Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default feeling guilty.... about the treadmill

I only have 2 more workouts (fri & sat) before my 7th day off (sunday) from exercise. I then weigh myself on mondays.

I haven't been able to weigh myself in three weeks (due to TOM) so I'm hoping I've lost weight.

You see, despite my TOM, I've surprised myself and have been doing hard and/or challenging workouts on the treadmill (i.e. incline and speed changes) and getting fitter as a result.

The last several days I pushed myself through grueling workouts on an incline of between levels 5.5 and 6 and between 4.0 mph to 4.2 mph.

Then today, I had a really long day on my feet all day at work... came back home, prepared my meals for tmr's breakfast/lunch (quick and easy to put together).

I usually take a 20 minute nap before exercising, but tonight I did double that amount (forty minutes) and then got on the treadmill thinking "I can't go through a tough workout tonight."

So I kept the incline to 5.5 mph tonight and the speed 3.8 mph. I still had a moderate sweat and my legs were shocked: it was like "wow! thank you for not killing us tonight!"

Don't get me wrong, most nights I can do pretty faster and at a more difficult intensity. Tonight I just felt like: "Either I go a bit slower and relax or I'm really gonna have a hard time getting on the friggin' treadmill for a workout." My TOM also didn't help either, lol

I guess... I'm currently 195 lbs and I'd dearly love to see myself knock off a few pounds by monday's weigh-in after a three week mess up due to my TOM (*which will be over before monday's weigh-in).

I'm already seeing great results in my hips as a result of my treadmill & pilates routine, etc.

I guess I'm just coming off of that "Onderland!" high and am eager to see the 180s after a decade and a half of being over 200 lbs. And I feel a bit guilty tonight for not doing as best as I could have on the other days earlier this week and really do a great workout.

I just thought it was better to try and do the workout tonight, even if it may not have lived up to the standards of TBL's Jillian Michaels

Sigh.

~ Tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

My opinion is that it's possible to push too hard, and that it doesn't get you any better results.

It seems to me that you are working out regularly at a pretty high level. Feeling like you need a rest in this case isn't the same as the reluctance some people feel to exercise at all. Give yourself a break now and then--the body needs that. Otherwise it can just start breaking down instead of building up.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My trainer recommends mixing up cardio workouts. Make some more intense and others less so. I don't think there's anything to feel guilty about -- in fact, it may be the best thing you can do for yourself!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #4  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Tea, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I can't muster up any energy to work out at all thanks to TOM, and the days leading up to it, it was touch and go. One day I could only get in 15 minutes! I was feeling guilty too, until I told myself that I'd been active up until now, and if I'm feeling terrible, then missing a few days wasn't going to do too much damage. As soon as I'm better I'll be right back on track.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Yeah Tea...don't beat yourself up. You probably needed a slower pace night on the treadmill. There is nothing wrong with that...it was probably the right thing to do. You don't have to push your body to the limits every single time. And the fact that you even got on the treadmill...well...that speaks volumns for your dedication. YOU GO GIRL!!!! Good luck on the weigh in on monday. I know you'll have lost a couple pounds...and if not...sounds like those inches are coming along nicely!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've been pushing and pushing myself on the treadmill and today (after a horrible night sleep) I just couldn't do it. Instead I lowered the speed and did a more or less flat workout rather than the butt killing hill climb I usually do. I don't feel bad--at least I exercised!

The one thing I feel guilty about with my treadmill is that I am neglecting my dog (see avatar). We used to jog three days a week. Now I do the treadmill 5-6 days a week and don't have time to walk him. So sad.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithsunshine View Post
You see, despite my TOM, I've surprised myself and have been doing hard and/or challenging workouts on the treadmill (i.e. incline and speed changes) and getting fitter as a result. The last several days I pushed myself through grueling workouts on an incline of between levels 5.5 and 6 and between 4.0 mph to 4.2 mph.

Tonight I just felt like: "Either I go a bit slower and relax or I'm really gonna have a hard time getting on the friggin' treadmill for a workout." My TOM also didn't help either, lol

I guess... I'm currently 195 lbs and I'd dearly love to see myself knock off a few pounds by monday's weigh-in after a three week mess up due to my TOM (*which will be over before monday's weigh-in).
Maybe it will help to point out what you're doing to yourself :

You pushed yourself hard for 3 weeks.
You took it easier (but still worked out) for *1* day.
Now you're labelling yourself as "a three week mess up."

'nuf said.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote