Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #1  
Bee

S/C/G: 262.8/262.8/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Initial Stages of Induction

Well, it's coming to the end of my second day on Atkins Induction. Yesterday I consumed 17.5g carbs, and today was 21g carbs. The initial weight drop between yesterday morning and this morning was 2.8lbs. I'm eating a lot of veggies, and I am counting the carbs in lettuce, so I think some of those carbs may be more innocuous than others.

Thus far, I haven't yet felt hungry. I rarely feel like eating, though, and I've noticed that I can make a dish, enjoy it while I'm eating it, but later when I'm packing up the leftovers the smell makes me nauseous. I hear that this is fairly normal, so I'm not worried.

I'm not yet happy with this diet, though. While I'm fairly happy with the plan during the day, every night I want to just quit and eat a muffin or something. I know the carb cravings are totally natural, but they're also totally intense, and none of my friends really understand (because they regularly get their fix!). Still, I've told myself that if at the end of Induction, I'm still miserable, I won't pursue it any longer. But I feel like I should be able to stick to something for 14 days, because that's such a speck of time in the course of my life. I hope things improve, but if they don't I'll know that I gave it up not because I wanted a quick carb fix, but because I gave it a fair shot and it wasn't the right plan for me. At this point, though, it is hard to imagine feeling happy long-term with eating the foods I eat.

That said, I can't wait for OWL! I was a fairly big fruit person before this, so the thought of (a portion of!) berries is enticing. And roasted pumpkin seeds? I'll have an ounce, please! I think once I'm detoxed from sugars and start OWL, I won't have the same urge to binge on such items because I won't be hungry.

But who knows? My experience today already dramatically differed from my experience yesterday, so who knows where I'll be in weeks or months from now!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on sticking it out during your cravings! I am also on my second day of induction! I have done Atkins before with good success. I have however been trying to lose weight by counting calories and exercising a lot. I did great losing 11 pounds but then it stopped! So I am now going back to the only way I have ever really lost weight and made any sort of scale victory.

I will agree with you about wanting to give up! Induction can be **** in its purest form. But the rewards are great!

I also get the nauseous feeling with food too. And usually by week two I am consuming a lot less food and I actually can't finish my food because I feel sick. But you have to make meals with a lot of variety. Eating the same dishes all the time is what kills me! I hope I can get through the next few weeks and get to my vacation goal of losing 20 pounds by march 25. I know its a big goal but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Keep up the good work and hang in there!
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post

I'm not yet happy with this diet, though. While I'm fairly happy with the plan during the day, every night I want to just quit and eat a muffin or something. I know the carb cravings are totally natural, but they're also totally intense, and none of my friends really understand (because they regularly get their fix!). Still, I've told myself that if at the end of Induction, I'm still miserable, I won't pursue it any longer.
Being miserable with an eating plan is not a recipe for success. You sound very undecided about Atkins for several reasons. If you feel you need to "get your fix"...there are low carb alternatives including muffins that are suitable for Induction But, the bottom line is, you need to find something that works for you that you will stick with for the rest of your life. Losing weight & keeping it off isn't about a diet, its about a lifestyle change.

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Ive been on induction for 3 weeks about (with a few days fallen off a couple weeks ago), I dont seem to be dropping much more weight. I have huge carb cravings sometimes (I resist!) and I am so tired. Now this could be lifestyle because Im out of the house for 14 hrs a day, but Im still waiting for the boost of energy. I don't want to add carbs because I have PCOS and believe that this is the only thing that will work for me. I just want someone to tell me it will get better and the weight will melt off! I am following it, I swear!
also another thing, if lettuce/spinach is so low in carbs, how come the book only wants you to have 2-3 cups?
thanks
Willow324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow324 View Post
also another thing, if lettuce/spinach is so low in carbs, how come the book only wants you to have 2-3 cups?
On Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from salad & veggies on the acceptable foods list. I always ate more than 2-3 cups of salad & veggies...I still do
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #6  
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Being miserable with an eating plan is not a recipe for success. You sound very undecided about Atkins for several reasons. If you feel you need to "get your fix"...there are low carb alternatives including muffins that are suitable for Induction But, the bottom line is, you need to find something that works for you that you will stick with for the rest of your life. Losing weight & keeping it off isn't about a diet, its about a lifestyle change.
Yes, I know, which is why I said that I'm sticking it out for the full induction period to see if I get any less miserable. How do I sound undecided about Atkins, other than not yet being sure that it's the program for me? It's been two days, of course I'm not yet ready to commit to this way of eating for life! I think it's totally reasonable to test the waters and see how my body reacts to something before I commit.

