Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #1  

Default Hello! I wanted to know if any of you have tried an electric bike?

Hi everyone! I am a new member, thanks for this amazing forum. I would like to finally loose 40 lbs (I am 260lbs) and I am considering an electric bicycle to use as exercise- I just saw a video on youtube with a guy named Keith Felch (search: Optibike- Keith Felch on youtube) who is over 300lbs and rides his electric bike everywhere!
It looks like this man and his wife have had some luck with their electric bikes. Has anyone here tried one? There are lots of different kinds and some advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Greg
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #2  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

hmmmm...Never heard of one.But find this an interesting subject.I will check back in later and see what type of replys you recieve.
Out of curiosity Do you do any kind of exercise now?
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #3  

Hi there. Congratulations on your progress! Really well done. I am currently using a hamster wheel (I mean treadmill) in my house and I find it hard to stay motivated to get on it every other day. I was trying to think of ways to get out of the house and explore a bit more. I plan on calling the company in the video tomorrow- I will post a reply once I know more.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #4  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Sorry not to reply again sooner.Everyone in my house but me is with the flu!
(I just walk 2 times a day 45 minutes INDOORS~From my kitchen to my living room~And this seems to be working~I myself am not good with exercise equipment Either so Maybe just try walking.As soon as the weather gets good again here in OHIO I will walk outside....I got severe asthma so it restricts me during the winter.
THANKS by the way...For the congrads.

Last edited by Lori259; 02-18-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Why not buy a regular bike if you want exercise? A regular bike is great exercise but if you want to be more of a commuter, I could see the use of an electric bike. Although many people use regular bikes to commute as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #6  

Good question. I called and talked to a man at Optibike, the company in the video, and he had some good answers- as I asked the same question, "why not just ride a regular bike?" He (I think his name was Craig) asked me how far I ride a regular bike now, to which I answered "not very far." When asked why, I replied, Because it is not very much fun when you are not in very good shape.

From digging around their website more, they have some interesting data about people riding their bikes LONGER, hence getting a better (long duration) cardio workout that is FUN, which makes you want to keep riding. He equated their motor system to a "human electric hybrid" system that allows you to pedal as much (or as little) as you would like- so I believe there is real potential there for some good exercise.

To make a long story short- I went ahead and ordered an Optibike 800Li (with a heavy duty package because I am heavy!) I figured with the 90 day return policy, if the bike does not work well, I will just send it back. They seem like a nice group of folks (they actually make the bikes in Colorado! Imagine that!!)

I will keep posting my weight loss stats in this thread as I brave some new ground here....

Greg.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #7  

You're sounding like a commercial, Greg.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #8  
just me

S/C/G: 327/277/185

Height: 6'1"

Due to an accident, I had to have my ankle rebuilt. As a result, my balance is off and I am afraid to ride a bike. I am also unable to walk long distances. My husband found me the perfect solution - an adult electric trike.
They sell new for around $1,200 bucks. I found mine new on ebay for $699.
Just search Amazon for iZip 2008 Tricruiser Adult Electric Tricycle

I am able to go long distances, and pedal as much as I like. WHen I get tired, or encounter a hill, I flip a switch and the battery power takes me whereever I need to go.

At first, I was somewhat ere in Vegas, everyone is out and about on scooters and bikes. Now I am used to it, have gotten positive comments on it and I absoultely LOVE my electric Trike!

Last edited by wickky; 02-25-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo repair
wickky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #9  

Wickky- Cool. So I am not the first one here to try an E-bike. How do you like it? Do you find yourself getting exercise? Do you feel like you got a workout when you are done? I hope I made the right decision.

Maria- Sorry about that. I hate commercials. I just got off the phone with the guy and did a "brain dump" into the forum without proofreading it first.

Greg
Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #10  
just me

S/C/G: 327/277/185

Height: 6'1"

I absolutely love it. I am able to go farther, which means more exercise. I only use the battery if I encounter a hill I cannot pedal up, or am wore out and need a "breather".

I use it for pedalling around town, I use it for work and on most days that the weather is nice. I feel that it also helps me in leaving a smaller carbon footprint on an already congested planet.

Getting my trike also encouraged my husband to get a bike, so we are able to take treks together. He has even used his bike to ride home the 10 miles from his work.
wickky is offline   Reply With Quote