Old 02-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Looking for accountability

Hello!

I'm new to the group and looking for someone to help keep me on track. I'm hoping to be ready for a 5k next month on my birthday but I've been slacking on my running lately. I'd love to hear about your goals and work towards them together
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #2  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Good luck! I'm not a runner, myself. I know plenty of the girls here are, though!
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I just finished working up to being able to run a 5k in 30 minutes, my next goal is to do a 10k in an hour. I'm signed up for one in June so I have time to work my way up but I too will suffer if I slack off. Have you checked out the couch to 5k site?
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #4  

i've started and restarted the c25k a few times, and I'm at the level where I can go about 20 minutes straight running but I've plateaued there. I was running about 3 times per week 2-3 miles total until I got the flu last week. I'm starting back today but I'll probably go easy at first.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Hi lobon! I'm currently training for a 10k in April. I'm a pretty slow runner, but I'm hoping to shave 5 or 10 minutes off my time two years ago (finish in 60min).
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #6  

Bikini- how long did you train before you could finish in 30 min? I was taing around 40 min before I got this flu and I really struggled on my first day back today.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I believe it took me about three months... I didn't know about the c25k at the time, bummer. Overall, it took about 3 months to easily work my way up.

I always pegged myself as one of those people who just sucked at running. One day I decided to see what I could do so got on the treadmill, set it at 5.0 and started jogging. I ran about 2 miles before stopping. I did it again a few times that week. Then a week or two later I started trying to run 3 miles at 5.0 (some days I did others I was tired and did less). Another week or two later I started running at 5.5 for intervals, then 5.7, then 6.0, etc...

Right now I can run about 4 miles in 40ish minutes, next is to get to 5 miles in 50ish minutes...

When I get sick or lazy and don't exercise I find that it takes me about two weeks on to make up for one week off. If you aren't fully well yet either that will make it a little tougher, hope your feeling better though!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hello!

I love to run It's definitely my posion of choice so far as exercise goes. I have found its worked miracles on my legs and bum but also helped my core strength and toned my arms and back.

I don't really have any races coming up any time soon. The nearest ones are in Winter (16km mountain run in July and a 14km fun run in August).

Because it's summer here and far to hot to be running great distances (unless I get up at 5:00am - not happening!) I am mainly treadmilling it at the moment with a nice outdoor run on the weekends...when its not searingly hot from dawn to dawn!

Come early next month I am going to start increasing my distances again out to 30kms. I'd love to get up to marathon distance (40kms).

My speed is okay - I do about 5k in 20 mins. For me I found (if you go to a gym) Spinning classes are wonderful for increasing you running capacity and speed. Otherwise interval sprints - slow jog and then all out til you can't go any further, slow jog then all out etc.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote