Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #1  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

Default The Sodium Monster!

Since I have been keeping track of my sodium I have noticed a significant difference between how I feel in the morning and how much sodium I had the day before. I have been trying to keep my sodium intake around 2000 mg, and when I do I feel pretty good. I've even finally cut out the Diet Coke and am now three days free of it. It seems like one day a week, however, I just blow it.

Today was this week's blow the sodium day. We had hot dogs, they weren't even good. I ended up finishing the day with 4000+ mg of sodium. Yikes! I'm going to feel awful tomorrow. The crazy thing is, I didn't eat nearly as much as I would have before. I can only imagine how much sodium I was taking in before.

I've never considered myself someone who needed to worry about sodium. I don't have high BP (I have very low BP actually) and I don't tend to crave salt. I know people who salt everything and I almost never add salt to anything. I guess because I wasn't adding salt to things I figured sodium wasn't a problem. I just never noticed how much sodium is in things.
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #2  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I totally understand ever since I've been counting calories I've also took into consideration my sodium intake.. and whiel it is important i find it more mentally stressful to dwell not only on calories but on sodium or carbs or fat grams... I tihnk it's best to focus on one thing liek calories and try to minimize and choose the healthier versions when it comes to sodium example I started getting low sodium ketchup and soy sauce - I rarely drink soda when I do It's only one a day and I make my self drink a glass of water right before and right afterward.. and I only get diet caffeine free pepsi because the sodium is only 25 grams before I'd drink like 5-6 cans of dr pepper a day! it was insane! but I guess my point is don't beat your self up if you have a higher sodium day- the important thing is to stay with in your calorie range and to make healthy choices with in that range- if you do so your Sodium intake should kinda fall into place anyways- if it's a little higher one day over the other drink some extra water!

Salt doesn't make you gain "fat" weight- it makes you bloat and gives you water weight- which is easily lost by drinking in some extra water!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

I was just thinking about this. I count calories and it seems anything that is low in fat and calories and high in protein is just so high in sodium. Since I've started keeping track of my sodium intake and keeping it lower, I find some foods that I used to eat more, way too salty now.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #4  

mariam, I'm mostly a calorie only girl myself. I only started watching sodium recently because I was retaining so much water and it was screwing up my weigh ins. I don't necessary stress out about it, but today was just such a huge sodium day that it gave me pause. If I look at a package and see a lot of sodium I usually don't eat it. Drinking more water hasn't been helping me with sodium-related water retention, either. I've been drinking tons of water and still waking up bloated, dry mouth, and a little dizzy.

ohmanda, you just hit on one of the reasons I don't eat any low-fat/low-cal things. They have so many additives that I feel like they are worse than the real thing, and still not as satisfying. I sometimes find lower calorie alternatives, for instance I now use soft cheese like soft goat cheese or laughing cow spreadable cheese instead of mayonaise. I actually prefer the taste and it is less calories and fat (and likely less sodium).
Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

This is why I love fruit . . . little to none in sodium.

I have the same problem. I can rarely keep my daily sodium level below 2200mg. I read online that the average person consumes about 5000mg of sodium a DAY, whilst the 'recommended' amount is under 3000mg. I find myself obsessing over sodium sometimes, but it helps me make smarter choices when it comes to food. I get low sodium bacon now and am just more aware of it now because I don't want to become bloated or feel like I have to drink tons and tons of water (which doesn't always help anyway). My biggest sodium demon is tony's on my chicken . . . I really haven't made much of an effort to find a substitute for my seasoning yet I buy non-salt pretzels! You already make good choices and its good to be aware, but remember it doesn't have to be perfect all the time!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 AM   #6  

Hey heather, it's nice to see another tall girl! What is tony's?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. It is basically an all in one seasoning, also a cajun thing Lol. It has almost 1000mg in one tsp I really need to stop using it on my baked chicken Lol. I just found this site for some salt-free seasonings here: http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/sfblends.html , I shouldn't forget that there is also Ms. Dash!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #8  
=D

Sodium intake also kinda depends on the person- how physically active you are, predisposition to high BP etc... Some days when I cycle, I sweat and sweat and drink 5-7 litres of water and also consume a larger amount of sodium than is recommended (2000mg being the normal amount usually).

I don't know what my point is here!!
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #9  

Ah, okay. I've never had it.

I think sea salt has less sodium than table salt. I don't really know the details, though.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #10  
FB

Sodium + me = true love.

I was just talking about this in another thread. I eat a ton, ton of sodium. Mostly due to my love of Asian seasonings. I also eat cottage cheese and jerky regularly. It's a rare day that my intake is below 3500-4000.

My blood pressure is just fine, I exercise very regularly and hard. The only time I see horrid side effects of water weight gain is during certain times of the month and if I'm snacking on something terribly awfully salty - like dried seaweed. This week for instance, was that special time of month and a bout of seaweed snacking, which meant a five pound water weight gain. It's coming off now, thank goodness.

In asking my doctor about my salty love - she said it's fine with the amount of activity I do. Shew! I can deal with cutting out sugar - but seaweed or miso? No freaking way!

I don't think I have a point either!

It's good to be aware of. High sodium intake would sometimes mean that your diet needs looking at - an overabundance of processed food. Good to be aware of for blood pressure problems. Although if you have low blood pressure you might consider not keeping such a tight rein on it. Check with your doctor.

When I was talking of my sodium love on a another thread someone mentioned that it was recommended for them to eat saltier because of their low BP.

Last edited by FB; 01-17-2009 at 11:28 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedImzadi View Post
Ah, okay. I've never had it.

I think sea salt has less sodium than table salt. I don't really know the details, though.
Kosher and Sea Salt have less sodium per volume because the crystals are larger. The have the same amount of sodium per weight. Sea Salt does have other minerals that are good for you in it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #12  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

I have a sodium addiction.

I should really start paying attention to the sodium I eat.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/160

i feel it the next day if i had too much sodium. So i dont weigh for a few days cause i know it might go up 1 or 2 for water retention, it will pass, but i need to watch my intake more too!
waiting2exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #14  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I live in Asia. My sodium levels are astronomical!

Actually, I'm sure they were high before I moved here as I tended to buy a lot of Lean Cuisine type foods, food that were made from a box, etc.

But some days I see I can eat 400% of the RDA of sodium. It's difficult, there isn't a whole lot of foods I like to eat here so I'm just trying to limit the culprits. I got my bf to start noticing sodium levels too and he's like "Well, we're not eating this this this or that anymore!" Uh... there's not much left!
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #15  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I eat a ton of sodium too, and my doctor said I actually have low blood pressure. Of course, I exercise hard and almost daily, and I drink at least a dozen cups of water - I don't know if I crave water because of the salt, or crave salt because of the water!
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote