South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/206/125

Default Question about alcohol

Me and my husband like to go out to dinner and have a couple cocktails on the weekends. I was wondering if any of you have a few drinks during the week and if it has an effect on your weight loss. Thank you in advance for any help. I suppose beer is out.
JennyK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Alcohol is full of empty calories and can really stall your weightloss and even cause a gain. You may enjoy a glass or two of wine on Phase 2, though.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

slightly off topic, but not really I suppose... my last night of phase 1 coincided with my BF's birthday celebration, so i had a few cocktails last night. The good news is I stuck to vodka and seltzer, and did not seem to have any post-drinking cravings or munchies or anything .

The rough part is that I got SO SICK from the relatively small amount of booze (three drinks over the course of 4+ hours). I was over the toilet all night! I'm wondering if not having any carbs in my system to absorb the liquor could be a culprit, or perhaps not drinking for two weeks prior (which doesn't make much sense, since I'm not a big drinker to begin with)...
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #4  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Alcohol, in any form definitely stalls my loss... I had changed my habits to be only for special occasions... and that should not be nightly! Or a glass or two of wine on the weekends but thats it. I definitely feel better too...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Yes, most alcohol converts to sugar so...

Anyway, I had a few BEERS last night and I've not had any cravings but did drink up my water all day today, leave my sodium down, eat Ph1 and am just going to be alcohol free for a while.

We all pick and choose our battles. My DW doesn't drink, there were only wine cooler type things and beer out last night, we rarely go out so a few beers I had. For me it's about lifestyle changes. I planned to be going out, ate accordingly and will do so after. I can't say I am never going to have a beer again being on Ph 2 or Ph 3. But, I won't have as many and I know how to handle it now for the days after.

But this is just me speaking for me. Alcohol does have empty calories.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #6  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Alcohol causes my weight loss to stall. If I just HAVE to have a drink, I usually do a vodka and diet coke. Lately all I've been drinking is wine because I know what alcohol does to my weight loss.

Also, most alcoholic beverages are made with sugary chasers, which are counterproductive to the diet. Lastly, if I drink too much, that usually makes me more apt to make poor food choices.

Just my two cents...
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Like most others have noted, Alcohol stalls my weight loss and the munchies afterward have been known to cause a gain.

DH and I do go out to dinner by ourselves on occasion and once in awhile we'll go to a bar to have "adult time". I drink red wine if we go out and will always stop myself after two glasses. Red wine has fewer calories and DH loves the mood it puts me in - he calls it naked juice.

If wine is totally out of the question stick to a lower calorie liquor (vodka has the least, I think) and if you need a mixer, choose seltzer or a diet soda. Fruit juices and regular sodas add tons of calories!

Lite beers are allowed in moderation on Phase 2 as well. I'm a real sucker for beers, and the ones that I like are definitely not lite -- but every once in awhile, we'll have a Michelob Ultra on the golf course.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote