Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #1  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

Default culinary student on a diet

I'm barely on my third day of WW and I've been finding it difficult to calculate my points. I mean, I write down everything I eat in my food journal, but it's a bit annoying calculating everything that goes in my mouth.

But what I'm really worried about is when I start school again. I'm a culinary student and almost everything we make is by taste not a recipe so I'm constantly trying different foods. Anybody have any helpful pointers to resisting yummy foods?

Does it get easier?
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

First of all, a big to 3FCs, and especially to the Weight Watcher forum.

As a culinary student, you do have challenges that most of us don't. One thing that may help you immensely is portion control. You can taste your dishes for flavor with a dab on a spoon. Also, although I don't know how much freedom you are allowed with individuality of choice, you could concoct healthier projects. People everywhere are looking for tasty, yet healthy, meals, and this can serve you well in your future in the food service industry. Let your weight loss journey be incorporated not only into your education, but as your gift to your future patrons.

Please keep coming here and let us know how it's going. Good luck!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 6

Have you tried using the e-tools for calculating your points? I joined weight watchers and got the monthly pass, which includes free e-tools. It's incredibly easy to track your points online. You just type in what you ate and the points tracker keeps track of how many points that food was, as well as how many points you have left for the day. I'd highly recommend it!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #4  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the site! Yes that will be a challenge. Someone once said you can have a tablespoon of anything, so long as you keep it at that. Good luck with your studies!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #5  
Hard Work Pays Off

Thank you everyone for your advice! E tools seems like a good idea, but I don't have the money for it. But there's a deal right now that I'll get one week free on WW online, so I'll try it out.
Tablespoon of anything sounds reasonable, I think I'll just not eat 10-15 of my weekly points and just use that for those tablespoons.
And I think i'll do the healthy meal thing too! Our school runs a little cafe and that's how we get our experience. Everything is usually really fattening, so having something healthy on the menu will be good for my fellow dieters out there.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #6  
April

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

I def. know what you are going through. As a fellow culinary student, it can be tough. Especially since I am the baker of the group and am always making desserts. It can be wicked hard to follow your plan. Moderation is the key to everything!!
aprilcp12344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #7  
forgetting the past

Height: 5'3

Don't worry it will come easier to you. My boyfriend is a culinary student as well and over the past year he went from 270 to 170 and looks great! I know that he just limited himself to what he tasted. However, now that he lost all the weight he is changing his profession! Haha go figure! You'll do fine. I usually plan my meals the night before and write them down, its a lot easier.
xchampagnedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #8  
Hard Work Pays Off

april- the baker in your group? That must be horrible! We have stations that we rotate every three weeks. When my group was on baking I seriously gained 10 pounds!! I hope you hang in there. I know that's really haard.

xcdream- i'm just barely finishing up my first week on ww and yeah, planning my meals, or at least a couple of them for the day will definitely help me stay on track. even if it's just breakfast and a snack. I've gone over a couple of times already because i would go somewhere, and not have enough points to eat with!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #9  

If you are a meeting member, you can get a monthly pass for $39 that is all the meetings you want to attend for the month plus free etools. Cheapest way to do WW.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #10  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Personally I would plan a little extra exercise to compensate for the tasting...
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote