Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Gym Clothes HELP!

I own one pair of polyester jogging pants to work out in and have just gotten back into the habit of getting up every morning at 6 to get to the gym early while its dead. The problem is is that this is my ONLY pair of workout attire and I cannot find anything that looks halfway decent. I'm 20, not 80.

So on that note:

A) Does anyone know where to find some cute, flattering, and (dare I say it?) edgy workout clothes?

B) How many sets should I have for a typical week? I do cardio for an hour everyday, weight training twice a week, yoga once a week, pilates once a week, and a bellydancing class, so this one pair of pants and a T-shirt are NOT going to cut it.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I love to work out in old t-shirts that are pretty form fitting since it is very hard to run with a big, floppy men's shirt. I also have to run in shorts that cover my thighs well, so as not to chafe. Chafing is my nemesis. Anyways, I have about crap load of shirts and likewise for shorts.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #3  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Wow Gypsy you really workout alot! Thats awesome. I remember when I use to be dedicated at it, and wish I could get that mindset back, because I felt so good when I did.

Workout clothes I vary on. I love Danskin, as it seems to last forever, has the polyster movement to it and comes in so many styles. I have the knickers, the long stretch pants and the shorts (they are edgy). I also love Danskin workout tops, tanks and then when not caring I do sometimes wear the thinner cotton t-shirts. I don't like the thick cotton as I feel overheated when working out. I buy Danskin at Sports Authority and more recently now Wal-mart does carry some of their workout gear.

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I run every morning and literally look like a homeless woman running down the street. I never skimp on shoes or a bra--those items are top notch. I have two good running bras and two good pairs of running shoes. Everything else (mismatched, holes, 10 years old or belonging to my hubby or children) is fair game as long as I can move in it. Once it warms I am hoping I will be thin enough to wear spandex running pants or shorts with a tank.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #5  

mygrits- I have a workout buddy, a trainer provided by the school (but only occasionally; he sets me up on a workout and then for a few weeks I do it by myself until I need to switch it up), and a great free gym at school that offers a lot of classes. Trust me, last semester, I was watching movies on my laptop a LOT and eating way too much takeout, I've only just started on this rigorous workout routine. Bellydancing is more fun than workout for me, and the troupe is auditioning at the end of the semester for 5 more members.

I'm considering just getting some sewing patterns and making my own clothes, buying some cool appliques from Hot Topic or online and making clothes that actually feel good and look good. It's just the same old story of how the fashion industry doesn't care so much about plus-size and basically sells us tasteless tents or over-priced half-cute things. We need a fashion revolution.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Severina View Post
B) How many sets should I have for a typical week?
Two of everything (except socks, which you'd want enough for however many days between when you do laundry and when you next do laundry)should be fine as long as you're willing to rinse stuff out between laundry days.

I think you might want to look at wicking fibers rather than random fashiony tee-shirts, FWIW. For me, workout clothes aren't a fashion thing so much as a function thing.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Shop clearance racks and discount stores. I'm currently using two identical capri stretch pants (Danskin) that I got on clearance at Kohl's for less the $5 each. I would have bought more if they'd had them
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #8  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I hope we get more responses on this thread - I too am on the look out for cute, edgy, practical work out stuff to no avail. I know it's got to be out there somewhere!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #9  
Changing behaviours

I'm not an alternachick - more of a conservativchick! - but Costco has good workout clothes sometimes. I got Aviva and Fila stretch pants, $15 each I think (I'm in Canada), and they have the tops too.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ 248/ 165

Height: 5' 11"

I wear a lot of Under Armor and Adidas.
I like http://www.sportsauthority.com/shop/...topnav_apparel
As well as http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/ca...goryId=2791768 , http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...arelFromHeader , and http://www.jjbsports.com/sportswear .
Now looking through my closet I think that the majority of my stuff actually comes from Ross. I know I'm showing how thrifty (cheep) I am. Their prices are sometimes worth the hassle of their store and they have a huge selection of sports ware is all sizes.
I have 9 work out outfits. I work out 5 days a week, at least, and every time my clothes are drenched. So i guess the number of workout clothes you have depends on how much you sweat.
Hope you find some good stuff. It kinda helps motivate me as well. When I get a new T or pants I wana break um in at the gym.

Last edited by zerocool; 02-04-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #11  

Ok so last time I looked at Lane Bryant they didn't have anything special. BUt last night I found some really awesome but still overpriced pants and jackets:
Butterfly Pants
Cherish pants
Beauty pants

All of these have matching jackets. Tops aren't as big of a deal as bottoms, I can get a couple of camis or tanks to match, but finding semi-flattering pants is extremely hard. Still debating on whether I want to pay for those or make my own.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I wear tight capris or knee-length shorts in the gym, or tights if I'm running outside in the winter. I like tighter stuff because a) there's no risk of anyone seeing up my shorts during a class, and b) there's no chafing. You can always wear looser shorts over top if you don't think they look good. My favorite items are by champion, under armour, and danskin.

I wear whatever t-shirts are on clearance at the sporting goods store. I've got a lot of adidas and under armour.

I can't stand to wear cotton while working out, but if you can, it certainly makes things cheaper and gives you more options. I've seen some cotton "yoga clothes" that come in nice colors or prints and cuter styles.

I try not to shop at Target whenever possible, but they do have some really nice and inexpensive workout clothes. I've even found a few shirts at Kohl's before.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #13  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

S/C/G: 328.6/272.0/160

This may sound strange but I have 2 pairs of maternity yoga type pants that i wear all the time while i work out. I found that since i seem to have a larger 'backside' than most pants are built for if you ever bend over or whatever at the gym while doing various excersises or streches your pants would go down as well, the waist in the maternity pants go a lot higher and i dont have that problem as well. And ... you can get a much smaller size than normal lol i wear about a 2x normally and those pants are a medium i think lol.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #14  

Gypsy,

You bring up an important point. I go hiking in the a.m. sometimes & leave super early, when I'm leaving I don't care what I look like and wear some crappy old T-shirt and equally crappy faded old leggings or something....on the hiking trail it's OK

But sometimes if I stop by the grocery store on the way home or for a cup of coffee, I'm suddenly SUPER aware like OMG I look like ****! And it's not really necessary -- I might follow your lead and get just a couple of "nice" sweatie things. There's some nice ones here:

http://www.alight.com/cat-0010-active.html
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

All the really neat looking stuff I see is for the thin chicks

How about making your own edgy stuff? Buy some fabric paint and turn an ordinary t-shirt or leggings into a work of art? If you're not artistically inclined, print out a couple of simple line images you like , cut them out and use them as a template to transfer the design to your clothes.

And yeah - you're definitely going to need more than one set . I have five pairs of leggings and six tank tops, as well as some bike shorts. I exercise four or five days a week. I could get by with two sets of exercise clothes if I needed to, but I get lazy with laundry.

BP
Closed Thread