Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/188.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Another birth control question...

Do any of you have a problem with weight loss, or gaining when on BC? I've heard that it's a side effect but I wasn't sure if it was true or a myth. I'm considering going on it (the pill), but I'd so much rather lose a good 50lbs or so first if it's going to affect my weight loss goals.

Thanks for any info!
erynn1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

I had a really bad time with weight gain and especially losing weight while on the pill. The gain I attribute to the fact that my appetite was ravenous while I took the hormones, but they also made it extremely hard to lose weight. I could eat nothing but a piece of fruit every day and STILL gain weight on the pill or nuvaring. I also had a lot of other severe emotional problems, acne like a 16 year old, alopecia, complete lack of sex drive, the beginning stages of osteoperosis and not being able to absorb nutrients, etc while on them.

Some people are really sensitive to hormones, like me, and even the tiniest amounts mess them up pretty badly. Hence why I have a Paragard, which is the copper hormone-free IUD. I've had it since October and I love it.

A lot of other women have no issues with hormonal birth control at all, except controlling their eating while on it. However, don't take the BS excuse that, "it's not the birth control." All of my issues -- even ones I hadn't attributed to B.C. -- went away in the months after I stopped using hormones.

Listen to your body before you listen to what someone tells you, and note that it sometimes takes years to notice side effects and changes. Good luck whatever you decide, though.

Last edited by NishKitten; 01-12-2009 at 09:47 AM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #3  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

Everyone reacts differently to all different types of BC even different brands of pills. I myself cannot take ANYTHING with hormones in it because it makes me literally crazy. So I have the copper IUD. I dont think that it will make you gain weight but it can change your moods which in turn could cause weight gain from habits. Anyways if you are concerned I would go over all of your options and talk to your OB-GYN.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i had problems with hormonal birth control and also usea copper IUD and i've finally started to lose weight. you won't know how you react until you try it though
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #5  
Losing it and loving it!!

S/C/G: 181/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I've never had a problem with weight gain on the pill... but I have heard horror stories from others....
bee optimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blcarter84 View Post
Everyone reacts differently to all different types of BC even different brands of pills. I myself cannot take ANYTHING with hormones in it because it makes me literally crazy. So I have the copper IUD. I dont think that it will make you gain weight but it can change your moods which in turn could cause weight gain from habits. Anyways if you are concerned I would go over all of your options and talk to your OB-GYN.
So true.

I don't think I could have lost weight without the Pill, or at the very least it didn't hinder me at all. I started taking the pill about one month before I started losing weight, but it was used to treat symptoms related to PCOS. I've been on it since then and I don't think it's had any effect on my weight.

I'll tell you what though, when I wasn't on the pill having pms and all the cravings that go with it for over 2 weeks before I would start certainly did have an effect on my weight!

BUt yeah, from one person to the next you can never tell what the pill is going to do.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

It's been said, but it really differs from person to person, and for that person, from pill to pill.
I was originally put on birth control to clear up my acne and help with cramps when I was 16. I'm 22 now, and it's been working great for me all these years. The first month was a little rough, the extra hormones made me a little nauseaus. After that, no real problems. My boobs got a little bigger, but my mom wears a 42H, so that could have been genetic. If i'm stressed out, i'll spot in the middle of a cycle, and i go a little crazy when i stop taking them.
if you really want to go on the pill, don't be afraid to try a couple of different types before you find the right one for you. I'm on the genaric version of estrostep, and it works great for me.
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #8  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

I've been on hormonal BC for about 6 years at this point, and even though my weight has fluctuated in that time, I doubt the hormones are responsible (my weight had fluctuated prior to being on BC, as well). I started with OrthoEvra (the patch) and then switched to NuvaRing. Just 2 months ago, I switched to Alesse. I am monitored every three months by my PCP for high blood pressure, and I've been ok'd to be on the hormones.

As someone else said, I was put on BC mostly to help control PCOS symptoms (however, the PCOS has never been officially diagnosed). Since I've been actively tryuing to lose weight, I have not run into any obstacles with the BC - I don't even gain extra around TOM. I do still get chocolate cravings, though!

Best of luck with your BC search, and remember to keep an open mind. What's best for one person may not be the best for another.
staja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I was never affected by the pill until I started Seasonale (the period 4 X's a yr pill). I had constant migraines, no sex drive, a CRAZY appetite and so on. So now I am getting IUD called Mirena. It lasts for five years. I am so excited to get it.....next month actually.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #10  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Again, with every person BC reacts differently.

I was on Depo when I was 18. THAT made me crazy, but I didn't really gain any weight.

I stopped taking BC for a while, started Loestrin 24FE and LOVED it. Stopped again and now I'm on Junel 24 which is the generic version of Loestrin.

I was a LITTLE moody at first, but settled into it quite nicely. I haven't noticed an increase in appetite (actually, I think it's curbed my pre-TOM cravings) or weight gain.

Find a good OBGYN and discuss your different options. You may have to try a few out in order to find what works best for you.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

When I wasn't on the pill I lost weight easily. Since I went on the pill I gained about 15 pounds, but I don't know if that was all because of the pills. I think I just got lazy and started eating lots of junk food.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #12  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

definitely differs from person to person. being on bc makes it easier for me to lose and/or maintain my weight. i love it!
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've heard that it's not unusual to gain some weight when you first start taking them -- like 5lbs in the first month, or something like that. So it might be something to keep in mind (and not freak out if you gain or don't lose at first!).

I had some problems on BC pills and lots of problems on the Depo-provera shot, but neither ever made me gain weight or seemed to hinder weight loss. I'm losing weight just as easily now (or should I say, just as difficultly!) that I've got the non-hormonal IUD.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

For most people I've talked to, the Pill doesn't caouse you to gain weight specifically, but it can significantly increase your appetite (and weight tends to follow that!)

I've been on NuvaRing for 3 years and I love it. The first 2 or 3 days I was uncontrollably hungry, but I just didn't give in and it passed. I've gained a significant amoutn of weight since then- but that's what happens when you get married, start eating like your husband, and swear off the gym. (I've also been successful in losing weight while on Nuvaring, about 40 pounds before the wedding)
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #15  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

im on nuvaring too, btw
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote