Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default How long until this goes away?

As some of you probably remember, I had a really hard month in December. I lost 5 pounds in the first couple of days of the month, then it looked like I wasn't going to lose anything more, until my body squeaked by and dropped about 5 pounds in the last few days.

I'm having a similar problem this month- my body holding water for two weeks surrounding my TOM, and hopefully some of the weight will come off after wards.

*edit*- I haven't lost any weight since December, and those 10 pounds that come off in December is a normal number for me. *edit*

Needless to say, this is really frustrating. I know all women have trouble with water retention and TOM, but this is far from what my body normally does. It's a real pain.

When this happened last month, I took the advice of a lot of you ladies here. One of the pieces of advice was to start exercising.

I know your body holds water when you exercise, but for how long?
I went to the gym last month, but stopped when it turned out to be a frustrating experience. Now, this month, I've started walking to class, which is adding up to about an hour of walking a day. Since the first day, I gained a pound and a half, and I'm wondering when it will go away.

Any thoughts? Sorry if it's a bit long.

Last edited by kelly315; 01-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

I'm sorry to hear this, i know how frustrating it can be to feel like your working hard and seeing no results. How is your diet? Maybe you need to change it up a bit. When I was losing weight I would have weeks where it flew off, and then weeks where it felt like nothing was happening, but trust me as long as you keep it up it WILL start to come off again. Sometimes your body just needs to "adjust" to the weight loss before it can continue. And keep going with the exercise! It will all be worth it in the end. Just try to be proud of your 60 pound loss, your more than halfway there!
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

My diet's been fine. I'm eating around 1500 calories, shifting every day around 1400-1600. Nothings really changed in that regard. In december, I got some advice to eat 2,000 for a while, so I did, for a little less than a week. It seemed to boost my metabolism a bit, at least it correlated with the weight loss (I don't think it was really the cause of it, because it also correlated with TOM ending).

So my metabolism shouldn't need another kick start so soon again, right?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/160/155

Height: 5'8"

Bleh. This is what I am dealing with this week too. I've been stuck at the SAME 181-183 for weeks. Last week I decided maybe it is time to start exercising again. I began to go on my elliptical for awhile each day then spending most of the rest of my day on the Wii Fit. I dropped nothing. I noticed my muscles were mildly sore maybe due to my body readjusting. I got so fed up that Wednesday I said "screw it, I am not exercising today" (it was a self pity day really). What do you know, I dropped 1.2 lbs the next morning. Didn't exercise again yesterday, down another .8 today putting my in the 170's FINALLY.

Our bodies are so annoying. Keep up updated, your body has to adjust to the exercise sometime. Keep with it! It is better for your overall health anyway. Now I just need to convince myself of the same thing...
blanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

When you're doing everything right, and you're not going over calories and you're getting exercise in, it's frustrating to not see results.

But I've hade my fair share of disappointing weigh ins and you always just have to remind yourself that "My body follows the laws of physics". I used to think there was something wrong with my body that made me somehow different from other people, and that I had a harder time losing weight than others. Than I realized that A) I was VERY impatient, B) if you do the work, in time, you will get the results. I mean you have to live this way the rest of your life anyway right? You might as well enjoy the journey and let the pounds fall off as they may. As long as you know you're eating healthier and getting some kind of exercise you've done a really good job this month.

And if my math is correct you lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks. That doesn't sound too bad to me! Even if you did have a stall between the numbers.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

try maybe upping your cals by a hundred or two. You might just need a bit more. What are your macros like and what kinds of food are you eating?
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #7  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I was experiencing this as well. I lost the first week but it seems the weight is coming off slowly. I usually eat 1800 or 2000 calories but I have been taking it down lately to about 1200 or so and I am stalled! You would think that the less calories would work. I did lose a little but I am back to the 1800 minimum. When I did this last time I was losing 3 or 4 pounds a week! I know it is frustrating but I agree with others about upping the calories maybe?
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #8  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Hmmm... how is your sodium intake? And, how much water do you drink a day? Yes, the TOM can make things more complicated, but if you are drinking a lot of water it should even out the next week (of course, keeping everything else up )
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote