Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Default What can I do at the gym with a sprained ankle?

My ankle is sprained, but I still want to get in a cardio workout.
Today I went swimming, but I want to go to the gym!
It isn't a severe strain, I can put weight on it, just not for elongated periods of time.
I was thinking about the stationary bike- do you think that would be okay?
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #2  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

I think a bike would be okay. Just stop ASAP when it hurts. Allow healing time.
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I sprained my ankle a couple of weeks ago, not badly, but enough that the treadmill was out. I rowed on the rowing machine, and I've found that I love the full body workout with no impact. I don't think that I'll be going back to the treadmill.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #4  
gym rat from Tokyo

Yikes working out with a sprained ankle, you must be a brave person.
Does your gym have one of those Joba (horseriding fitness) machines?

What about Pilates class?
my3monthchallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #5  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

The bike is a good idea. Swimming is still a great form of cardio and a total body work out as long as you keep moving. You can also incorporate exercises that you'd do regularly in the in the water for a kick butt work out. Do a little research and I'm sure you can find many ways of working around the sprain while working in the pool. Also you can do all kinds of olds school mat work they used to do in the 80s like abs, leg lifts, etc and you can do push-ups, planks, plank rows with weights to work your back, walking planks, chest press/flys and do weights with your arms sitting on a stability ball if you can't really stand and that way you'll work your arms and your core. The biggest thing is to keep moving as you go through these exercises without stopping becuase if you stop your heart rate will drop and you won't burn as many calories. Good luck!!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Did you have a doctor look at your ankle? If so, I would ask your doctor what activities are okay, especially whether or not biking or anything else that is going to put pressure on your ankle is okay. Your doctor is in a far better position to give you advice on something like that than anyone is here (since we can't actually examine your ankle).

I would be careful with it. It might not be a bad idea to just take a couple of days of and let it heal. I've had to deal with mild injuries that turned into not so mild injuries when I pushed myself to work out anyway. If I taken a few days off when the injury first happened, I would have been back to my regular workouts very quickly. But because I was stubborn and stupid, I ended up having to give up some of my favorite activities for much longer.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #7  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Ab training, upper body strength workouts, mat pilates, non weight bearing stretching. I would just take a break from aerobics like biking until the ankle heals. Also, I'd look up some physio exercises online and do them once or twice a day (they shouldn't hurt to do.)

I sprained my ankle very badly, huge snap and everything, and I got it rehabbed to the point where it's as strong and flexible as the good one. The key exercise was doing the alphabet in the air with my foot.
river is offline   Reply With Quote