Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default The mens support thread

There was discussion in another thread about a forum/thread for men. So here it is.

Calling all guys at 3fc. This your thread to post for support, advice, comments, whatever, about being a guy on a weight loss journey.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up A male here

One male checking in.

Not sure what male issues about weight loss exist that aren't shared with females.

'Cept maybe, Superbowl Sunday. But even that seems to have a zillion female posters with recipes and eating tips.

We can do a body count; I've wondered how many men there are on 3FC. Not sure that even the mods know, since I don't recall gender being asked during my admission interview.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #3  
Jeremy

S/C/G: 222/222/185

Height: 6 foooooot

This is great i wanted to go over on how other men lost weight i have lost 20 pounds but it has been so hard for me. i still need 35 pounds till i hit that 185 mark. I used to be at this weight but things happened and basically gained alot i currently use a gazzel (running maching about 20min 3-4 times a day) and me and the wife do the wii fit because its very competative and fun with also some calorie burners (20 min run in place game).
jb735u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #4  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

I guess we have quite a few male members on the board, not really sure how many regularly post. I once suggested to start a new forum for Men which would cover a lot of things where we differ from most of the chicks over here, for eg. diet, supplements, exercise schedule where we certainly need little different suggestions. I frequently visit bodybuilding.com forums but I do find 3fc to be well moderated & more useful..the mods over here do a very good work to keep 3fc free from all crap.
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Hey fellas! Yeah I would be curious to see how many men too. I asked when I first joined if men are welcome and I was told yes so I have been posting some but mostly I have been reading there is a LOT of info archived on this site. I basically learned how to calorie count from this site and use the food calorie counter every day.

I started on Dec1 on the Alli diet plan with the pills and started counting calories right after that and to date have lost just under 30 pounds and losing so I know I am going in the right direction.

Along with dieting I have been running on an elliptical machine every day for an hour and I want to get back into weight lifting but I can't seem to find time for it like I can the elliptical which I do at the YMCA first thing in the morning.

As far as men specific issues I can't think of any unless we start voting on the hottest Before/After pictures ... but ... ahem ... it's a possibility we may find ourselves UNDER the dog house!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/232/197

Height: 6'4

Cool

Another Male here checking in.. I am about 240..and want to lose weight.. I wanna get to about 190... I am 6'4.. think I am shrinking in height.. now wanna shrink around the waist..It's funny how fast it creeps up.. I was wearing a 36 pant before accident.. and just sitting around after accident, drinking beer, and filling my face.. Went to buy new pants for Christmas.. and Yike's.. the smallest I could get into was a 42.. So hoping to get it back down to 36 approx before summer.. Look forward to chatting with you guys..
Redneck Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #7  
Jeremy

Im glad to see all of you i just started here and the first question on my mind that i posted was; are there anymore men on this site and they were nice enough to make a thread for us woot. I use a gazzel and its not to bad but i also go jogging and take walks with my wife and watch what i eat but it just doesnt seem to want to come off fast enough .
Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/232/197

Height: 6'4

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb735u View Post
Im glad to see all of you i just started here and the first question on my mind that i posted was; are there anymore men on this site and they were nice enough to make a thread for us woot. I use a gazzel and its not to bad but i also go jogging and take walks with my wife and watch what i eat but it just doesnt seem to want to come off fast enough .
Well at the moment can't do alot of excercising.. But watching what I eat.. It'll come eventually if we stick with it..
Redneck Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #9  
Transforming

Good to see some more men joining in

I lost over 34 lbs since I started and then my weight loss stalled, I've been struggling to get down the mark of 194 since last 70 + days but the scales simply don't want to go down any further. I do cardio for 45 minutes 6 days a week and heavy weight training for thrice a week which covers three muscle parts once every week, my calorie intake is approx 1800-2000 per day and my body bugg shows that I burn on average 3000 - 3300 cals a day when I exercise...weight simply refuses to come down

I tried zigzagging, going up & down on calories and nearly most of the other things suggested on this board however nothing seems to work at the moment..and at this point I even doubt if my BODYBUGG is accurate ..I however have stopped worrying much about it and enjoy the new lifestyle and energy loss of 34 lbs have given to me. I fit into my old clothes and look a lot better..lot of my friends do say that I need not reduce any more weight coz I look fit now however I know I have to still lose another 30 lbs in other words I want to go down to a body fat percent of around 15 % for now from 29 % where I'm right now.

I'm addicted to 3FC, nearly every day I spend my time over here, all of the nice ladies here have contributed and helped so much that I find it to be the most resourceful community for weight loss on the web.

For most of Men here I have a question, along with my ON's WHEY I took Muscletech's NITROTECH for three weeks and I'm wondering if someone has an experience if that contributes to plateaus..although I stopped taking it for last two weeks I don't see much progress even after that. Do you guys take any other Supplements other than WHEY ?

Thanks for reading & sharing.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku View Post
Good to see some more men joining in

I lost over 34 lbs since I started ...weight simply refuses to come down

For most of Men here I have a question, along with my ON's WHEY I took Muscletech's NITROTECH for three weeks and I'm wondering if someone has an experience if that contributes to plateaus..although I stopped taking it for last two weeks I don't see much progress even after that. Do you guys take any other Supplements other than WHEY ?
Thanks for reading & sharing.

Rinku I don't see how taking whey protein would stop you from losing weight but they mix a lot of other stuff in there so who knows. I think if you stop taking it, everything would be out of your system in week for sure.

More than likely you are just on what everyone says almost everyone will hit sooner or later a plateau in your weight loss.

From everything I have read about everyone just says to keep working out and dieting and sooner or later you'll come out on the other side. How long it will last is anyones guess.

I have read that plateau happens when our body has acclimated itself to your workout and diet. But also if you are restricting you calories like you said maybe your body has gone into starvation mode even though you are not starving at your calorie intake.

My brother-in-law who was a champion body builder for many years used to tell me that you have to shake up your body and surprise it every once in a while when it gets used to your work outs maybe it is the same with dieting? I am no nutritionalist so I don't know.

But one thing is for sure Rinku you have made a LOT of progress and you definitely deserve congrats for that.

I just started my diet and so the weight is coming off pretty easy so far, 8 pounds in one week once! But I am expecting my plateau but I hope it is a long time in coming!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #11  
Transforming

Hello Flatiron,

Thanks for your encouraging words ! 8 pounds a week is a wonderful loss & I do hope that you never see a plateau Though when I analyze I sometimes think plateaus are really good thing..now let me express it how, I started my weightloss journey exactly on June 24, 2008 and that was the same time I joined 3FC. Before joining 3FC I was completely a novice when it comes to bodybuilding & fitness. Reading helped me to learn a lot I realized that crash dieting is bad, eating small meals multiple times is good, I knew the difference between good and bad food, I realized morning breakfast is good, I understood the concept of calorie countring and above all I learnt that a failure is not a failure untill you stop trying.

During my last 6 months Journey I have changed my eating habits drastically and now I'm so much accustomed & comfortable to my new eating habits that it looks like a normal routine to me. I eat healthy stuff..do not crave for junk and when I saw long plateaus initially I'd been very frustrated later I realized I'm going through a testing phase and this phase will help me become better. Today when I look back I know these plateaus have somehow helped me in reconditioning myself to think & live healthy. When you choose healthy food over bad food for more than 6 months you really develop a habit to eat sensibly & healthy..no longer the craving for junk happens, ofcourse I do binge at times but next morning I'm back on the track. If I would have lost my desired weight in say 3 or 4 months I would have probably become too comfortable with myself and may be I'd have got back to my old habits..but now it doesn't happens. For the first time in my life I love going to Gym, I love running, I love bycycling & I love all activities that involves physical actions. When the journey becomes long..it becomes easier too..you somehow become used to all kind of challenges and as the age old saying goes, Tough times (Read Plateaus) not last but Tough People do..so I believe with these plateaus Nature does tests and recondition you into living healthy & longer
Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #12  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

Hey guys (and gals).

I've lurked here different times but have been afraid to post in what I assumed to be a women's domain. Loved reading stuff and gathering more aresenal in my attack on fat, though.

Now that there's a testosterone thread - count me in!

40 yrs old, married to a wonderful woman, 2 great kids, living in Ontario, Canada.

Started last week at 343 lbs, 6'1, football player frame. Used to be almost studly in University (okay, fit maybe, but a stud - no), but am a fill-in for the Pillsbury mascot the past 20 years with this excess weight.

Doing a Body For Life type program - 5-6 small meals daily, equal protein/carbs, lower healthy fats. Doing cardio 3 or 4 times a week, and will start lifting some weights this week.

Lost 10 lbs last week in the starting week - hoping to lose 3-4/wk until I get well under 300, and then a couple lbs weekly (give-or-take) until I hit 225.

Cheers!
Kootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #13  
Jeremy

Well since we are on the "mans thread" lets get some good ideas on what to eat and motivation to keep it off . I hope i can reach my goal of 34 pounds in about 3 months im trying to stay on a 1500 calories honestly i eat small meals but the biggest change is my routine my wife is very supportive. I do cardio about 3-4 times a week and wii fit almost daily (its so fun because its motivating to get ur little avatar into shape) very competative honestly with out that i would only be stuck doing cardio 3-4 times a week. Three small meals is great but im getting tired of my usual lets spice it up a little bit anyone got any ideas. (i dont want this thread to die so keep it coming)
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up 3 meals and 3 snacks per day

Jeremy - Do you do three snacks between your three meals each day? What are your snacks?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/188/165

Height: 5'4"

Rinku - Try interval training to break through the plateau. I've been on one for the last 4 months and I've tried everything too, up/down calories or activity. But now I am running and doing the intervals. So far, it's working...good luck!
lovelandtx is offline   Reply With Quote