PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 04:54 PM   #1  

Angry New here, on metforming and WeightWatchers

Hello all! My name is Debbie and I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I've been on Weight Watchers for about a week or so now and I have been on metformin since December. I had initially lost 12 pounds on the metformin alone, but it came back on quite quickly.

I'm wondering if anyone out here is on weightwatchers AND on metformin and what you've seen as far as results for yourself?

Debbie

P.S. I'm on the 100+ board, too
Old 05-27-2002, 09:40 AM   #2  

Debbie!

I've been on metformin for a year and started the WW plan 4 weeks ago. I am down 6 ponds so it seems to be working. the jouirnal is the most important part for me. I do ww on line and have not visited many boards yet but I find it is similar to the sugarbusters plan; I tried it too; was a slow loser on it. Hang in there it will come off.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:04 AM   #3  

Though WW is a wonderful plan and many people find success on the plan...if you were diagnosed with PCOS, you must be following a diet that restricts high carbs. If not, you will only gain weight and lose control over your syndrome, with or without Metformin.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:52 PM   #4  

Debbie,
Old 06-10-2002, 07:55 PM   #5  

Debbie,
I just started glucophage today and started weight watchers last week. So far so good. Feel free to email me if you want a buddy. I think I'm on the 100+ list too. I tried Atkins and CAD but my doc disagrees with both because she doesn't feel they're healthy. Everyone has a different opinion. I think the thing WW is helping me the most with is PORTIONS Have a good one. Good luck
Old 06-18-2002, 10:03 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Default Metformin

Unfortunately if you are on Metformin, that must mean you are insulin resistant or have some kind of glucose intolerance. You won't be able to sustain weight loss on a high carb or high glycemic diet. There are a handful of low carb weight watchers on the board, maybe you can see what they are doing.

You might get an initial weight loss from reduction in calories, increased water and exercise, but insulin resistance can actually make you gain weight on a low fat diet. That is how I got diagnosed with PCOS. I lost 8 pounds on WW, then gained it back plus a few, when I was following the plan very closely. My biggest problem was baked potatoes and pasta, which dominated my menu.

One of the easiest low carb/low glycemic diets to mix up with WW is Sugar Busters. I would highly recommend reading about that diet, it is very livable and you can count points easily with it. Most other low carb diets are higher in fat, which makes the points accumulate very quickly.

Good luck!!
Old 06-19-2002, 12:27 PM   #7  

I completely agree with Jennifer. Well Said!

Wether you follow Atkins or Weight Watchers, you must watch your carb intake. You don't have to follow a strict low carb diet, but having PCOS and taking Metformin, a diet that restricts carbs is a must. Many doctors have different opions about the "low carb diets" and that is understandable. We are all different and require different plans. With that said, PCOS is a medical condition that has high health risks and concerns. Please, do some research and educate yourself on this syndrome. You will understand the benefits and the necessary need to cut down your carb intake.

Hope your doing well...
Closed Thread