I think I could be happy with Atkins long-term, just not the Induction stage of Atkins long-term, you know what I mean?

What's frustrating thus far is that my body certainly responds well to Atkins with weight-loss.. I was down another 1.8lbs this morning, for a grand total of 4.6lbs gone in two days. But I'm not yet sure this is something that is practical for my body and lifestyle long-term; it depends how the rest of induction goes, if the nausea and diarrhea go away, and if I can stop obsessing about food.

Last edited by Bee; 02-11-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Do you mind if I ask what a typical day's menu looks like for you?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

I just wanted to jump in on this.

I'm on day 11 of induction. I only weigh once a week, and after the first week lost 4.5 lbs. I too suffered from the sick feeling of just not wanting to eat, but it only lasted a few days. The desire to eat has completely gone. I was most definitely an overeater....not anymore.

As someone who was definitely addicted to carbs, the cravings are completely gone. Not to say a muffin doesn't look tasty, but the reality is that isn't now, nor was it ever, something that will lead me to a healthy lifestyle.

I plan to remain on induction for a while, but do look forward to trying some of the low carb biscuits and other goodies allowed after induction. Like others have said, it is a lifestyle change. If there's not a commitment to giving up those refined sugars, the cravings will always be there.

As I sat here writing this, my goodies from netrition arrived!

Bee: I think the obession will go away, once you start finding appropriate foods to satisfy your 'hunger'. Not just physical hunger, but the hunger that keeps us focused too intently on foods and habits that just are healthy.

I read someone's tag my first day here. It said, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." I tell myself that each time one of my 'friends' tempts me with chocolate or 'just one bite' of their dessert.

You can do it. It is worth it.
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

It was a hard lesson for me to learn that I am one of those people that can't handle 'just one bite' when it comes to carbs . . . Atkins isn't the right lifestyle for everyone, but it is for me. Bee is right to give it some time before she decides. Good luck to us all!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #10  
Bee

JerseyGryl, sure! I can't really give a 'typical' menu, but I can tell you what I ate the past two days.

yesterday:
• 3 egg omelet with 1oz cheddar

• tuna salad with:
- ½ stalk celery
- 1/8 cup onion
- ½ can tuna
- mayo

• 6 baby dill pickles
• 1 hardboiled egg
• string cheese

• 1 cup sliced cucumber
• Caesar dressing

• ¼ of ground pork mixture with:
- ¼ cup onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup red pepper
• 1oz cheddar cheese

• 1 cup serving of sugar-free jello

today:
• 3 egg omelet with 1oz cheese
• 6 cherry tomatoes

• string cheese

• ½ red pepper
• 2tbsp sour cream

• salad with:
- lettuce
- 2 pieces bacon
- 2 pieces chicken
- Caesar dressing

• ¼ ground pork mixture with:
- ¼ cup onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup red pepper
• 1oz cheddar cheese
• 3tbsp sour cream
• 3 cherry tomatoes
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Hi Bee,

Your menu looks good with a few minor exceptions Onion, unfortunately is "carby"...its allowed on Induction but, keep in mind that its higher in carbs. The same with tomatoes.
What is your fat intake like?
Also, do you make your own sugar-free jello? Most of the packaged brands contain aspartame.
How much water are you drinking?
Sorry for all the questions Just trying to help you out
Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #12  
Bee

I appreciate your help, JerseyGryl!

I don't know exactly how much fat I'm getting, but I'm using full-fat everything (salad dressing, sour cream) and I cooked the chicken in the bacon fat the other day.

I know that onions and tomatoes are higher in carbs (as vegetables go), but I've definitely been measuring the amount to ensure that I stay within my carb limit for the day.

I used the recipe for Jello that I found here: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/no_carb_jello.html It's induction-friendly, no?

I've always been a big water drinker; it's basically all I drink. I carry around a 1L Sigg with me all day, and usually drink 3-4L
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Bee...sounds like you're doing everything right
Detoxing from a lifetime of carbs can be a difficult experience...but, it gets better, really it does!
Keep up the good work, it will pay off
All the best to you!!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 226/215/175

Height: 5'7"

what is so bad about aspartame?
Willow324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow324 View Post
what is so bad about aspartame?
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspar...en_dangers.htm
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/symptoms.htm
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspar..._gain_myth.htm
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fda.htm