Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #1  

Default Don't like some of the food...can I substitute

First, I apologize if this is a double post, but my post never showed up.

I started MF today and really can't stand the oatmeal and the chicken noodle soup. Can I substitute a bar or shake for these items?

I'm a little discouraged because I had such high hopes for this plan...maybe I just need to find out which items I like and which ones I don't
ThreeRedheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I can't stand oatmeal either (I like chicken soup)- it probably wasn't the right thing to do but I ate a small bowl of raisin bran instead of oatmeal for breakfast with some fruit like an orange or banana.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #3  

Thanks for the response! I did find a low sugar maple syrup oatmeal. I will try that. I guess it will be hit or miss, but I sure hope I enjoy the rest of the food!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #4  
Operator265

I can't stand the Cream of Concrete(aka Oatmeal). I made them into muffins. They aren't half bad.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #5  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeRedheads View Post
First, I apologize if this is a double post, but my post never showed up.

I started MF today and really can't stand the oatmeal and the chicken noodle soup. Can I substitute a bar or shake for these items?

I'm a little discouraged because I had such high hopes for this plan...maybe I just need to find out which items I like and which ones I don't
You can absolutley substitute any of the medifast meals for the oatmeal or soup. All of the meals are interchangeable. As long as you eat 5 per day it doesn't matter which meal you have. You can do the same thing for each meal if you want to.

I would NOT recommend that you buy oatmeal at the store. It is not the same. This is a very low calorie diet and it is heavily fortified to ensure that you get the nutrition that you need. The oatmeal from the store isn't.

Also...you can return any boxes of food that you don't like for a full refund as long as there is only one meal missing from the box. So just find what you like. Send the rest back and just order the things that you want next time.

Medifast works great as long as you can stick to the plan. You can drop alot of weight quickly and it really controls hunger and cravings. But if you don't get the meals in every day...you could really mess with your health.

DJ
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/245/135

The meals are interchangeable. So there is no problem if you substitute a shake for the oatmeal. You can make muffins out of the oatmeal. That is how I ate them. Most of the Medifast foods are not too tasty. I was on it for 10 months and I am now doing Optifast. Several of my friends also switched from Medifast to New Lifestyle and WOnderslim. I have tasted the products and they are much better, had I known about New Lifestyle or Wonderslim before Medifast, I would have chosen that program. Much better tasting!!! And not all that soy!!!
GETTINGTOGOALIN2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #7  
MF'er

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'2" (5'3" on a big hair day)

beerab- i would be careful with using fruit and raisin bran. You will most likely put yourself out of ketosis.
MsFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

oh haha I'm not doing medifast (or any other atkin type diet)- I have kidney problems anyways- low carb diets make me sick. I only eat the "right" carbs and in small amounts.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #9  
MF'er

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'2" (5'3" on a big hair day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
oh haha I'm not doing medifast (or any other atkin type diet)- I have kidney problems anyways- low carb diets make me sick. I only eat the "right" carbs and in small amounts.
ah ok. Then never mind me!
MsFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #10  
Soul Cyster

Sorry! Sometimes I click around then don't realize where I am! I don't know if you can eat that on medifast- but the diet I did I DID substitute this way- but for my diet I could eat fruit it was okay.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
I can't stand the Cream of Concrete(aka Oatmeal).
DITTO! - I hated the oatmeal! - I even tried several of the Capella flavor drops & STILL hated the oatmeal. I like having a shake for breakfast anyway... quick, easy, yummy....

But I DID learn to LOVE the chicken soup. I didn't like it the first time... but quickly learned that the trick is to microwave it 1.5-2 minutes, let it stand for a minute, stir... microwave for another minute, then take it out & cover it with something for about 3-5 minutes.... the steam cooks thickens it up & makes it nice. I put salt & pepper in mine & loved it.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #12  
Operator265

Since I "lunchbag" it to work, I make my soups in a thermos with hot water from the teapot. By the time I eat them, they are well reconstituted. In fact, I don't even use a microwave. On my days off I mix everything in a bowl and cover it for 5 to 15 min. depending on the solids content. I also mix the cream soups in my blender.

BTW, WS soups kick butt all over MF.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #13  

I added some chicken bouillon and garlic pepper and really let it cook. MUCH better chicken noodle soup!

I also made peanut butter oatmeal cookies out of the oatmeal and it was much better. I guess you just have to find out what works!

Thanks so much for the responses!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #14  

Height: 5'9"

I only like the oatmeal, bars & shakes! I learned that a couple years ago when I ordered the kit with everything. I also heard that after you start you should go back and try the things you didn't like b/c things change when your OP. Try it again!
Nay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #15  
Winning the losing game

Height: 5'7"

Default That made me laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
I can't stand the Cream of Concrete(aka Oatmeal). I made them into muffins. They aren't half bad.
Funny one! I was freaking out because it's so hard to clean my cup or bowl after eating the oatmeal. Made me wonder what it's made of.

I love oatmeal...this is close enough. I add a few sprays of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" a little dash of No Salt and a dash of Splenda and it's palatable.
littlebigtex is offline   Reply With Quote