Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Default Water retention before period

Do any of you retain a good amount of water before the onset of their period. I seem to every month but this month is horrific!
I am not joking when I say I am probably up 10 lbs. I am only 5'3" and typically around 120 so that is a huge gain for me. I feel like if you prick me with a needle, I could literally pop and drain (believe me, I thought about it!)

Any suggestions or reasons why it is sooo bad this month?

by the way, I am 43
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Have you ever tried a water pill at that time of the month? I think I would try that if your holding that much water. It might even relieve some of the discomfort. That sounds so uncomfortable..
Look at the over the counter pills for menstural cycles, they might have one that helps lose water weight and other symptoms..
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Therese - I'm like a human sponge. The two weeks leading up to my period, I gain about a half a pound a day. Then I keep that on through the WHOLE THING, and drop it two days afterward overnight. So I only have one week each month where I'm NOT retaining water.

Traditional Medicinals makes a GREAT tea called "PMS Tea". It tastes TERRIBLE, but helps me with the bloating. I drink a cup or two, morning and night, with some added lemon juice.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I dont know if I do or not. Ive been really overweight for so long, its hard to tell if things fit tighter or not. I really wish I could figure out which days I do retain water. Its hard to tell for me cause Im always going up, and then down, up then down on the scale. So I dont know whats water weight and whats not.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Mine was horrible this month also, but only 5 lbs for me.
I can imagine how horrible you feel with 10lbs-yucko!

I have vowed to not weigh during that week. It's just too depressing.

It sounds counter productive, but do you drink more water at this time also?
I know for me it's because I crave salty foods-chips, cheez-its, etc-that I retain more water, so I try to drink more water to flush all of the sodium out.

Best wishes

Last edited by ddc; 03-03-2009 at 01:52 PM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

If I'm eating really clean, I typically have no PMS symptoms aside from a bit of crabbiness for a day or so. However, if I've had a lot of sodium, sugar, or caffeine in the week or two leading up to my period, then I bloat up like the good year blimp and have other exacerbated PMS symptoms.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Well, I usually eat very clean but the cravings have been really bad this month...and I have given into a few!

Still haven't gotten "it" but drinking water and ice tea like a fish! I think I may try the water pill!!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I seem to have a tendency to retain water. I usually drop 3 to 5 lbs every night and have dropped as much as 6 lbs, maybe more. That's all got to be water (I also get up to pee a lot during the night).

I'm typically at my worst for water retention the week before and the week of TOM. And it's definitely worse if I happen have a few off-plan meals in there at the same time.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote