-05-2009 at 02:15 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Even bodybuilders and fitness stars take rest days. They are essential for repair/growth (muscle). Overtraining is detrimental to our systems. Day after day of strenous exercise can slow down weight loss... That being said it doesn't mean you have to do nothing for the day. Going out and having a nice walk with the family/friends, do light swimming...My rest days I try and keep them as ACTIVE days...but not big weight training/cardio days.
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #14  

Height: 5ft6'

I think you should do some kind of physical activity everyday. You probably should give yourself a day a week where you dont go all out or do do a high intensity workout. However you should try to fit in something like a light walk or gardening or something that keeps you moving.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 AM   #15  

Lately it seems, everyday is a rest day for me....
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote