Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default I don't hate Oprah quite so much now LOL

I've seen her in a few interviews discussing her 40lbs. weight gain, and after her being so smug about it all, about how SHE knew all the answers about weight loss etc. and was going to spread the news to us lesser mortals, she was humbled and seemed much more human. She said something to the effect of all the money in the world, all the fame, all the opportunity mean nothing at all in the end if you can't control what you do to your own body - and if there was a magic solution she could buy it and then some. Sigh, of course come january she's going to teach us all how to do it properly AGAIN LOL

As happy as I am with my 75lb. weight loss, i KNOW it can all come back and with a few friends, so even though it took a whole year to lose 20 lbs., I feel like I was able to maintain for that length of time and it didn't kill me. I want to lose another 30 and maintain that for a year, to see if i can LIVE that way, you know? I never want to get so full of myself that I think I have this fat thing BEAT and i can just go on my merry way and be skinny LOL that ain't happening!!!

Last edited by Trazey34; 01-03-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Actually, I never found her to be smug about her loss. I thought she was excited and wanted to share how she did it with everyone. I'm sorry that she's gained some back. I feel for her. This could happen to any of us.

I don't know that I'll ever feel "safe." People talk about how sweets, sodas, french fries, etc, don't taste good to them after being on-plan for a while. Well, that's never been my story. All it takes is one bite and I'm in love again. I'll always have to be extra viligent. I know that I'll never truly have this eating issue beat, but I hope to suppress it and keep it packed away.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-03-2009 at 04:25 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #3  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Personally...The sales of her weight loss stuff has been down, remember the books, journals and all that?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a media stunt.

But then agian...I can't stand that woman.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Losing weight is hard; and maintaining that loss is twice as hard, for all of us. It doesn't matter who you are. Now that I am older, I am finding it even more difficult; but this time, like Rhonda says, I know that this will be a life-long journey. I wish the best for everyone, becuz I know from experience just how difficult it can be ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even among non-celebrities, after a large weight loss it can be very easy (and it's certainly common) to think you've got all of the answers (or at least a fair share of them) and the excitement and enthusiasm can inspire a desire to share them with the world.

From the outside, it can look like smugness. I remember during her first weight loss and her saying statements like "I'll never go back" or "I've conquered this for good," I thought "Uh-oh, that's what everyone says the FIRST time."

The weight loss battle isn't so easily won.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-03-2009 at 04:59 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I like Oprah. I think that it just shows that she has human failings like the rest of us. Also, if she does not talk about her weight gain, I can promise that someone else will be pointing it out. I am glad that I haven't had people taking pictures of me to post in papers and magazines to point out my weigh gains!

Trazey34,
Congratulations on your 75lb. weight loss!!!
I think your approach of losing weight, maintaining for awhile, then losing again is a wonderful approach. We all have to do what is best for us. I have been considering using the same approach because I am so afraid of gaining the weight back.

Way to go!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/195/155

Height: 5'7"

I too think that your choice to lose and maintain is an admirable one. If you know that you can do it, it makes you more confident to make the permanent changes necessary to keep it off. I have thought the same thing. I just wanted to get 100 pounds off (mostly to know that I can) and then stay at a more easy-to-maintain overweight state and just work on building muscle, eating reasonably and healthily, and continuing to make and keep exercise goals.

I keep getting asked how I've lost it as though people think that I've got some magic plan that will work for them. I've *almost* gotten to the point that I enjoy the look of dissapointment when I say-careful restrictive diet and lots of working out.

Hubris thy name is Oprah-however-at least she readily admits that its because she wasn't really following her own plan.
julietm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #8  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

I am a fan of Oprah. I didn't find anything she said about her weight smug. I know that I have walked down that relapse path myself so I give her and anyone who must get back on track all kinds of support because it is not easy!
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietm View Post

I keep getting asked how I've lost it as though people think that I've got some magic plan that will work for them. I've *almost* gotten to the point that I enjoy the look of dissapointment when I say-careful restrictive diet and lots of working out.
I had that experience today. A friend said she wants to lose weight and asked how I did it. I said "I log everything I eat." She didn't seem to care for that idea.

I'm also trying not to do the "oprah" and really broadcast my weight loss. Yes I take photos that show my figure more (normally the chubbier you are the less full-body shots you're inclined to take), but I'm not really talking about my weight loss unless people ask. When I was younger and I lost weight my goal was to be as thin as possible. I got to my ideal skinny weight, but it was nearly impossible to maintain. I had to work out several hours a day, eat a very limited number of foods and breastfeed to stay thin. The minute I stopped nursing and working out like a madwoman, I gained 15 pounds. I started working at a candy store (ugggh) gained 15 more. I believe all that stuff about a body's "set point" - the weight you gravitate too. For the past 10 years due to illness, aging, bad genes and eating convenience foods I've been just straight up fat. Now I'm only chubby. I'll be happy if I can get back to my "set point" of being about 20-25 pounds overweight. I won't look like I want to look and fit into the skinniest jeans, but I think I'll be able to maintain that weight if I'm careful.
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #10  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
I don't know that I'll ever feel "safe." People talk about how sweets, sodas, french fries, etc, don't taste good to them after being on-plan for a while. Well, that's never been my story. All it takes is one bite and I'm in love again. I'll always have to be extra viligent. I know that I'll never truly have this eating issue beat, but I hope to suppress it and keep it packed away.
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. A lot of people on South Beach mention after they get past phase I, they don't like sugar anymore. I will admit, I notice when it's in foods more (I guess my tastebuds are more sensitive to it now), but I will never stop liking sugar or any of the other unhealthy foods I used to eat. Which means that if I'm not vigilant about exercising and watching what I put in my mouth, I'll be back in the "I'm starting over" boat yet once again.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 01-03-2009 at 09:34 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #11  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Quote:
I like Oprah. I think that it just shows that she has human failings like the rest of us. Also, if she does not talk about her weight gain, I can promise that someone else will be pointing it out. I am glad that I haven't had people taking pictures of me to post in papers and magazines to point out my weigh gains!
Exactly! It's bad enough I know when I gain weight how bad it is but to have pictures splashed all over showing it!!!
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #12  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

I feel bad for Oprah, it is very hard to constantly struggle with your weight and go up and down and it must be even more painful in the public eye where you are forced to say well I gained my weight back again. In the past I have somewhat felt that she acted like she had all the answers but then again if I had the platform to reach millions of people and wanted to show off my weight loss and how I did it I prob. would to. I think she has always had the best intentions and really does want to help people. It does make me feel better in a way that just like all of us who are not famous billionaires she still struggles with food and her weight and I bet it has humbled her. I hope for her and for all of us that the next time we lose this weight will be our last!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I feel badly for her We all know how HARD it is to lose and keep weight off. Just goes to show you that money can't buy you everything.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post

Actually, I never found her to be smug about her loss. I thought she was excited and wanted to share how she did it with everyone. I'm sorry that she's gained some back. I feel for her. This could happen to any of us.
I too will never ever feel "safe". Never. There will never be a time when I will say, "I'm cured". Because I'm not. But I believe it's that fear that will help to keep me on my toes, to never let my guard down. I've got a lifetime condition - compulsive overeating - it can never be permenantly fixed. But it can be managed, with careful monitoring and tracking and good habits in place. There are lots of lifetime illnesses, conditions and diseases that can't be cured. But people go on to lead "full, healthy normal lives" with them. They keep it in check. They do what they have to do in order to keep their condition at bay. Because they have to. They want to. Their very lives are at stake and they want to make the most of their lives. And I believe that the same holds true with my condition/disease. I take it just as seriously as anyone who's got a "real" medical condition. And like anybody with a condition knows, there WILL be ups and downs. It will not always be smooth sailing.

I also never thought of Oprah as smug. In fact, just the opposite. She is SO open about her eating issues. And I wouldn't count her out just yet. She IS aware of her weight gain. She's lost it once (twice, 3X, whatever). She can and hopefully WILL do it again. And if need be - again.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

In a way I feel bad for Oprah. She seems so upset with her body and herself. I wish she would just love herself a little more - she's done a lot with her life and her weight shouldn't be her defining characteristic. With all the of the help and support that she can pay for, she still struggles with getting to some magical weight. I wish she would consider the idea that perhaps the weight she is trying to achieve and maintain is too far below where her body wants to be.
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote