Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default I need to stop reading....

I got a trial Prevention magazine in the mail the other day. I just sat down and went through it last night and read something that has me really confused. It say something about (I don't have the exact words infront of me) balancing your calories in and your calories out so they are only 300-500 calories different and that will help you lose weight fastest.

It said it doesn't matter if you eat 300-500 more or burn 300-500 more but if you are balanced that is all that matters.

It was something about feast or famine and how if you burn too much your body goes into famine mode and stores fat.

So, anybody know anything about this? Anyone tried it?

I didn't get the full article beings it was a trial. I have to send something off to get the full article and I will if there is something to it.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: oh **** no!/on my way/157

Height: 5'9"

Lynsey-

I didn't get the article but I-and a bunch of people-have noticed that if you really restrict your incoming calories you kind of stall out and stop losing weight. Then if you up your calories a bit, maybe 200 or so a day, you start losing again.

I think the body goes into a "starvation" mode where it stores the fat because the gap between your incoming & expended calories is so large that it thinks you're trying to starve it.

I don't know where they come up with the number 300-500 though. It would seem to me that it would be highly personal based on your metabolism & exercise.
urockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well, a 500 calorie difference for 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound. So, that's pretty much correct. I do think that trying to push for too big a calorie deficit can lead to a stall. We often see posters complaining that they are eating 1200 calories and working out 5-6 times a week, and yet they are not losing.

Remember that these are averages, not daily numbers set in stone...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #4  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

i need to go to a nutritionist about my calorie intake... i don't think i'm eating enough, but i really don't want to up it without someone's qualified opinion.
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #5  

So, eating about 1350 and burning 500 is ok isn't it? Sorry if I sound stupid. Just trying to maximize my results.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Eating 1350 and burning 500 might be okay for you, it might not. Unfortunately, we can't say "yes, absolutely, those numbers will result in xyz lost per week". It has to be a little bit of trial and error. Every person responds a little differently, and the same numbers don't always produce the same results.

Man, that sounds like a cop out answer, doesn't it! It really isn't. You have to experiment and see where your balance it. I would think that eating 1350 and burning 500 would be fine for you - when I was using almost those same numbers I lost between 1.5-2 pounds per week on average. I upped my calories consumed actually, because I thought that was a little too fast.

How much are you currently losing each week? That might give us a better idea of if those numbers are good for you.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #7  

I just started again last Sat. I weighed myself Fri so I will weigh tomorrow. I don't think I've lost much if anything. I've peeked (I have to try to stay off the scale because I will weigh more and more as the weight starts coming off and getting obsessed) and I was only down like 1 or so.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #8  

Oh, and I'd like to be around 2 a week for awhile.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #9  
Workin' It

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.ht

I put what I thought was your info into freedieting.com and it gave me a maintenance level of 1832 to maintain your current weight (I always put in as sedentary so exercise is extra, guessed at the age). To lose 2 pounds per week it would seem like cutting 1000 would work, which sounds like what you are doing. (500 through food, 500 through exercise). Again, doesn't always work like clockwork, but sounds like a good place to start. There are people who will tell you to not let your net calories get below 1200, and I think that was what they were trying to say in your article.

Since you just started back, I would give it two weeks where you are and then if you don't lose, I would try actually adding 100 or so cals per day back in and see what happens. Though, one pound per week isn't bad at all!

ETA: Also, if you just started back with more intense exercise this week you might also see 1-5 pounds of water weight for the net week or so until your muscles readjust - I always do every time, even with a minor exercise change.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 01-08-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote