PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.5/175.5/135

Height: 5'-4 1/4"

Default Anyone have success with South Beach Diet?

I was diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago and pre-diabetes (glucose intolerance) last year. I have never been able to stick with a diet and am at my highest wt ever right now. Has SBD worked for any of you? I'm thinking of trying it since at least 3-4 of my drs. have mentioned it to me.
Gymrat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Other than sporadic tries, I've never officially followed south beach diet for any extended period of time. At my highest weight, I was heavily influenced by south beach diet and followed a lot of the principles and I credit south beach diet with helping me down a path of healthier eating. Overall, I think its a great plan but if you find yourself stalling with weight loss, I'd suggest implementing calorie counting and south beach diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #3  

On the SBD board I asked about doing SBD + WW. Then I decided I hate to count points and measure everything. The thing is, I may just have to do it to lose this weight. SBD should help with my low blood sugar and pre-diabetes but I may need the structure of WW. I'm soooo confused! I guess it won't hurt to try it for a few days.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #4  
Just Me

When I was over 300 lbs, I got away with not counting calories. Although now I've found its impossible to lose weight without counting calories or points which is why I joined weight watchers. I basically eat lots of low glycemic whole foods.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #5  

Nelie, you've done an amazing job. I see you've lost 162#? Awesome.

I can't seem to get started to lose the 30-40 lbs I need to lose. I just may have to do what you're doing, join WW and eat low glycemic foods. And, get the junk out of the house!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200.5/200.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I tried South Beach and just couldn't stick to it. No way. I have educated myself about The Insulin Resistance Diet, and am starting it today.

It has a lot of variety - no phases like South Beach - actually there's a lot about South Beach that didn't make sense to me...for one, like the limit on carrots! The Insulin Resistance Diet discusses that very topic, that carrots have a very low glycemic response and do not have to be limited in any diet. Yeah, I know South Beach has worked for many, but too many other things just didn't make sense to me.

I feel I've found an eating plan that I can really stick to.

Whatever you choose, the best to you. It's hard finding an eating plan that's totally right for us! I am so happy that I've found mine.
HisImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #7  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisImage View Post
I tried South Beach and just couldn't stick to it. No way. I have educated myself about The Insulin Resistance Diet, and am starting it today.

It has a lot of variety - no phases like South Beach - actually there's a lot about South Beach that didn't make sense to me...for one, like the limit on carrots! The Insulin Resistance Diet discusses that very topic, that carrots have a very low glycemic response and do not have to be limited in any diet. Yeah, I know South Beach has worked for many, but too many other things just didn't make sense to me.

I feel I've found an eating plan that I can really stick to.

Whatever you choose, the best to you. It's hard finding an eating plan that's totally right for us! I am so happy that I've found mine.
The 'old' south beach limited carrots because they were going by the glycemic index of carrots rather than the glycemic load. Since new research came out about glycemic load, south beach diet has been modified slightly so that carrots are limited in phase 1 but not the regular phase 2. Also Phase 1 is only 2 weeks in south beach diet and the book specifically says you can start with phase 2 if you want.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #8  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisImage View Post
I still eat limited amounts of carrots from time to time... and it doesn't seem like it's impacted my weight loss so far.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 02-13-2009 at 11:23 AM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote