Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #1  

Default Help! - How do I make fish??

I don't eat fish because I really don't like it much, but I know its healthy for you, so I bought some Hoki at wal-mart the other night (it was on sale).
Its only 100 calories & 2.5 grams of fat for a 4oz fillet... I decided to make a couple of them tonight but I got them out a realized I don't know how to make fish!

What I did for now was put a little oil in the bottom of my baking dish & put 2 fillets there, seasoned with a bit of pepper & put them in the oven... I'm not sure how well they will turn out.. I know I'm supposed to cook them until they are flakey.. I put tin foil over them, I'm not sure if I was supposed to...

My real question here I guess is how do I season fish? And is there any better way to make it?
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I like fish with lemon juice and pepper--it tastes fresh. Another option is a little white wine and rosemary.

Also if you don't like the fishy taste, you can soak the fish in milk for a few minutes and then rinse it before you cook it. It mellows it out a little.

Last edited by sprklemajik; 01-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #3  

Ohhh! Thanks so much!

Anyone else have any fish recipes, send 'em my way!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I usually grill fish. I actually had a salmon fillet covered with "bush spices" last night for dinner (which is a just a spice blend from the supermarket) but I also like using cajun, or salt & pepper etc. Sweet chilli is also good as is kecap manis (indonesian sweet soy).

Anyway, I grill fish until its opaque and flaky with a little bit of crisp on the top. I serve with a different things all the time. Last night it was with rataloullie because I had ten tonne of capsicum and zuchini in the fridge! But sometimes steamed sweet potato or steamed mixed veggies or a veggie stir-fry mix. Fish is also good with polenta or even brown rice.

When I am feeling particularly decedant I have grilled salmon fillet with roast pumpkin & baby spinach risotto. Mmmm...

Last edited by Lyria; 01-13-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I grill it, either on the gas grill or my Cuisinart Griddler (a George Foreman grill would work fine too). Dredge it in a little egg substitute, then some bread crumbs mixed with a little parmesan, and it is quite delicious for very few calories. I love fish with just pepper and lemon juice too, though.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #6  
[url=http://www.TickerFac

S/C/G: 210/210/145

Height: 5ft. 2in.

I season with lemon pepper seasoning or creole seasoning and use pam in a baking dish and put the fish in the oven until it is flaky. I like Tilapia I son't like the fish taste so Tilapia doesn't so much have that for me. Good luck!!!
thickchicknomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

If you get some parchement paper, you can make a packet for the fish (put fish in the middle of the parchment, pull up the side, roll down tightly, then roll in both sides tightly, place on a cookie sheet), then bake for 10-15 minutes. It steams the fish. The benefit of the packets is you can put other veggies, seasonings, etc. in the packet also. Cook everything together, the flavors mix together. You can actually do a Google search on fish packet recipes and it will give you some different combos. I really like lemon pepper on my fish with summer squash.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #8  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
If you get some parchment paper, you can make a packet for the fish (put fish in the middle of the parchment, pull up the side, roll down tightly, then roll in both sides tightly, place on a cookie sheet), then bake for 10-15 minutes. It steams the fish. The benefit of the packets is you can put other veggies, seasonings, etc. in the packet also. Cook everything together, the flavors mix together. You can actually do a Google search on fish packet recipes and it will give you some different combos. I really like lemon pepper on my fish with summer squash.
Ooh, I have been meaning to try this technique. Thanks for the reminder!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #9  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
If you get some parchement paper, you can make a packet for the fish (put fish in the middle of the parchment, pull up the side, roll down tightly, then roll in both sides tightly, place on a cookie sheet), then bake for 10-15 minutes. It steams the fish. The benefit of the packets is you can put other veggies, seasonings, etc. in the packet also.

will it work with foil also?
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

i was the cook in a fish and chip shop for about 4 years and one thing we used to do was make garlic butter which made it amazing. i know butter is fattening but you can find some lower calorie versions

you just mix together in butter, garlic and parsely and fry in a fry pan with a tiny amount of oil for about 10 minutes, and add the butter just at the end! simple and tastes amazing!

even just fresh garlic is good too!
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #11  

Thanks everyone for all your tips on cooking fish!
I can't wait to try everyone's ideas!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Foil works just fine as a packet, just dont store it like that raw in the fridge (or any meat).

I broil mine. Works with every kind. Set the oven to broil, take a rack sprayed w/ nonstick and place in a baking dish. I season w/ lemon pepper or whatever seems to smell good at the time out of the cabinet

Place fish on grill rack - broil about 4-5 mins, then turn - do same. SHould be slightly opaque, flake and I like mine a lil crispy on top and around the edges.

Also, the broiler is your ovens hottest setting, it sears the outside of the fish, which helps keep it moist as long as you dont over cook it. It only takes 8 - 10 mins, sometimess less in a broiler. I LOVE salmon this way.

BTW, if you don't like a fishy taste, try tilapia, orange roughey or whiting fillets.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #13  
FB

Do you like spicy stuff? I douse mine in blackening seasoning, heat a cast iron skillet white hot and it cooks quickly, yummy and without oils.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I cover the fish top, bottom and sides with honey mustard (I get salmon,talapia, trout or catfish). I then broil the fish in the oven. Also I like salmon with lemon peper and drizal with olive oil and brioled. I love fresh fish that I buy from the farmers market. I prefer it fresh never frozen and I eat it with in 48 hours of buying it, keeping it on ice in the fridge. Some "fresh" fish has been frozen so if you are trying to get fresh fresh make sure to check.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I poach salmon filets in water (completely covered) which I put in the microwave for about 20 minutes. Then I leave it in, covered for another ten. I buy dill sauce but you can use lemon or make a low cal sauce.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote