Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  

Default Warm Fuzzies :)

I'm absolutely happy right now! A friend of mine had an appointment to drop his dog off at the shelter today. (I found this out last night..) They've had her for over a year, and she got a lot bigger than the vet expected (the vet said 20lbs..Paisley ended up being 42!) Anyway, they couldn't take care of her anymore because they live in an apartment...she's part beagle and has LOTS of energy.

Anyway, their hearts were broken and couldn't find anyone to take her into their home. My heart was broken because I'm SO against animal shelters...I'd be devastated if I was forced to do that. So I got to work...

And I found Paisley a home! A friend of mine is moving into a house this weekend with a big yard, and they were going to look for a dog. I relayed all sorts of info back and forth, and it's all set up!! So Paisley doesn't have to be put into a shelter!!!

Oooooh I have warm fuzzies and I'm SO happy that I was able to save a sweet girl from having to be put into a shelter and go into a stranger's home...or worse---end up euthanized!!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

That's awesome!!!!

I've heard that dogs have a very small window to be adopted before they're euthanized. Also, being in a cage with little interaction decreases their ability to socialize. Most of them will be put down

I went to the shelter to help my friend pick out a dog and I couldn't handle it. I was bawling by the time we left.

Good for you for being proactive! Hopefully this dog found a happy forever home

Our doggy is a rescue and there's no better feeling.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

That s great news!!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/299/145

Height: 5'5"

Thats great!! You gave her a wonderful new beginning.

My local shelter is so overcrowded most dogs only get a few days before they are put down and thats if they are not any of the "bully breeds", which usually don't last but a few hours if that. My neighbor put his pit bull in the shelter, he ended up regretting it and called them a few hours later to ask if he can take him back and they had already euthanized him.
Prscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

That is great news!! I hate shelters too!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/233/150

Height: 5'7

aww that is soo awesome. I am against shelters too, most often animals dont end up well there. good for you!
Naughtymonkey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #7  
this one's for life

S/C/G: 141/139/120

Height: 5'4"

wow AWESOME JOB!!!!

that must be the best feeling ever... for you, the dog, AND the new owners!
chickennugget126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Yay good for you! I cannot even watch those commercials about animal abuse and shelters..it kills me.....I always go to the local shelter website to look at the animals up for adoption and that always tears me apart too.........
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/202/160

Height: 5'-6"

That's so great! I did the same thing as Junebug! I have been to a shelter exactly ONCE. My husband had to basically carry me out the door because I was hysterically crying!

Courtney - You did a great thing for not only the dog and her original family, but for the new family that gets to enjoy her. In September we were in a similar situation, except WE were the ones that ended up adopting a puppy that needed a good home. I can't imagine him not being a part of our family now.
Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #10  

Aw thanks ya'll!! Helping out a good friend and a sweet little girl AND another friend...man I can't tell you how good I feel! And you should see her backyard...oooh she's gonna be so HAPPY!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #11  
Meow

That is really good... it is sad when you get an animal and find out it is a lot more than expected!!
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #12  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

That is awesome! I volunteer at animal shelters, and it's hard sometimes. It's especially difficult to see people bring back pets that they didn't research well enough or prepare for. I really admire you for finding the right home for that dog. My dog is a rescue too, and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Don't be down on the shelters--they do the best they can. If the city/state doesn't give them enough money for adequate housing, and if people refuse to spay/neuter their pets and set unplanned puppies loose to starve in the streets, there's not much they can do other than house them until it would be unsanitary to keep them longer. Shelters were not created with the intent to collect animals and kill them--that's a biproduct of public irresponsibility.

If we're going to be against anybody, it should be the pet shops who buy from puppy mills and breeders who are too intent on generating cute furry merchandise to care about the animals already here.

Last edited by tkm256; 02-07-2009 at 11:03 PM.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkm256 View Post
Don't be down on the shelters--they do the best they can. If the city/state doesn't give them enough money for adequate housing, and if people refuse to spay/neuter their pets and set unplanned puppies loose to starve in the streets, there's not much they can do other than house them until it would be unsanitary to keep them longer. Shelters were not created with the intent to collect animals and kill them--that's a biproduct of public irresponsibility.

If we're going to be against anybody, it should be the pet shops who buy from puppy mills and breeders who are too intent on generating cute furry merchandise to care about the animals already here.
I don't think anyone is ragging on shelters. Shelters provide a necessary but incredibly sad function is all. Despite the good work they do, I think it should be the goal of any pet owner to keep them out of the shelter at all costs. The problem is over population, which I think we can all agree is not the fault of the shelter.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #15  

Height: 4'11"

That's great! I'm sure that dog will have a much happier life thanks to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscatip View Post
That is awesome! I volunteer at animal shelters, and it's hard sometimes. It's especially difficult to see people bring back pets that they didn't research well enough or prepare for. I really admire you for finding the right home for that dog. My dog is a rescue too, and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Oh my gosh, the puppy in your avatar is SO CUTE! What kind of dog is it? looks like a Lab, but so much cuter.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote