Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default flagging motivation or exercise flop on TOM?

Hi ~

*This post is mainly for female chickies unless men consider PMS as "punish my spouse" JK!!!*

My TOM tends to go a few days longer than the average cycle & are usually pretty heavy for the most part.

I'm curious. Some days I don't feel at my fighting best, even when I force myself to work out on the treadmill or do pilates/dumbbells (or during the process of exercising with weights/pilates/treadmill).

I go slower on those days and feel so guilty afterwards for not doing my utmost best to sweat it out to try to drop a pound or 2 by the following week's weigh-in.

I also know that if I don't do a somewhat slower or modified version of my workout then I'll be very tempted to blow off the whole exercise session for the day (which would also make me feel guilty as well ).

What do other female chickies do/tell themselves/motivate/encourage themselves to keep pushing forward with their exercise routine on days when they don't feel 100% up to it... before or DURING their exercise routine?

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 01-14-2009 at 11:00 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #2  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I'm extremely tired during TOM. I used to faint b.c of all the blood loss and my blood pressure is ultra low anyway.

I basically eat what I want and do nothing b/c I'm in so much pain that I don't care at that point what I stuff in my face.

I hope that as I get more in shape my body will be nicer during TOM.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I am the exact same way during TOM. Super tired, unmotivated and generally just lazy. To top that off I always want to eat the worst fat and carb filled foods. The only way I can deal with it is to give myself a day or two or just give myself that one bad meal. Especially with the working out, I mean like you said you end up doing a lazy version of your regular workout so why not just take one day to be nice to yourself and have a bath.

I guess since I anticipate it now, I know what to expect so I just accept that for a day or two, I'm not going to be feeling up to working out, I'm going to be a bit more hungry so just let it go. As long as you committ yourself to work out the next day or the day after and make sure you don't spiral out of control then I don't think there is much harm in that.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

the biggest problem i have with TOM is the water retention. i seriously gain between 2 and 5 pounds of water weight before and during my period. that gross feeling when i've been working so hard really discourages me. on days where i'm in pain, i'll only do a light walk. and i usually tend to eat what i crave, though i'm trying to cut that out this time around. i also heard somewhere, though i'm not sure it's true, that women burn more calories during their periods. i think it was like 150 extra a day. though i can't remember where i heard that, so it might be possible i'm making it up to make myself feel better.
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I'd definitely believe that we burn more calories during TOM! I also like to think all that cramping is secretly building great abs to be revealed one day lol. Today was the first time in like a YEAR were the first day of my period didn't leave me in bed all day! I think it has something to do with having started running lately. Although the moodiness and food cravings are still here in full force (poor bf lol).
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote