Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/130/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Time of day to exercise .... does it REALLY matter?

When I met with a trainer last summer, he told me that cardio is best done in the morning (before major breakfast, although its fine to grab a little snack before you go) and weight lifting is best done around 3 or 4:00 in the afternoon.

With my class schedule, I would have to get up at 4:30 or 5:00 AM to get my workout in, eat a good breakfast, shower, and be ready for my day -- much too early for this girl!!! However, I would be able to do a not-so-early morning workout on Wednesday's and the weekends.

Most of the time, I end up going to work out sometime between 11:00 AM and 2:30 PM on the weekdays, around my class schedule.

However, I have noticed that when I do end up working out later (after 6:30 PM) it really seems to eliminate those night-time cravings! And those bored night time cravings are what usually kicks my diet.

I don't have a problem falling asleep at night when I work out late (as many people do) so I am just wondering: Is it REALLY that much more physically beneficial to work out in the morning before breakfast?

Or is it just more of a matter that you workout daily at some point?

I work in 4 sessions of HIIT cardio a week and I've been told that by doing HIIT in the morning, you will burn fat the rest of the day. Is there a difference if you burn fat the rest of the day or if you will burn fat overnight while you sleep (if you do your HIIT cardio in the evening)?

So what do you all think about late (after 6:30 PM) workouts?
beau159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #2  
FB

In my limited experience, some trainers like to be considered experts and often will make up nonsense rules.

The best time of day to exercise is when you do it.

I work out in the morning, occasionally in the afternoon and often at night. IMO, as long as I'm doing it - no matter! I've always done that haphazard schedule and somehow managed to burn over 100 pounds of fat off. Fat doesn't tell time.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #3  
FB

I also agree wholeheartedly that night time workouts are AWESOME for combating evening munchy urges. I've never found a better way to beat that.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I usually work out at 7 or 8pm. I've tried morning workouts but I have no energy! I need a good meal before I can do anything lol.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #5  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

The best time to workout is 1) when it's convenient for you; and 2) when you will do your best workout. I can not work out early in the morning. I am not and will never be a morning person. I do my best workouts in the later afternoon or the evening. You do what works best for YOU not what others tell you..what works for them may not work for you.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #6  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

For about two years, I was working out in the evenings; but due to a job change, I had to start going in the mornings. The switch had zero effect on my weight loss.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

LOL, I'll say it REALLY matters - It REALLY matters that you do it when it works for you. The workout you actually do has so much more effect than the one that just doesn't work well for you and you don't do regularly.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
LOL, I'll say it REALLY matters - It REALLY matters that you do it when it works for you. The workout you actually do has so much more effect than the one that just doesn't work well for you and you don't do regularly.
Well said Julie, I couldn't have said it better myself... Beau, just DO IT, when YOU can

Last edited by Ilene; 02-05-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #9  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I noticed that if I don't eat something I get light headed if I work out in the morning (not to mention I am NOT a morning person). BUT, if I do eat to close to the time that I work out my stomach hurts afterwards.
So I eat dinner at 6 and do my "exercise" at 7pm.

I agree that working out in the evenings does help curb my nite time cravings.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I agree with the other posters that say as long as you are consistent, this is the most important thing--not when it's happening. I actually feel that way about my calories too. As long as I am getting my calorie deficit each day, I am not too concerned about WHEN those calories are consumed. Just by nature I like to eat in the evening.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote