Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #1  
brookypooh

S/C/G: 213/see ticker/120

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy So stressed!

Things at my house have been financialy unstable for a while now and food is one of those things that we get the stuff that is on sale and mostly make sure our kids have what they need. Of course they can have way more calories then I can!
Well my hubby doesnt get paid until tommarow and I started my diet on the first so I really have been putting things together and stay with in my calories, fat, and carbs. I have been able to stay under and thats the prob I stayed to far under. I have only been getting about 1000 to 1200 cals every day when they should be 1600 a day. then I dont have anything in this house that I can eat thats fat free and low in carbs that I can get the rest of my cals from. I never thought in a million years that I would be stressing about how I am going to get enough cals when for so longs its been way to many.
Sorry I just needed to vent I am trying so hard to take care of my self and watch what I eat but no matter what it just always seems so darn hard!
brookypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

There is no reason you have to eat "fat free" to get your calories...there are lots of good fats and good protein sources that would get you up to your calorie level quickly and are not expensive...peanut butter immediately comes to mind. Also a few slices of cheese -- even a couple of glasses of milk. Canned beans are cheap, good protein and it is very inexpensive to mix up some rice and beans with some chili spices and maybe some canned tomatoes if fresh are not inside your budget right now.

I am so sorry about the financial trouble, by the way. Life is stressful enough without the added worry of wondering how to put healthy food in your tummy. It is brave of you to try and get healthy with so much worry in your life right now. Hang in there!

Last edited by Schumeany; 01-05-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #3  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

Hi Brook,

Not a today solution, but maybe some long term help-

My hubby is self employed and we have fluctuating income levels- so I know where you are. We support and buy angel food boxes. You can find them online at angelfood ministries dot com. You buy a box of food with one week's worth of food for a family of four for $30. You just have to order and pay 2 weeks in advance, then go to a church to pick up the food. Their website will explain the whole process.

Some of it is convenience food that I can not eat on a diet, but they always have some great basics- ribeye steak, hamburger steak, chicken quarters, plain frozen veggies. It won't be perfect, but I try to really watch portion sizes. Some items I pass on to my inlaws so I am not tempted. We have a small child and sometimes we have no income for 6-8 weeks at a time, so it feels nice to have my freezer stocked so I know we won't go hungry.

You might take a look and see if it would help your situation. Unfortunately, there may not be a provider in your area.

Best wishes and hope your situation improves soon.

Last edited by mtnheart; 01-05-2009 at 08:49 PM.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Brook,

My sister uses the angelfood ministries food bank that mtnheart was talking about. It is not income based, anyone can participate. She also likes to get the additional Fresh Fruit and Veggie Box which is usually about $20. I have been meaning to try it. She thinks it is great and helps her stretch her food budget.

Also, I don't know if you have an Aldi's close to you but their prices can really help the budget minded. I get most of my veggies there very cheap.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #5  
brookypooh

S/C/G: 213/see ticker/120

Height: 5'6"

Thank you ladies so much its just so nice to be able to come and vent on here and have people not take it just as complaining and actualy give you good advice!!! Thank you so much for that!!!
I had to apply for food stamps becuase I lost my job and well thats a long story but we havent gotten them yet so I am waiting for that to come threw kmfc. I have never been in a situation that we have had to get help like that before so I am kind of new to it. I appreciate the advice about the angle food! I also do have aldi right down the road and saw to day that they had all their fit and active stuff on sale so as soon as I have some money I plan to run there and get some stuff. Its just been a rough week becuase I started this on the first and he doesnt get paid til tomarrow kwim. But I am just praying things get easier soon. My dh jokes with me "its easy to lose weight when you dont have much food" but omg I just want to be healthy not anorexic lol kwim? I am a long way from that though so I am trying to just fill my body with the best stuff I can find in my house.
and about the fat and carb thing .... the problem I ran into is that I have a lot more things that are full of bad carbs like white bread and pasta. Becuase I only really have that to work with I have been filling up on my carbs faster then I can cals but the nice thing is it gave me a reason to look at eveything I am eating and to make sure I am not putting to much of one or the other in my body! Oh well thank you again ladies you all are truly wonderful!
brookypooh is offline   Reply With Quote