Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/233/137

Height: 5'6"

Question Meridia / Reductil

Hi

Just over a week ago I started to take Meridia (called Reductil here in the UK) (15mg once per day) and, I know it is very early days, but it seems to be working incredibly well. My appetite is massively reduced and food just doesn't have the same appeal at the moment, I've lost 4lbs in the past week. I'm interested to know if anyone else takes Meridia and how they have found it in the longer term. I'm a bit worried as I searched the forums and most people seem to be reporting negative experiences... I hope someone out there has a positive one to share! I'd be really pleased to hear from you.

Thanks

Lillibeth
Lillibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I took Meridia back in Fall of 2006, way before I really started trying to lose weight. My GP put me on it because I told her I was ready to try (turns out, I wasn't). I found that it didn't work that well for me and, in the end, I couldn't tell a difference between when I was taking it and when I wasn't. Except for it kind of made me nauseous.

BUT. If you are having success with it, then go for it! I honestly did not try to change my eating/exercising habits while I was taking it. Perhaps if I had, I would have had results like yours! I say that if it's working for you and it helps you, then use it for as long as you need to.
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #3  

Default Timetoshrink

I have been taking meridia for three weeks and have lost 13 lbs, the only side effects that I have had so far was a dry mouth and mild headache's for the first few days. My appetite has decreased a lot and I'm not thinking about food all the time. I have started Weight Watchers and have increased my exercise program to 4 days a week. I have to say that taking meridia has helped me with that little boost I needed to get started.

Barb

Last edited by timetoshrink; 02-16-2009 at 11:51 PM.
timetoshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #4  

I'm so pleased that you are finding it helpful as well. I've also noticed that I have a decreased appetite, but not thinking about food all the time is by far the best effect! It is making a big difference to how I spend my time and I'm hoping that it will last even after I've stopped taking the tablets.

I hope they keep working for you!

Lillibeth
Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

i want to try it, but I'm scared. I just got off of a 10-year period of SSRIs, and Meridia is actually an SSRI really. I've been so proud of myself being off for 1 year and 4 months all antidepressants, and even though I would pray that Meridia would help me lose faster than I am right now, I am scared to start it....

I'm afraid it would ruin all my hard work getting off SSRIs.

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

My doctor just gave me a prescription for a low dose of Phentermine. I had researched it myself and he agreed it would be a good idea.
I have a low thyroid and stress fractures in my foot, so loosing weight and exercising is hard for me.
Well, I just had a new thyroid test and I am on new and stronger thyroid meds, starting tomorrow and I should have the Phentermine in about a week.
I am ONLY taking it for 3 months, to help get me going. I have no intentions on taking it long term. I need to get the maximum (safe) amount of weight off in the beginning to relieve some of the stress on my foot. Somedays, I can't even walk much.

HOWEVER, for about 3 months BEFORE getting the prescription, I started a new way of eating. (I won't call it a diet.) I kept a food journal, I started moving more, I became more conscience of what I ate and why and HOW MUCH. (portion control) This is just an aide, not the answer. At least not for me.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #7  

Default Timetoshrink

When I decided to take meridia I researched this medication for approximately two months before discussing it with my family physician. I have a few health issues that helped me with my decision regarding taking this medication. This is my third week into it and so far things have been going well, I hope to be at a healthy weight within the next 6 months and hopefully I will be able to maintain what I have lost when I go off of meridia. I would also like to mention that I see my family physician every two weeks to have my blood pressure taken.

Take care,
Barb
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #8  
this is it...

S/C/G: 247/247/176

Height: 5feet 5inches

I was on Meridia it did wonders, then once that stopped working we put me on...crap i cant remember but all in all it does help...I probley would of been able to keep/maintain my weight if i had made healthy choices in what i ate...when i stared on the meds i was at 260 and it helped me get down to 176 in about a year...
Shell1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #9  

My doctor did warn me that I may become used to it and that its effect will diminish over time, I'm hoping that that will not be any time son. He also suggested that I may like to stop taking it every 8 weeks for a week to allow it to completely clear out of my system, so that when I start taking it again the effect should be heightened.

Shell1919 - I would be thrilled if I could lose that kind of weight in a year, fingers crossed. I'm concerned though that as soon as I stop taking the tablets I'll gain it all back as while they are helping me manage my appetite I'm not sure that they are really helping me learn healthy eating habits.

Choirgirlhotel - it might be worth speaking to your doctor about how Meridia would affect you, as although it is an SSSI studies have shown it has no anti-depressant effect, perhaps it works in a different way to the SSSI's that you have previously taken?

IrishSarah - I really hope this works for you, I've been having trouble with a tiny hairline fracture in my left heal and that is bad enough, I can imagine how uncomfortable you must be with stress fractures. Good luck!

Last edited by Lillibeth; 02-18-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #10  

I was wondering how everyone is doing on meridia. I would like to know if anyone has any new side effects, my appetite has not increased which is good and I'm a little surprised that my energy level has not increased as much as I would have liked. I'm not sure if that has to do with the fact that I have had a lot of stress in my life. Hope to hear from someone soon.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #11  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsarah View Post
This is just an aide, not the answer. At least not for me.
What she said I have had so much trouble losing weight (65 pounds in 2 1/2 years is slooooow) and every time I have my thyroid checked it's just fine. So I went to the doctor last week for some help with my latest plateau (I haven't lost since September, I believe), and she suggested we try Phentermine. Since I'm already doing the exercise/diet portion right (she actually suggested I cut back on the cardio and do some yoga instead, which I hate, but I'm doing it anyway), she thinks the Phentermine will speed up my metabolism a little and give me another kickstart.

She wants to keep me on it until my BMI is at 30, so about six months, she was guessing. I don't know if it will take that long, but at my normal rate of loss, it's likely. So far the only side effect I've had is some trouble sleeping, which I am pretty used to anyway, so it doesn't bother me much.

My doctor mentioned Meridia too, but chose Phentermine for whatever reason. I still feel like I'm cheating somehow, but I've had so much trouble that if this helps, I'm willing to take the help, you know? I just have to keep reminding myself it's only a tool and I know how to eat right and exercise, so nothing changes as far as healthy living is concerned.

Here's hoping we can all use this tool to help us get the weight moving.

Last edited by thistoo; 03-02-2009 at 09:57 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Phentermine Rocks!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #13  

Hi, I was wondering if phentermine is similar to meridia. I was in the same situation that I had tried everything to lose weight and I finally came to my wits end and decided to research different diet supplements to see if that would help. My family doctor was reluctant to give me this medication and would only give me a month RX to see how I did on it. I go and see him every two weeks to have my blood pressure taken and so far it has been really good and he is pleased with my progress so far I have lost 13lbs. I also joined Weight Watchers and have increased my fitness, I am well aware that this is not a magic pill that will help me lose weight without putting any effort in and making a life style change that I need. My decision to try this was due to health reasons being diabetic, increased cholesterol and hypertension had a lot to do with it and I thought that if this could give me the boost that I need to a healthier life style then I would give it a chance.

Take care
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #14  

I've been using the Phentermine for almost a week and I've lost 3 pounds. I actually feel CALMER on it and not hyper at all. However, I was told by a few doctors that I am AD/HD so that could explain why a stimulant wouldn't hype me up. I am also on the lowest dose.

The only problem I am having has nothing to do with the Phentermine, its my thyroid. The dang thing is so out of whack and it hasn't stabilized yet. That is driving me nuts. All the hard work with eating smarter, moving more, changing my whole mindset and my body is sabotaging me.

I don't feel like I am cheating because I am doing the work. You shouldn't either, Thistoo. I am not eating whatever I want. I started this journey, at least mentally, in December and in practice in January. (By mentally I mean, getting ready by journaling what I was eating, when, how much and WHY.) I am eating the way I plan on eating even after I hit goal, so if I can get some help and alleviate some of the problems being this heavy has caused me, then I am all for it. I don't feel like I am cheating when I am here and YOU guys have been the best support of all!

Last edited by irishsarah; 03-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
i want to try it, but I'm scared. I just got off of a 10-year period of SSRIs, and Meridia is actually an SSRI really. I've been so proud of myself being off for 1 year and 4 months all antidepressants, and even though I would pray that Meridia would help me lose faster than I am right now, I am scared to start it....

I'm afraid it would ruin all my hard work getting off SSRIs.

~Choirgirl~
I was on SSRI's for the past 13 years. I JUST got myself completely off about a month and a half ago. I started taking a complete B Vitamin complex, an Omega 3-6-9 suppliment and weaned myself off. The pills weren't doing anything anyway and with my insurance change I wasn't going to be able to afford them anyway. (I just added a Vitamin D3 too) I also switched to a different thyroid medication (not just a different strength) and I seriously feel fine. I've tried coming off of those nasty buggers before, and never could. SO I understand your reluctance. The truth is, you can NOT be on a SSRI and Phentermine (I don't know about Meridian) so maybe you can investigate and ask your doctor about Phentermine instead.

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and that you have options.