Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #1  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Default calories in marinades

Here's a random question for you brilliant ladies: How do you count calories in marinades? If I leave a chicken breast to marinade in 1/2 a cup of dressing all day, then pull it out of the bag and bake it, how do I calculate the calories? There's almost always a good amount of it left in the bottom of the bag... Thanks! (Tonight I'm making fajitas with steak marinated in beer, but I don't want to count the whole beer...)
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #2  
Workin' It

Good question... I always count the entire serving of marinade, whether it all soaks up or not. Mainly because I don't know what part of the marinade actually soaked in - what was left in the bag could have be mostly colored water...

I have seen people who measure what is left of the marinade and then subtract that amount from the total. Honestly, I don't know which way is right.

ETA: beer-marinated steak fajitas sound yummy...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 01-09-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Technically, both ways would be somewhat inaccurate, because in marinating, not only do molecules of the marinade enter the meat, molecules from the meat, enter the marinade. I think it's usually water coming out of the meat, but how much of the higher calorie marinades are entering or clinging to the meat would be hard (at least for the home cook, I would think) to estimate.

I tend to use low calorie marinades, or smaller amounts of marinade, so I don't have to worry too much about it. I have found that barely coating the food being marinated works as well as soaking the food in large quantities of marinade, so I use just enough to liberally coat the food, and marinate it a little longer, with the goal of leaving no more than a couple tablespoons of marinade behind in the marinating bowl or bag. Of course this way, I count all of the calories.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-09-2009 at 01:13 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #4  
FB

I too use a very small amount of marinades and count them only because of the sodium factor (which is typically very high). I eat waywaywayway too much sodium and am trying to monitor it. Yeah, I would count it if it's a high calorie marinade.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I would estimate and move on.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #6  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

I would do Shannon's second suggestion. Measure what I start with and what I end with and subtract. I think it is okay for it to not be exact.
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote