Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #1  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default short bio and ear wear advice needed!!

Hi, a quick bio first:

I'm 23, work in the white collar corporate world, and have difficulty maintaining my self expression while still presenting myself as professional and respectable (and believe me, in this environment there are certain rules you need to abide by or you won't last long). I do enjoy my job very much, but sometimes I feel suffocated. I used to dye my hair crazy colors and do all sorts of fun stuff with my (3 feet of) hair - mostly braiding into tiny braids, or using 25 tiny rubberbands to make fancy designs on my head. ANYWAY, one thing I used to do that I've gotten back into is stretching my ears. It's subtle at work, but I can go nuts on the weekends at home. Plugs, spirals, etc are my version of the mainstream shoe obsession. That, and bras, but that's another story.

Anyway, this brings me to my question. I need advice! I'm shopping on Ebay (instead of doing work, I know, I know!!!) and I need some input on what to get and what I'm already planning on getting. So, here it goes:

Black Titanium - $2.49

Surgical Steel - $2.99

I don't really want to get both - I'm trying to conserve money right now. So which do you like better?

Also, I'm most likely going to get both of the following anyway, but I'm curious for the advice of fellow alternachicks (or in my case, semi-alternachicks).

Surgical Steel, threaded - $3.49

Acrylic - $1.99

By the way, I wear 4g, so the ones I get will be MUCH smaller than these. These are just stock photos.

Last edited by dominodreams; 01-30-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Formatting issues... ugh!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 AM   #2  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

In my opinion, metal makes your ears stink more. I usually use the silicone plugs.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

yeah the metal ones don't agree with my ears either. aesthetically speaking however- i really like the black titanium.
What i got that seems to go alright at my work is a pair of stone plugs- i got amethyst ones they're pretty and my ears totally don't stink anymore. yay for that.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #4  
Counter-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
yeah the metal ones don't agree with my ears either. aesthetically speaking however- i really like the black titanium.
What i got that seems to go alright at my work is a pair of stone plugs- i got amethyst ones they're pretty and my ears totally don't stink anymore. yay for that.
Yea, I've noticed some plugs make my ears "sweat" inside and they smell weird... it's probably because metal doesn't breathe...?

But yea, the ebay store I found these has a bunch of wholesale lots of 100 acrylic plugs (50 pair) so i sprung for one of those, just to see what happens.

I was thinking about work when I picked out the clear ones, the others are more weekend-wear (geez, I sound like I'm talking about clothes!). I like having lots of options for my moods.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #5  
no gravity!

S/C/G: 301.5/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Woot! I'm at 4g as well at the moment. My favorite place to buy is from Body Art Forms as they have some really great jewelry for good prices.

I know what you mean about plugs being addictive. I always want more.

I prefer glass and pyrex more than metals. Organics are great for eliminating ear-cheese but they stick in my ears like glue.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #6  
Counter-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon safari View Post
I prefer glass and pyrex more than metals. Organics are great for eliminating ear-cheese but they stick in my ears like glue.
"ear-cheese"

That made made me giggle.

I ordered the silver flared plugs, as well as the other two, and according to the tracking info they should get here tonight!! *squee*! I'll post pictures!!

These are some of what I currently have. The first are the low-key opalite plugs I currently wear to work. They have a head (like a screw head) in the front and an o-ring in the back. The second are my favorites, multicolored pyrex spirals. The third are what I had previously (those are 6g and they don't fit right). When they fell out on their own, without unscrewing the spikes, I knew it was time to upgrade, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4g opalite plug.jpg (12.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 4g pyrex spiral.jpg (13.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 6g blue spike horseshoe.jpg (15.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dominodreams; 02-04-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #7  
I'm a hustler, baby.

S/C/G: 188/147/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi! I wear mostly stainless and organic, but I also love colorful silicone earskins. The clear ones look really cool too! They are soft, comfy and pretty cheap. They also make your lobes look larger than they are... not recommended for under 4g though. I really like to buy from Bodyartforms.com because they have user submitted photos and reviews. I also get freebies each time I order and plenty of o-rings.

I can totally relate to the whole professional dress code thing. If I didn't have to worry about that, I would stretch my lobes much larger. I'm staying at 4g right now. I usually wear fairly conservative stainless plugs to work. Blah. :-/
Closed Thread