Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/233/150

Height: 5'7

Default Ravenous after a workout? Me too.

I went looking today after my tough gym time. I workout and then am yelling that i need to eat NOW! lol at least i know why.

Exercise more, eat more? Don't let post-workout hunger sabotage your diet
By Jacqueline Stenson
MSNBC contributor
msnbc.com
updated 6:54 p.m. ET, Thurs., March. 10, 2005
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('632460956936130000');
What should you do if the more you sweat, the hungrier you get? And what's the best way to conquer fitness-club fears? Smart Fitness answers your queries. Have a fitness question? To e-mail us, click here. We’ll post select answers in future columns.
Q: OK, I know that to lose weight I need to burn more calories than I consume. However, since I started exercising last month, I often am starving after my workouts. My exercise routine consists of 30 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes of weight-lifting, at least four times per week. I would love to lower my caloric intake but am ravenous sometimes. I'm a middle-aged woman hoping to lose about 30 pounds. Any advice?
A: It seems like a cruel joke to anyone trying to shed pounds, but exercising may actually make some people hungrier, experts say.
While some research in men has found that exercise can blunt appetite, a new study of women suggests the contrary.
Canadian researchers at the University of Ottawa found that young women consumed more calories in the hour after they exercised at a high intensity than when they exercised moderately or not at all. The 13 study participants consumed 878 calories during lunch after a morning session of high-intensity exercise (walking at a fast pace on a treadmill), 819 calories after low-intensity exercise (walking at a slower pace on a treadmill) and 751 calories after not exercising.
What’s more, when the women exercised at a high intensity they ate almost enough calories to make up for the ones they burned while working out, according to results published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Though more studies are needed, anecdotal reports support the findings, says Beth Kitchin, a registered dietitian and assistant professor of nutrition sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
"I have heard from some women that this is a problem with them," she says. Women have even told her they don't want to exercise because they feel they gain more weight because of their hunger.
It makes sense that hunger could spike after exercise, says Debra Wein, an exercise physiologist and registered dietitian at the University of Massachusetts in Boston and president of The Sensible Nutrition Connection, a consulting firm.
“Your cells are literally hungry for fuel after a hard workout because you’ve used up a lot of your carbohydrate stores,” Wein says. Carbohydrates are stored in muscle as glycogen, and the harder you work out the more you burn, she explains.
But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t work out, or that you shouldn’t work out hard — if that’s what you like. Minute for minute, the harder you exercise the more calories you’ll burn overall. And weight loss comes down to calories in versus calories out.
So don't fight your body on this one. Within half an hour of exercise, have a high-carbohydrate snack with a little protein, Wein recommends. Good examples include yogurt with a piece of fruit, or half a peanut butter sandwich on whole-grain bread.
Waiting too long to eat may only fuel your hunger, causing you to overeat at your next meal. “To try to not eat after your workout is self-defeating,” Wein says.
The key is to keep your eye on your total daily caloric intake. Instead of three large meals a day, balance out your calories over three smaller meals and two snacks, Wein recommends. That way you can have a snack after your workout, when you're hungry, but still not tack on extra calories to your daily total.
Drinking water after exercise is good not only for replacing lost fluids, but also for helping you avoid excess calories, according to Wein. “Some people tend to eat when they’re just thirsty.”
It's also important to not start out your exercise routine hungry. Kitchin says it's a big mistake, for instance, to exercise after work without having had a snack an hour or two beforehand. Compound the problem by not having a snack, even an apple, afterward and your body hasn't had fuel since lunch. The end result may be that you give in to quick junk food instead of preparing a healthy dinner.
Naughtymonkey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #2  

this just started within the week and i totally think it is why my weightloss has really slowed.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I'd still rather exercise than not, and sometimes, not all the time, eat a little more after my workouts... The trick for me is to make the right/healthy choices...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #4  

oh def me too. I think my new trick is just drink more water and eat a little something before.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Oh good, I wsa thinking that it was just me starving after getting home from the gym. I go to the gym at 5 am 3-4 days per week so when I get back I just try and have a small bowl of healthy cereal or a scrammbled egg and a piece of wheat toast and that tides me over until an early lunch.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #6  
=D

I usually have a 100 calorie glucose pack straight after an intense workout and i dont get ravenous afterwards like i used to.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza View Post
I usually have a 100 calorie glucose pack straight after an intense workout and i dont get ravenous afterwards like i used to.
What is a glucose pack?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #8  
=D

Ilene, I call them glucose packs - that might not be the best term.

They're energy gels - you know - the kind that come in aluminium sachets and you can buy in cycle shops, vitamin sections of grocery stores etc?

They've got 27g of carbs and taste like vanilla
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote