Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Default Vanity sizing makes me feel cheated

Clothes manufacturers started mislabeling clothes ostensibly to make us feel better about ourselves and their companies. But doesn't it make you guys feel worse sometimes?

I went to the mall this morning and saw a fabulous dress that I had no intention of buying but wanted to try anyway to feel pretty--I grabbed an 8 and a 10 off the rack because that's about what I should be given my measurements. Both were too big. I tried a 6--still too big. I had to go down to a 4 to get the bust and waist to finally fit. But instead of being flattered, I was outraged. Since when is 36-28-38 a size 4? I had such beautiful dreams of getting down to my goal weight, sauntering into the department store and twirling around in the fitting room in a size 4 dress--it would have been a great moment in my personal history. But now, if/when that happens, I won't get the joy at all because that 4 may or may not be a real 4. It will most likely be an 8 just pretending.

It's like I've been training so hard to run an 8 minute mile, and finally do in a timed race only to be told, by the way, they shortened the "mile" by a quarter. I've been cheated of my high
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Why pay attention to the tag of the dress ? You know what size you are.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #3  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

As long as your body looks awesome in the dress, who cares what size it is!
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #4  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

tkm, I'm with you. My last time losing weight, I went to Old Navy and bought something that was 2 sizes smaller than normal--and I was mad! It's true that you get excited to go down a size and you feel like you're cheating if instead of doing the work, you just go find a brand that has that size. OR, I'll go down a size at Target, think I'm a 10, and then it turns out I am NOT a 10, maybe not even a 12 at all other stores.

Last edited by joyra; 02-08-2009 at 04:11 AM.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

You should not take it so hard, sometimes clothing is made in different locations around the world so while we go into the store to buy a pair of jeans you can look at two pairs and think they are exactly the same when in fact one was made in say italy and the other in japan and they fit different that is why it is very important to try things on. Also I learned check the outside lable as well as the inside lable I once bought a pair of paints whos tag said 12 but inside tag said 2. Lastly manufactures are sales people if a store comes phones in an order after the season and wants a size 12 and the manufacturer only has a 10 or 14 you can bet they will not be making a new pair they will change the tag and ship it out to the store.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

I agree, its so disapointing. I fit into a size 8 (uk) top recently, in what crazy world am i a size 8? Im really a size 12, thats why you cant judge weight on clothes, im sure vanity sizing is partly responsible for the obesity crisis, nobody knows how fat they are! Mostly i just hate not knowing what to take into the dressing room, i have to take an armful of clothes each time.
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote