Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Low Carbin it?

I was just wondering how many of you stick to a low carb calorie counting menu? I did Atkins a while back and maintained a 40 pound weight loss for a long time (I didn't re-gain until children, God bless the baby weight!). Anyways, the thought of Atkins makes me physically ill, but do many of you try and stay down on the carbs and if you do what is a sampl menu like? I'm thinking of jut staying away from processed stuff (sweets are my weakness) and keeping fruits, veggies and meats (athough I have a REALLY hard time eating meat). Let me know how you all do it! Thanks to whoever reply's. Sarah
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #2  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Yes, I dont do an atkins style low carb, but I find that when I keep my carbs under 20% for the day, and spend them on whole grains instead, I feel a lot more satisified. Hope this helps
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I eat a lot of carbs. Most of them are good carbs, but my daily intake usually averages at about 40-50%.

I don't think that I ever properly tried atkins, but I think I love carbs too much for it!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I calorie count with a reduced-carb exchange plan (1600 - 2000 calories, aiming for an average of 1800). - 2 fruit, 2 starch, 4 to 8 nonstarchy veggies, 2 dairy, 6 fat (2 of which I usually use for about half an ounce of nuts daily), and up to 10 protein.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #5  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I do low glycemic index carbs (whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc) because I have high sugar. Not diabetes YET, here's to hoping!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #6  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I don't do atkins persay - however I try and watch my carbs as much as possible- I dont loose sleep if I have too many but if their is healthier choice as far as carbs I take it instead -example I get low carb tortillas, low carb bread- naturally low carb things are typically low calorie as well.. I also eat a lot of south beach items their cottage cheese cups, some of their bars, even some of their Tv dinner.. they are not only lower carb but lower calorie! I also stay away from potatoes and corn as much as possible.. every now and then I'll have 2-3 little baby red potatoes, or a corn tortilla, but that's the extent and that's maybe once a month... Instead I'll try to have sweet potatoes, and whole grain brown rice, whole grain pasta noodles which are lower in carbs then the white versions....I try to stay focused on my cals If I get to involved with watching sodium and carbs and fat grams I get anxiety like it's just to hard for me to juggle all of the above so I mainly focus on the cals.. if I can pick a healthier option as far as low sodium or low carb, low fat I take it too! when picking out products of at the stores I look at each brand read all the labels and pick out which has the lesser of all of them.. the healthiest version.. Just my two cents!

Last edited by mariamherrera; 01-18-2009 at 04:07 AM.
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #7  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Can't do it

I've tried Atkins, South Beach and Protein Power and lasted at the most 3-4 days on each one before the crazed carb binges set in. Everyone is different of course, but I personally can't deal with this low-carb business. I succeed much better on a higher carb, lower fat, moderate protein whole foods vegetarian diet and pretty much so have few to no cravings most days. Because I'm pretty active I need carbohydrates to fuel my activity, and when I don't get enough carbs, watch out! Here's a sample of a days menu:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal
Banana
Orange

Snack:
Apple

Lunch:
Huge Salad
1/2 can low-sodium beans
2-3 oz. brown rice

Snack:
1/2 can refried beans mixed with a little salsa (used as a dip for carrots)
3 oz. baby carrots
Apple

Dinner:
Vegetable/Tofu stir fry
1/2 oz. nuts
2 oz. brown rice

Treat:
Dark Chocolate (about 1/3 oz.)

All-in-all, this is similar to an Eat to Live diet.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

First, I watch my calorie count. Then, I try to keep to the Zone percentages for nutrients, which is 30% protein/40% carbs/30% fats. That's percentage of calories. FitDay helps me track these numbers.

I've seen a lot of folks who undereat protein and overeat carbs. My own weakness is fats--I struggle to keep fat % at or under 30%.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote