Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #1  
ready to stand

S/C/G: 172/ticker/115

Height: 5'1

Default Pulled Foot During 30 Day Shred?

The first week I did this DVD, I had trouble with the lunges. My leg was fine (it was burning from exercising but fine) however, the bottom of my foot felt like I was pulling something.. and I realized that it was pulling on the tendon of the back foot whenever I would go down.

I tried changing how I was going down and tried putting less pressure on my back foot while doing the lunge. I continued to do the 30 Day Shred for a few days but then stopped.

During the next few weeks, whenever I walked, my foot hurt. I could feel my sore, pulled tendon.

This makes me uncertain whether or not I should do the lunges in her DVD.

Have any of y'all experienced this with lunges or other exercises? And if so, did you continue to work out the way you were or did you stop doing that exercise all-together?
MelodyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Do you mean your plantar fascia or your Achilles tendon?

I would not mess with potential damage to either. I would ice, elevate & rest it, and then do a modified version of that exercise for a while.

This is a plantar fascitis sufferer speaking. It's taken FOREVER for mine to go away. And I mean forever. We are talking over 18 months. Because in the beginning, I didn't take it seriously enough & tried to "work through" it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #3  
ready to stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Do you mean your plantar fascia or your Achilles tendon?

I would not mess with potential damage to either. I would ice, elevate & rest it, and then do a modified version of that exercise for a while.

This is a plantar fascitis sufferer speaking. It's taken FOREVER for mine to go away. And I mean forever. We are talking over 18 months. Because in the beginning, I didn't take it seriously enough & tried to "work through" it.
I'm talking about the plantar fascia.

The problem is, I don't know how to modify a lunge. In her DVD, the modified version is a lunge that doesn't go as low, but I'm not sure if I can do even that.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #4  

My hubby had plantar fascitis also .. It took 18 months for his to go away also. He was in a lot of pain..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #5  
ready to stand

Well, thank goodness I stopped doing the lunges after a few days..

Mine only took about a month to fully heal.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #6  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Another plantar facitis sufferer here. Wow - the pain. After doing tons of research I found out that I was reinjuring every morning as I stepped out of bed! This is how I got rid of it...
Take a 16-20 oz water bottle and freeze it. Roll it over the bottom of your foot 3-4 times a day. ALWAYS stretch it before getting up after sitting/laying for an extended period of time (flex the foot). But I really credit the shoes that I wore for finnally helping it to heal. I got a pair of New Balance sneakers that have what they call a roll bar in the sole. They are designed for people with PF.

I agree with Saef - don't ignore it, it will only get worse. I'm still leary of the lunges because I don't want to go thru that again. Hope it feels better
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #7  
ready to stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Hope it feels better
Thanks. Don't worry, this was a few months ago, so my foot's all better.

I'm also really nervous about lunges now. Would better shoes help with lunges?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #8  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

I don't know if it would or not. The static lunges don't bother me as much as the other ones. I just try to make up for my lack of effort with the squats.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You may want to look at orthotic inserts for your shoes. They have really helped me, particularly with the getting out of bed in the morning reinjury problem. For my bedroom slippers, I use the over-the-counter brand, Superfeet. I have custom orthotics to wear during the daytime. (They weren't cheap & unfortunately insurance would not cover them.) You could buy a pair of the over-the-counter variety & see if they help you with redistributing your weight, in case the problem arises again with other motions. But otherwise, I would simply modify the exercise & make up the effort elsewhere.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #10  

Be sure to wear stable shoes and a good OTC arch support when doing this DVD. People have a tendency to use old shoes when doing indoor exercise, but this is a pretty intense work-out, don't skimp on the shoes.
Seattle Podiatrist is offline   Reply With Quote