Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Birthday. (Sigh)

So my birthday is on Monday. I'm also going to a birthday party for my niece on Saturday, where there will be cake and pizza. That's no problem...I can stay away from it in situations like that.

But my own birthday...here's the issue. During my weight loss I've been diagnosed as being hypoglycemic, and the doctor said to stay away from heavy sugars. I've had too much a couple of times (snacking at work and one piece of apple pie a few weekends ago), and felt sick as a dog for a day or so afterward.

I've told the ladies at work (who always do a cake) that I can't have the sugar this year. They totally understand. My husband on the other hand....not so much. I told him that I'd find a recipe for a sugar-free or light-on-the-sugar cake or pie, since his mom insists on making one for me every year. I gave it to him...but no clues as to whether he's given it to her or not. The recipe I found was for a no-bake, sugar free cheesecake. Low on calories, too, so I could have more than one piece over a few days' time...

I feel like I should talk to his mom, but I hate making a special request when she doesn't even HAVE to do anything for me, to begin with. I tried to explain to him that the sugar even in a regular cake is too much...and that it'd be a waste because I could literally only eat a tiny piece of an ENTIRE cake made for me, and the rest would be tossed. But if she makes it, I'll feel obligated to eat some, since it was made FOR me....

What to do?!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I feel like I should talk to his mom, but I hate making a special request when she doesn't even HAVE to do anything for me, to begin with. I tried to explain to him that the sugar even in a regular cake is too much...and that it'd be a waste because I could literally only eat a tiny piece of an ENTIRE cake made for me, and the rest would be tossed. But if she makes it, I'll feel obligated to eat some, since it was made FOR me....
No no no!! This was very negative self-image. Your MIL loves you, your husband loves you, and that's why they would want to do something for you in the first place. Now it's up to you to love yourself enough to know that you are worth getting a healthy cake, if that's what you need. Call her up and tell her, 'DH told me you were thinking about baking me a cake; my dr says I cannot have sugar (etc.) so if you decide to make me one this year, let me send you some recipes that my dr says I can have, and if you don't want to bake, that's fine too."

YOU have to do this for YOU. Feeling sick is not worth it! Going off plan is not worth it! They wouldn't have been celebrating your birthday for years if they didn't love you. Now YOU have to love you.

Trust me, it's hard for me to love me so this is something I struggle with every day. Sending hugs! Oh and happy birthday.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

"But my own birthday...here's the issue. During my weight loss I've been diagnosed as being hypoglycemic, and the doctor said to stay away from heavy sugars. I've had too much a couple of times (snacking at work and one piece of apple pie a few weekends ago), and felt sick as a dog for a day or so afterward"

You must speak with your Mother in Law if you think there is any chance your husband did not give her the recipie. Take it from someone who knows too much sugar in a hypoglycemic can lead to fainting as well as not feeling well. Your body crashes from sugar at 2 times the rate of someone else. I have been there and seven stiches later in my chin, loosing seven teeth and almost breaking my Jaw it is in your best interest to talk to her
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I have to agree with the two posters above. You should make your MIL aware of your HEALTH situation. I agree with the first poster...just explain it to her and let her decide if she wants to try the new recipe or not. Either way you can thank her in advance and your body will thank you on your birthday.

ANd Happy Birthday!!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Thanks for the support, y'all!!! I'll find out if there are any cakes in the works, and plan accordingly!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's just a medical issue. You don't have to feel like you're being ungrateful. It's doctor's orders. End of story.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote