PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/289.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Default New To This!!!

Hello to all. I am new to this and just wanted some support for others out there like me. I have been dealing with PCOS since I was 20. No one else in my family or friends have PCOS so I do feel alone at times since they do not seem to understand what I have been dealing with. I am now 30 soon to be 31. I am going to once and for all lose weight and take control of my life. Any advice or support would be much appreciated.

Thank you
tignlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I definately understand. I personally do not tell anyone that I have this, I have to shave my face and have some body hair on my lower stomach and it's embarrassing. I am a nutrition major and I did my senior thesis on diet and PCOS (I was interested in it for obvious reasons). I read a study where they compared the diets of women with PCOS and "healthy" women. When they controlled for weight they found that they diets of the PCOS women were practically the same as the healthy women. Yet the PCOS women had elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance and the healthy women did not. It's frustrating that eating a normal western diet severly screws up our hormones, while it doesn't do such things to "normal" women.

The aims of treatment of PCOS are to decrease insulin levels and insulin resistance and to decrease fat mass and increase lean body mass (this also helps normalize hormone levels).

I would recommend following a low GI diet which will normalize your insulin levels. I personally follow South Beach, if I stick to mostly phase 1 foods with a few phase 2 ones thrown in I get my period like clockwork, my hormonal problems definately motivate me to stay on plan. There are other low GI diets out there as well like The insulin resistance diet, but they all pretty much preach the same thing. Also increasing physical activity will help you increase lean body mass, which helps normalize your hormonal profile. I would recommend trying to fix your PCOS symptoms with lifestyle modifications before trying pharmaceuticals (but definately talk to your doctor).
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote