Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 09:44 PM   #1  
yagottawanna

Unhappy on and off the ww wagon!

I've been back on WW since January 9th, and have lost a total of 17 pounds. I'm thrilled with this progress, and can see and feel a difference.

BUT...... (isn't there always a but!)

I would be much farther along in my long term goal to lose 61lbs if i could stop slipping (and sometimes it feels like I jump willingly) off the plan.

For me, WW is a breeze when my life is 'normal'. However, the minute my routine, my schedule, goes out the window because of extra work, travel, etc....... I rush back to my old ways.

I know what I should be doing, but it's almost like I've been given an excuse not to do it.

When I travel, especially, I find it impossible to 'do the right thing!'

What's frustrating is when I fall off the wagon, of course I gain weight, and then it takes just as long back on programme again to lose it......

Any suggestions on how I can better handle these times, since I know for a fact they'll come along whether I'm prepared for them or not!

Thanks in advance for your ear and any help you can offer

Jessica

209/192/148
Old 05-27-2002, 05:05 PM   #2  
I WILL get to my goal!

I know how you feel. Every diet I have been on has been indefinitly interrupted with changes to my normal way of like similar to your experience.

I think one thing that can help you is to always remind yourself of how much weight you have already lost by sticking to your plan. Let yourself know that you wouldn't want to lose all of that hard work for a piece of cake or a handful of mini candy bars.

Of course there is no easy way to go about it. Temptations will always be there and will power may not always be easy to find. If you cheat, just pick yourself off, dust yourself off, and try again.

It also helps to be involved in weight loss communities online such as this forum.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:49 AM   #3  

Talking Funny you should post about this!!

I thought it was funny to see your post today because I went back AGAIN today!!! This is my 6th Time after reaching my lifetime goal in 1988!!! Each time I've gone back, there has been a shorter amount of time in between.

I think, for me, the thing I HAVE to do is go to the meetings (and stay). That is the only way I get the motivation. There was a lady at our meeting today who is a lifetime member for about 6-7 years. She goes faithfully, every week to weigh in. Of course, she's at her goal, so she never pays.

I came home from my meeting today filled with motivation. I sat down and started my journal for the week, writing down my breakfasts and since I already plan my dinners, I know what I'll have for dinner. I know that everyone's lives are different, but for me, this is what works. I know that once I start losing, that will be added motivation. If I look on the bright side, I've lost 20.2 from my highest (after re-gaining all the weight I lost to make lifetime plus some!! )

Good luck!!

We need to remember that this program works if we work it!!! There are 2 sayings that can motivate anyone!!

Thin Tastes Better (I have this on my cell phone so when I turn it on, this is what I see!!

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
Old 05-28-2002, 12:11 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Humm, Timely for me as well. I went back today. It has been about 18 months and 15 lbs. I have been back to exercising for about 6 weeks but my food is out of control. The were nice today and honored my LTM so it was $12 to WI. A little sad to admitt that I couldn't do it all on my own.

Oh well, that puts me back on the wagon!
be well,
-L
Old 05-28-2002, 01:09 PM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I h ave an idea you might like to try. It was mentioned at my WW mtg. and makes a whole lot of sense.
List your obstacles.
List 5 ways around those obstacles.
Do any one of them the next time you're challenged.

For example: You mentioned traveling on work out of town. To me this means being out of complete control of my food and having to deal with richer choices for a few days. Okay--I'd plan menus: for breakfast a half a grapefruit, ww toast and an eggwhite omelet. for lunch, a salad with a small side of broiled chicken. for dinner fish and a baked potato and a yummy vegetable. Coffee or tea and some fruit cocktail for dessert. I never travel without 2point bars and a small box of raisins in my purse. I'd load my suitcase with fresh fruit and rice cakes, etc. Anything that has helped me be very successful at home.
You are incredibly successful. Please don't measure your success in staying 100% on program all the time, because life isn't that way for most of us. You might want to consider yourself successful if, upon returning from a business trip, you maintained your weight.
I understand the frustration of going up and down on WW. But this is a lifestyle changing program and sometimes some of us do gain weight. I also understand the frustration of having to take it off again. Good luck to you.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:56 PM   #6  
yagottawanna

Default thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks for the encouragement@!#$

It's always somehow nicer to know you're not the only one fighting this battle!

I was thinking about this problem of mine... and what's most frustrating is not so much that I'm hamstrung by the choices available when I'm traveling or working crazy hours.... it's that I consciously give myself free reign to make the BAD choices.

This last trip, I had WW 2pt bars, which I normally REALLY enjoy, in my backpack..... but no....... I was in an airport, so I was ALLOWED to gorge on candybars and junk food! I know I'm doing it, but can't seem to stop myself!. Argh! My own worst detractor, I am.

But I ain't givin' up yet. No way, no how! I don't care if it takes me forever and a day, I'm not so concerned about getting there.... it's the journey towards the goal that I'm trying to focus on.

I especially like your idea, Itryharder, of listing obstacle and ways around them! I will have to do this.

Just got a palm pilot and am in the process of weaning myself off the traditional means of organisation...... scraps of paper, a dog-eared date planner and address book.... my ww journal..... will have to chart my motivational efforts in there too!

Keep in touch!

Jess
Old 06-06-2002, 03:43 PM   #7  
Conquering with SBD

I can relate to you having problems when travelling. I travel quite a lot and know the importance of having a plan to accommodate my weight loss program.

Here's some suggestions that I have:

1. I start the day out with the same breakfast everyday - 2 slices of brown toast (no butter), 1 T. jam, glass of juice or piece of fresh fruit if available, and my cup of coffee. Personally, if I leave myself the flexibility of ordering from the menu, I can guarantee that I will not make good choices. This takes that choice away from me and helps me to discipline myself. I can also journal my points for breakfast before I even leave for the trip. This sounds boring, but if I have the food journalled, I tend not to get tempted by the buffet breakfasts that are killers on a weight loss plan.

2. Airplane food is difficult, also. I order vegetarian dishes prior to leaving. They tend to have less fat in them than meat dishes.

3. I always travel with at least 2 bottles of water and several snack bars (I usually take Slim Fast with me). I also take Slim Fast meal on the go bars with me, in case I get caught with a menu that just doesn't fit into my weight loss plan. I often find myself in countries where I don't recognize the food...meal on the go bars and snack bars come in very handy.

4. I think the biggest thing that you need to do, is to seriously take a look at your mental attitude. In the past, I have had a lot of difficulty in dealing with travel, holidays, etc. because my mental attitude is that they are special times, so I can indulge and get back with it when I get home, or after the holiday. This then extends into weekends and anytime that I can justify not following a food plan. Over the past year, I have seriously considered what my mental plan would be during all of these non-normal times. For me, the only way to deal with them is to make a plan (written plan) before I go. Leaving the decisions until you arrive is catastrophic. If possible, I try to plan even what I will eat in restaurants while away. Airport layovers are killers, too. When I know that I will have a layover, I plan what I will eat, and write down the time that I will eat. Helps with the discipline problems to have the plan in advance.

Having said all of that, it sounds like it is not very much fun. However, planning the basics and following that plan allow for you to continue with you weight loss, but you also must build some flexibility into it so that you can enjoy small indulgences every day. Remember, by planning you may not always stay completely with the program, but you will not stray as far away as if you had not plan in the first place.

I practice this for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, vacations, etc. Design what works for you and your ability to discipline yourself. If you make it too regimented (sounds like that is what I have done above, but I do build in flexibility also), you will probably have trouble with the discipline. Keep what works for you, try new things and keep up the great weight loss. You can do it.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:53 PM   #8  
yagottawanna

Peggy -
thanks for the ideas. And you are so right. So much of what we are trying to do is mind over matter. And Even in the weeks since I posted this thread, my mind simply hasn't been cooperating with me in my weight loss efforts. I've been out of control!!!!!!!!!!
My eating has been nothing short of horrendous, and my exercise efforts have been almost laughable. I'm feeling extra yuck today (combo bad habits and PMS) so I'm hoping today I can drag myself back on track. I want this so bad........ so why am I fighting it every step of the way????

Jess
Old 06-10-2002, 10:01 AM   #9  
Conquering with SBD

Jess - One more suggestion that I ran into when I started the weight loss. I really didn't have my mind into it.

Actually, I started following the WW program with another lady at work. My mental attitude at the time was "I have the diet and we can play this game for a while." Knowing that I really hadn't considered doing this, I really didn't expect to succeed. However, the more I played the game, the more obsessed I became with winning.

The first month was ****. I resented watching what I was eating, writing everything down and counting and weighing - especially while other people seemed to enjoy eating. But you know what? After the first month, I became so obsessed with losing, that everything I did was planned around my weight loss program. Try to grit your teeth and follow the food plan completely for a month. See what comes out the other end. I think you will be surprised at how much discipline and commitment develop over that time.

Until recently, I didn't go anywhere without my food journal AND wrote down everything before I ate it. In restaurants I would pour over the menu, calculating what I could eat and adjusting and readjusting my plan. Now that I have been doing this for 11 months, I am at the point where, when I know I will be eating out, I either know what I am ordering off a familiar menu beforehand, or plan to have something like chicken or fish, or a steak (if it fits that day). I definitely don't leave the decision for when I get to the restaurant where I am hungry and not very well disciplined. The main thing is that I go to the restaurant with a plan. The plan often includes sharing a dessert with hubby, or eating half of my own dessert and boxing the rest to take home. Yes, that's possible and still lose weight.

Hubby and I often go to a Viet Namese restaurant that has fabulous food. We used to go once a week, but I now restrict it to once every two weeks. My favorite dish comes to 22 points on weight watchers. Since I am presently at 18 - 23 points, this is waaaay tooo much food for the meal. Soooo, I go, planning to eat half the meal (11 points) and take the other half home to enjoy another day. The restaurant now serves half the meal to me with the other sent to the table already boxed.

If you want to try the month first, there is a 21 day challenge somewhere here (I forget where). But the philosophy is that it takes 21 days to form a habit, so by committing to staying on your weight loss program for 21 days, you will be in the habit of eating differently, and making more healthy choices.

Try the challenge if you are having difficulty in the short term. You can do it, I know. Take care.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:38 PM   #10  

Jessica, I feel your pain. Up until fairly recently, I seemed to have little trouble disciplining myself. Recently I found that I kept saying "today's a new start", but then I just bolluxed it up again whenever I got the chance.

In my life there's almost always a reason to go off program. A few months ago I moved, and it took me weeks to set up the kitchen, and for many more weeks I ate takeout all the time. Then I had to shop for a new car, and I got all stressed out about that. Because I was so stressed out, I was playing computer games too much at work, so I took all computer games off my machine both at work and at home, even off my PalmPilot, and that made me hungry just for distraction all the time. Then I started going on hour-long strenuous bike rides in the evenings to work off stress because work got crazy, and that made me so hungry I felt justified in eating fried chicken and cheeseburgers.

A couple weeks ago I finally got so frustrated with my own sabotage that I just said "OK, if I'm not committed to losing weight, I'll just have to give it up." I was feeling like my priorities were crooked; I want to do soooo many things to improve and enrich my life (I'm coming out of a cocoon), and worrying about what I ate was driving me nuts.

I don't really know what happened; maybe letting go of the program and the idea of being perfect (like I was even close!! ) reminded me that I do want to be healthy and ultimately get back to goal. So I'm keeping up my biking, and I'm focussing on getting lots of water, fruits and veggies in, I've increased my protein with shakes & the like so my appetite is more controlled, and when I go off, I go off; I try to be like a grownup and take responsibility for it. I attend meetings and weigh in, and funny thing is, at least for now, the scale is verrry slowly moving down.

I've got a lot more stress and travel coming up this summer, so who knows what'll happen, but these days if I just don't gain more weight it's a success.

I think all these suggestions are great, but the key for me is to stick to the plan whenever I can, because I never know when the urge to rebel may strike. If I give myself permission to not be perfectly on program all the time, maybe it's easier when I am on program. We'll see!

Lenore
Old 06-13-2002, 11:12 PM   #11  
Vi

I can really relate to your feelings of self sabotage. For a long time I went to meetings and lost hardly any weight because I was sabotaging myself and overeating points. Just recently though I have learned a few things that have helped me.

The plan includes dairy, fruits and veggies and water. There is a reason these items are in the plan, they help you control appetite and eat well. I was eating a lot of junk food points and as a result craved sugar and more junk and couldnt stick to the points.
I find that by eating what WW recommends and eating more protein, sugar cravings are kept at bay.

That is not to say I dont eat sugar..but when I do I make sure it is balance with protein otherwise I will go crazy wanting more.

Also what really helps is realizing that little steps will get you to your goal. You dont have to be perfect. For a long time I was either ON the plan or OFF the plan. Now I just take small steps to win the race. I might get up and walk a few minutes every hour or have a salad with each meal to fill me up. The little things will result in added calorie loss over time. Yes I may still eat some junk but then will balance it with a healthier meal next time. NO MORE ALL OR NOTHING ATTITUDE.

I have a friend who lost 25 pounds on WW. It took her a year and 1/2 ..thats a long time. But she did it slowly with ups and downs and she is where she wants to be now.
I plan to follow her and never give up.

Vi
Old 06-16-2002, 12:18 PM   #12  

Wink discouraged

Hello all...I am new to this site asI haven't been here for a couple of yeare ...It looks great and I love the changes.... I am back to weight watchers once again and am so discouraged once again. Lost 4 lbs. the 1st week....2nd week lost 1/2lb. then lost 1lb. then gaine 1-1/2lb then gained 3...... so all in all have lost a total of 1lb. I did go away for 7days on a trip and tried my best to stay on program ...but couldn't drink the water..so i knew it wasn't good...i really feel like a failure-face...I'm realyy in a funk and am trying to hang in there....thanks for listening ...I just had to get this off my chest as there is no one here to voice my feelingg to....
onangelwings
Old 06-17-2002, 01:46 PM   #13  

Angry Been there...

Onangelwings

We've all been there. I returned to my meetings 3 weeks ago and lost the first week and gained last week and I'll probably gain when I go back this Tuesday.

Hang in there. Keep going to you're meetings, journaling and try the best you can to drink the water. It's a mind game that we all play. Put it into your mind that you have to do it for YOU and just take baby steps.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:26 AM   #14  

Default I'm trying.....

Dear Felicia, Thank you for your support....I will hang in there if I don't the results will be worse...so I must forgive myself for mistakes and take one day at a time...Good luck to you as well....We'll do it!
sincerely, Dee Etta
Old 06-18-2002, 08:30 PM   #15  
yagottawanna

Default great support

wow -- been away from the site for a few days and it was great to see that so many people offered their thoughts and suggestions and shared experiences.

Lenore, I must say I even had to double check to make sure I hadn't written your post.... sounded JUST LIKE ME!

Well, I have been making a strong effort to be back on track since Sunday...... even found all my WW materials (they'd been lost for two weeks) so that's helping. I'm hoping to get back to my meeting tomorrow, but I can't guarantee it, so I guess I'll try to find another interim meeting to go to sometime this week since I REALLY don't trust myself to wait till next wednesday!

I know I can do this, and ladies, I trust you can too. Maybe we can all support one another. I know I'm not on the site daily, but if I know people are here, I'll certainly make more of an effort to pop in.

Hope to hear that everyone's having a great week real soon

Jess
Closed Thread