Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #1  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Default Martial Arts

I want to take a martial arts class. I have joined gyms before, but I tend to talk myself out of going (It's late, you need to let the dog out, that kind of thing) and I think a class would give me some accountability - a regularly scheduled thing that I go to. And I think martial arts would be fun for me - not just burning calories with aerobics, but learning a skill.

So has anyone taken a martial arts class before? I live in a small town, and my choices look like Karate, Kickboxing, Sparring or Kali. Anyone taken any of these before, have an opinion on what would be better than others, any suggestions for these kinds of classes? Thanks!
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I took a karate class in college as an elective PE class.
I really had a nicer firmer tushy after taking the class.
I never really felt comfortable doing the katas though and felt like everyone was always watching me. But standing in the horse stance for a long time seemed to firm up my rear.

Most places will give you a free trial class, so try out a few different places and see which one you like.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #3  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to go check one out to see what the differences are. My main fear now is finding an adult class so that I don't get beat up by 9 year olds.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i do karate.

ther'es a mix of adults and kids. the adults never get to work with the kids for obvious reasons. it's fun but hard work.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote