Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #1  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default does any one else feel this way?

SO After ready some responses to my other posts about cravings and such- I'm beginning to think I look at my weight loss / diet as a way to punish myself for letting myself get this big- like this diet should not be enjoyable- like I should not be allowed to eat foods I craves, that I shouldn't allow my self a treat every now and then...

the funny thing abotu what drew me to calorie counting was the fact it's not so much a "diet" per say it's a way of life the way I will eat forever...

But now I have a hard times allowing myself to enjoy that aspect of this.. I have not cheated in the 4 weeks I have been counting my cals- with the exception of having a Special K bar and a sugar free pudding while it was "that time of the month" and I knwo that's nto even technically cheating..

the other day i was CRAVING a cheeseburger soooo bad.. and after posting on here I realized it wouldn't have killed me to go get a single burger from burger king and just hold the mayo, or even make my own here with healthy lean meat- But I wouldn't allow myself too.. I thought "I'll be cheating" I cant enjoy foods I like right? Isn't that the point to a diet?

I don't know what I'm saying.. I guess I'm just venting- It's weird that I logically know this is a way of life not some fad diet.. and that I should allow my self to enjoy some things I like every now in then in moderation as long as it doesn't put me over my allowed calories... but for some reason I haven't been able to let myself do it.. as if I'm punishing myself... does this make sence at all?
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Yes--there is that "old way of thinking" that says you need to be punished because you got overweight, and therefore you can only eat salad and bland foods.

That's where the idea of lifestyle change comes in. This isn't a "diet" that you're on to be punished. It is the way you will have to eat, pretty much, for the rest of your life. So. Does that mean you can never have ground beef again? Do you plan to always feel guilty over a Special K bar? Is that how you've set it up? Because that's no way to live, is it.

How about--making up a day's menu plan that includes ground lean beef (90% lean) for one meal. 1/4 pound patty is 175 calories--pretty easy to fit in. Season it well. Have it with a salad and some green beans? You could also make a long, thin patty and put it on a slice of bread cut in half. Whole grain bread = 120 cals per slice.

Think enjoyment!

Good luck,
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

i agree with JayEll 100%. Please try to change your thinking, Don't make it a diet, a punishment, you will only set your self up for failure because you will get tired of it. Think of it as rewarding your body for carrying itself around all your life, give it what it needs, and that's what the body will want. I have recently decided that I will never diet again. I just made the decision that God created this body, and the foods to go in it so that's what I want. I used to hate veggies and over the last month or so, I have really developed a taste for squash and zucchini and I don't even have to fry it to eat it...lol Tonight I am going to try Brussels sprouts because they sounded good. I have never thought that before. I have started to find healthy ways to fix my favorites, like Chicken fingers, I batter them in egg and whole wheat flour with some good seasonings and fry in grape seed oil. that are so good. I do fried pork chops the same way. About the only thing i haven't found a good alternative for is french fries but i do bake them. When you eat, ask your self ok, what would be the best for my body right now, or ok, this is what I want, how can i make it healthier?
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #4  
No description available.

Do you believe that obesity is a moral issue? A crime? A crime that deserves punishment? I think obesity is biology. Your body is smart---it took extra energy and stored it. What about that deserves "punishment"?

I'll tell you what finally made the difference for me---why I got the weight off this time and why I believe I will keep it off.

I have kicked the perfectionist attitude to the curb. I believe that perfectionism is the enemy of successful weight management. You do not have to hate yourself and follow some perfect plan to lose weight. To the contrary, treat yourself like you would treat your best friend, with patience and kindness. There are ways to lose weight and eat a cheeseburger too.

Obesity is not a crime. Weight loss is not a punishment. You deserve to be a healthy happy you cause you are valuable person in your own right.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

I love counting calories because I can eat anything I want and just plan it into my food bank. I even count calories in a slice of cake...i may go over but then just try to skim it off of the next few days.
I feel like for the 1st time in my life I am not being punished.I feel like I am actually treating myself to eating right and getting healthy. I am proud of the way i am chosing to eat!! After a few days of eating bad over the holidays i felt so much worse and felt like i had punished my body with the food. I am chosing to take care of myself and eat right !!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #6  
This IS it...

S/C/G: 350.2/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Do you believe that obesity is a moral issue? A crime? A crime that deserves punishment? I think obesity is biology. Your body is smart---it took extra energy and stored it. What about that deserves "punishment"?

I'll tell you what finally made the difference for me---why I got the weight off this time and why I believe I will keep it off.

I have kicked the perfectionist attitude to the curb. I believe that perfectionism is the enemy of successful weight management. You do not have to hate yourself and follow some perfect plan to lose weight. To the contrary, treat yourself like you would treat your best friend, with patience and kindness. There are ways to lose weight and eat a cheeseburger too.

Obesity is not a crime. Weight loss is not a punishment. You deserve to be a healthy happy you cause you are valuable person in your own right.
Very well said...I couldn't have said it better.

The one thing I have to add is...do you think you will be able to keep it up forever? Eating foods you don't enjoy? Because if you want to lose the weight and keep it off, it has to be forever! Even if you were to manage to make it through the weight loss portion and lose all of the weight...there is a very small chance you could keep it up because you would always be depriving yourself.
TiffTiff1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Last night I felt that I had really messed up by eating some chips and salsa and a chocolate covered cherry. I felt really bad about it so I worked out like crazy for an hour and a half. This morning I realized that I wasn't cheating myself and I stopped eating before it turned into an all-out binge. I kind of cringe when I think about the carbs but I didn't go over my calories which is important. I still feel like going off plan today but I'm going to make sure that I do not over eat and still workout so that I can continue losing weight and feeling good.

This is a first for me, normally I would have completely given up over something like this, but I feel more educated on the real way to lose weight now.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #8  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

For me, there are logical ways to eat or not eat and emotional ways to eat or not eat. I need to stick with the logical rather than the emotional.

Emotional: I won't eat that ice cream because I don't deserve to!
Logical: This craving feels temporary and that's a lot of calories. Is that something I need?

Emotional: I will eat this giant slice of cake because I'm a bad person and so upset.
Logical: I'm upset but the cake won't make me feel better about myself. It won't even taste that good if I'm all teary and weepy and with a runny nose and hiccups and cake doesn't taste good with snot!

Emotional: I ate too much. I'm a horrible person.
Logical: I ate more than I wanted to. I'm a person and I make mistakes.
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

At one time I felt the same way. When I would diet I would only eat stuff I didn't like (Oatmeal, salad, fish, etc), and of course I could only keep it up a couple weeks before I dive head first into icecream or a cheeseball. Then one day it just clicked that a "diet" would never work. This had to be something I could do for the rest of my life. Now I eat whatever I like, just keeping to my calorie limits. Of course that doesn't mean that I eat everything I love everyday, and there are somethings that I have found are too "expensive" for the enjoyment I get out of them, so I've basically eliminated them. But I like everything I eat, and so eating is still enjoyable and fun, and now counting calories is simply part of "normal".
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I love the healthy food I eat, but it's pretty critical to my ability to stay on plan that I "treat" myself, and do it often. That means I usually need to have an after-dinner treat--something like a couple squares of dark chocolate with some natural peanut butter. It also means that when I start to get PMS-y and I really want brownies, then I need to bake myself some healthy brownies and eat a few. It means that when I'm craving a cheeseburger, I need to tell my husband that we're making burgers for dinner on Friday night--and that'll end up being turkey burgers with cheese and sauteed onions on whole-grain rolls, with a side of baked sweet potato fries, and a no-sugar strawberry milkshake for dessert. It means that I need to keep on with my hobby interest in cooking Italian and French food. All these things feel "decadent" to me, but the honest truth is that the food itself is really healthy. (Whole grain, no sugar, good fats, lean meats, blah blah blah.) And I'm still watching portions/calories.

A woman does not live on lettuce alone. Figure out what you're missing and how to put it into your plan in a way that works and is healthy for you.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #11  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

WarMaiden, your turkey burgers sound fantastic!

i had a cheeseburger and fries the other day because i realized that i'm letting food take control of me instead of me taking control of food. i need to get off my high horse and ask myself what i really want out of my life. do i want to sit on the sidelines while everyone else (it seems) is eating whatever they want? no, i don't. i work out 6-7 days a week, and count my calories pretty religiously, so having a big fatty cheeseburger once in a while isn't going to make me gain 45 pounds again.

i planned my week around going out to dinner tonight... my boyfriend and i are going to a Jewish deli and i'm totally getting matzo ball soup and a Reuben. it'll be delicious. then i'll come home, work out, and move on.
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #12  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

you guys are fantastic! and making me feel better every day! what a blessing this forum is! I am going to start enjoying my new way of life! If I want soemthing I'm going to find a way to make it healthy and I'm going to allow myself to enjoy it..

because this is a way of life not a diet... and I'm goign to start living my life right now! and what am I never going to have the foods I love ever agian? No.. so I might as well find a way to fit it in in a more modest and portion controlled healthy version! You Guys Rock!!!!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote