Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #1  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

Default Slim Fast vs Special K

Hi eveyone,

I used to come here very often about 1 1/2 yrs ago and thought i'd come back for some help and advice I am really bad at "trying" to eat the right things so I thought something that may help me get started and motivated by seeing a weight loss is to try one of the meal replacement plans....I saw a website the suggested mixing the slimfast and special k plan so you have a variety since they're both basically the same. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? I just had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago so i'm not able to get out there and exercise yet...I do a little bit of walking but that's it for now...so I know i'm going to have be patient and not expect a miracle. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jcogs; 01-05-2009 at 01:15 AM.
jcogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Hi Jeanette!

I'm not a weight-loss expert, but I am realistic, down-to-earth and have my own weight journey. Now, I'm sure someone may post after me bashing the Special K diet because it isn't ideal. BUT, like I said, I'm unapologetically real. I have done the Special K challenge before (substitute two meals per day with Special K cereal or a SK bar, etc.) and you'll either lose 6 lbs in two weeks or go down a jeans size in 3 weeks. And you know what? It WORKED for me.

Currently, I am thinking about trying to substitute a few meals here and there with Kix cereal. I think the important thing to remember is that this isn't a permanent fix. But it could be a great jump-start. Plus, it's definitely better for me if I'm eating cereal for a meal instead of fast-food.

The only thing is, with the hysterectomy, I'm not sure if you should do anything too dramatic with your diet. I've never had a hysterectomy before, but I know my mom was really exhausted after hers. So, I hope you are feeling well and you should probably eat lots of vegetables with iron.

Honestly, the best thing I could ever recommend for weight loss is positive thinking. Best wishes!
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

If it were my choice, I'd have to do the special K. Slim fast tastes good, but it's got too much sugar in it. The second and third and sixth ingredients are sugar. Plus lots of other stuff I wouldn't want in my diet. I would not add sugar to the special K either...just milk. But I like cereal better without sugar on it. And most breakfast cereals probably have sugar in them (maybe not special K).

Last edited by recidivist; 01-05-2009 at 01:52 AM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You should check with your doctor. You're only 2 weeks out, and you need good nutrition for healing.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #5  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

thank you all for your replies. I did check with my doctor yesterday when i went in for my 2 week post-op, he said I should wait a little while before I do anything "that drastic" and that I needed the calories in my food for energy to heal. BUT, he did recommend this really cool website. www.realage.com i'm not sure if I can put that here or not but you take this "test" and it shows your body's "biological age" and it will show you a plan for weight loss and exercise. The menu plan looks really good so i'm going to give that a try, it's the doctors that do the "you" books, Dr. Oz and Roizen(I think is his name). i've been messing around the sight since yesterday and have come up with a menu plan that looks really doable....i'll keep you posted ;-) and thanks so much again!

Last edited by jcogs; 01-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.
jcogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
You should check with your doctor. You're only 2 weeks out, and you need good nutrition for healing.
I agree. I don't think now would be the best time for that type of diet.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

I've found that neither of the plans fill me up! I always feel hungry with them. Does anyone else notice that?
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote