Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #1  

Default Need a little advice on my diet and routine

i am 28 years old on August 2008 I was about 400lbs + a little and I decided to do something about it so I started walking everyday. I had to start at about 6 miles a week and finally got up to about 20 miles a week at the end of October. At this point in October I decided to start a new way of eating, I cut out all the junk foods, all fast food, and all soft drinks. In November I started lifting weights and cutting down on the walking. So far I am trying to eat around 1500 cal a day and cut as much fat out of my diet as possible.

I am now lifting weights for 2 hours a day and 30min of walking/jogging after the workout sessions. My days meals normally look something like this

Breakfast: 8am

8oz fat free milk
1 cup Wheaties
1 banana
12oz coffee

Snack: 10am

1 grapefruit

Lunch: 11:45

Salad from Subway no cheese. Double meat turkey breast or chicken breast
olive oil and vinegar.

20oz water

Snack 3:00 pm

1 Grapefruit
1 apple

Dinner 8:00pm

10oz chicken pan cooked

2 1/2 cups random veggy

20oz non fat milk

6oz red wine

My main question is I have been stuck at like 318-320 for 3 weeks and was wondering if there is a good supplement that could maby help push me along a little. I do not EVER plan on eating the way I use to or go back to a sedintary life style.

Another question is, does anyone see something I should add or remove from my diet ?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Would also like to add that my work outs i would say are usally pretty intense i normally sweat quite a bit the entire 2 1/2 hours in the gym
seytonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I don't see anything particularly wrong with your diet. Perhaps a little high on the milk in the evening, but since it's fat free you should be okay. Are you faithfully measuring everything? Cereal can be really hard to get the right amount for a serving size. Although alcohol can be a detriment to dieting, my doctor recommends 4 ounces per night as well (for cholesterol control). 10 ounces of chicken is a bit much--most diets suggest 4 ounces as a serving. Also, pan fried? Are you adding oil or using Pam?

We've all hit plateaus, and I wouldn't worry about a 3 week plateau. Keep on plugging away and eventually your body will respond. Also be aware that weight training, while reducing your body size may not shed pounds quickly. That's because you're replacing fat with muscle that weighs a bit more but takes up less space. Have you measured yourself with a tape measure?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Congratulations on all the progress you have already had. You have approached things slow and steady and that is perfect. So many of us try to fix everything all at one time, and that is near impossible.

Plateaus are common, and if this is the first 3 week plateau you have had that is great! I would look at shaking up your caloric intake up a little bit, I don't see where you mentioned how much you eat, or if you even track calories, that is something to look at. Asyour body changes, and work outs change, you often have to adjust your intake (not always to be less! with 2 1/2 hour work outs you may not be getting enough!)

Low fat milk is a great finish up for the day after that much work out too.

Onl thing I was wondering about was fiber.........it looks like carbs are extremely low (from whole grains and such) Dont be afraid of those, that is healthy fuel for your body! Brown rice, black beans, whole grains......all something I would add. Gives you more fuel and increases your fiber. The Wheaties are certainly a good start for the day though.

All in all I would say shake things up a bit, I bet you will see new results. But in order to do that you need to know what your intake is now in order to know what to change.

Keep up the good work.
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

You need more fat. The good kind from olive oil, nuts, avocado etc. I know it makes sense to cut out fat when you want to lose it, but your body needs it to function. Fat helps you stay full since it takes longer to digest. When I finally started eating more fat, I broke a 4 month plateau and lost my last 20 pounds.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #5  

Yes i am careful to measure everything out pretty well. I eat 10 oz of chicken because i need protein because of my heavy resistance training and i use pam to fry it. Yeah i have measured myself my measurements are

Waist -52"
chest -52"
arms - 18"
hips - 48"
thighs - 27"
calves -19.5"
shoulders- 57"
neck -18"

Thanks for the response !
Old 02-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #6  

My normal daily intake looks somthing like this

Cal - 1400-2000

Protein - 150 -230

Carbs - 120-170

fats - 10g - 30

Thanks for all the help thus far !
Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #7  

fat is way too low. Your body will eventually rebel against you. I cut down to 20 g of fat once for a few weeks. My hair started to fall out, my skin was awful, I had zero energy and i stopped losing weight. Lifting weights for 2 hours every day is too much. Muscles grow and get stronger during rest periods, not during the actual workout. A little less weights, more fats and see what happens.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #8  

What kinds of fats ? i mean from what foods should i be getting my fats? and how much per day should i get ?

thanks so much for the help
Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #9  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

My suggestion = change up your breakfast. You should start your day out with a protein (my suggestion would be egg whites). My favorite all time breakfast is my yummier version of the Egg McMuffin - 1 Thomas Lite Whole Wheat English Muffin w/ 1 egg white, 1 slice Jenno-O (20 calorie) bacon, 1 slice 2% milk cheese (I also add in sliced mushrooms sauteed in a very small amount of EVOO & garlic/herb Mrs. Dash) - yummy! Its only 190 calories, so you can add a fruit if you want.

I wouldn't suggest having a glass of wine every night.

If you are wanting to drop lbs then I would up the cardio to 1 hr/day and 1 hr of lifting weights (nothing too heavy). Just be sure you are doing your upper one day and lower the next (which I'm sure you are already aware of).

I'm very proud of you for starting and sticking to this! I wish you nothing but the very best!
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #10  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by seytonon View Post
What kinds of fats ? i mean from what foods should i be getting my fats? and how much per day should i get ?

thanks so much for the help
http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

this site might help answer some questions
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #11  

the kinds I suggested in my first post. Monos and polys. A little saturated is ok, but make sure majority comes from the unsaturated kinds.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #12  

Well i had noticed something wierd a few weeks ago. my weight was at 330 and i hadnt moved in like 2 weeks. well i came home and ate peanut butter sandwich something which i had not eaten in a long time. and 3 days later i checked my weight and i had lost almost 4 lbs. I thought it was strange =)
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Weight loss is a strange animal!! We've all pondered the why's and why not's when we lose or gain.

I have to agree that the egg white mcmuffin on whole wheat is a fabulous breakfast! I eat that several mornings a week myself.

I don't think you're too low in fats. I've lost on 10% fat intake without adverse reaction, but if you want to add some good fats, avocados, olive oil, peanut butter (best to use natural and don't go overboard) or any other nuts (preferably raw--raw almonds are really yummy) are good sources of good fats.

A suggestion for a morning cereal--try Fiber One. It's ridiculously low in calories due to it being artificially sweetened. Try this: get a whole wheat tortilla (La Tortilla brand) and heat in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. Smear with 1 T natural peanut butter. Sprinkle with 1/4 c Fiber one and then roll a banana up in it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote