Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Freaking OUT!

So, I decided that calorie counting was the way to go for me (this time! LOL). I have been using TDP website (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!), but I am FREAKING OUT by the amount of sodium/cholesterol I have been eating!

I have heard about eating more 'whole' foods, but I'm not really sure what that means. I did WW for 3 yrs, and lost some weight, so the calories/points counting is about the same thing. However, I never truly realized how much salt is in the things we eat!

Anybody have any ideas on more whole foods to incorporate into your diet? I do not eat a lot of prepared foods, and I'm just shocked that by lunchtime, my sodium percentage is over 150%!!!!

lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd recommend looking at our whole foods forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Also, was the core program out when you did weight watchers? The core program basically focuses on Whole foods.

Whole foods are basically foods in their most basic element. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Well, it just means less processed. The more packaging on something, generally the more sodium. Also - the deeper towards the center of your grocery store that you shop, the more sodium those items contain.

And things you don't expect to have sodium, but do like milk and SF/FF pudding mixes all can add up quick.

If you don't eat a lot of processed items but are still getting a lot of sodium, what are you eating? Give us a list and we can help give you some subs.

Last edited by fiberlover; 02-05-2009 at 03:01 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I know, it's mind boggling when you look at the amounts in some things. I started watching my sodium in October when I found out I had high blood pressure and I was shocked at what I had been eating.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #5  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

what foods was all the sodium coming from? i'm worried now!

edit: just checked some cup-a-soups on my desk, from 2 of them today that makes 1420 mg (out of 1600 mg RDA, eek). i've had feta cheese and soy sauce today as well

Last edited by froggie83; 02-05-2009 at 03:28 PM.
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

My turkey and cheddar sandwich, using multi grain bread, and lowfat cheese, is a whopping 1250mg of sodium! EEEK! I guess the turkey must have the sodium in it.

I guess this is teaching me that ...one step at a time. I feel the victory for counting calories. As I move forward, READING labels and making SMARTER choices will be key.

Imagine what I was eating before...AAAAYYYY CARUMBA!!!!

When I did WW, the core program was just starting. It wasn't for me. The thought of not counting anything and being left to my own devices to decide WHEN I was full was a VERY BAD IDEA!!!! I cannot be trusted, that much I know about myself. At least at the onset!

lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/181/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Lunch meats have a ton of sodium in them. I tend to stay away from them. The only time I eat lunch meat is if I go to a sub place. Maybe you can go for low sodium lunch meat the next time you shop if it's available.

I have to watch my sodium intake too. I take medication for HBP so in addition to counting calories I have to watch my sodium intake too. One thing I have learned is just because something is low calories doesn't make it healthy.

I try to cook most of my own meals. That way I can control what's going into my meals. I try to stay away from frozen meals and soups, even the reduced sodium ones. Healthy choice soups are pretty good in the sodium dept. though. You may have to pay more but I think it's worth it. I also steer clear of canned vegetables. Do fresh or frozen.

Not adding salt to food is pretty obvious. Also, Chinese food has a lot of sodium in it. I love Chinese food but when I realized how much sodium is in some meals (some have 100% and more of RDA for sodium), I realised that the best thing to do was to cut back on it. Doing steamed Chinese also helps.

Be careful of salad dressing too. That's a hidden source of sodium as well.
FaithBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Read the nutritional info on every item you buy and avoid the things that are high in sodium. When cooking from scratch you can control the salt that you use. I haven't salted eggs in years, I do use pepper. though. Anyone eating at my house knows to use the salt shaker because I haven't put salt in anything, there are seasonings out there that do not contain salt.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 188/173.7/170

Height: 5'7.5"

I second what everyone here says about processed foods - I get most of my sodium from lunch meats too, because they're so convenient! I sometimes use leftover chicken in my sandwiches, and I've been having tuna more often. But the heart and stroke foundation recommends no more than 2300mg of sodium per day - the RDA is much lower, but it's not actually dangerous to go up to 2300mg unless you're at risk for heart disease (high blood pressure, cholesterol etc.). With all the sodium in food, it's hard to even stay that low!

Last edited by Hummus; 02-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Hummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #10  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Lunch meats are sodium bombs. It's really amazing! I don't even eat them any more.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #11  
Meow

I am in the same boat as you, I try hard to watch it, but I tend to like soup a bit too much and I always go over!!
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote