Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201.5/186.5/140 per WiiFit

Height: 5'4"

Default Living on Cymbalta

Hello, I am new these boards and have been reviewing the various forums that 3FC provides. I would also like to be a part of this forum as well as I believe that a portion of my weight gain has come from anti-depressants. I have been on anti-depressants for at least 10 yrs starting w/ zoloft for a short period of time, Paxil for probably a good part of my 30's, switched to Lexapro/Wellbutrin, and now on Cymbalta only. I think the Lexapro stint is what brought on the most weight gain and while I thought I was feeling good on Lexapro I have recently discovered how much BETTER I feel on Cymbalta, I actually feel like a mask has been lifted off my face, I actually feel like I'm coming back to life and want to look and feel good about myself as I approach 45 (yikes!!!)
I am wondering though how others have done on weightloss efforts while on Cymbalta?
Have you found it a little or alot more difficult?
Look forward to chatting w/ others who are in similiar situations.
Thanks!!!
Happy New Year!!!
Debbie
DebbieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Debbie and

The ladies on this forum are SWEET!!!! The ones that post here regularly are on the monthly thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159868 I know they would love for you to join in.

I'm so happy Cymbalta is working for you ( oh I'm turning 45 this year too... time flys doesn't it).

Happy New Year !!
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225

Height: 5'6"

Hi Debbie,
I was on Cymbalta a couple of years ago for about a year. I had started on Effexor, which I really liked but it made my blood pressure spike so doc switched my to Cymbalta. It worked okay for me and I didn't really gain or lose any weight. At the time my weight wasn't bad. In the last year or so my weight has gone up quite a bit. I now take Pristiq, which is a form of Effexor and I really like it. I feel very positive and in control of my life. Now that the new year is here and the holidays are over, I am going to get serious about my weight loss, so we'll see how it goes. Best of luck to you.

Susan
susaninohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #4  
Mel

Hi Debbie,
I've been on Cymbalta for 2 years and have no weight related effects at all. The only thing I noticed at first is that my sleep was more interrupted, which is ironic because I'm taking it for fibromyalgia and my total inability to sleep. The sleep problem went away after about 2 weeks. I also attribute a lot of my weight gain to use of earlier antidepressants (trazadone in particular), but I was able to lose 65 pounds taking serzone (now off the market) and keep it off through a few other drugs which didn't work for me, and now cymbalta. I feel better on cymbalta than any other med I've taken, and I've had 18 years of different meds.

Good luck to you!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201.5/186.5/140 per WiiFit

Height: 5'4"

Hi Mel,
thank you for responding regarding Cymbalta... I really hope the same happens w/ me regarding weight loss, of course I know it's noteasy but I think sometimes just knowing that it won't adding an obstacle is so encouraging. I agree.. Changing to Cymbalta has really made adifference in outlook and overall attitude, I'm no longer just going through the motions of living.Now I just need to use that to find some motivation for the treadmill and Wii Fit!!!
DebbieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #6  
Mel

Debbie,
Now that you are feeling better, I'm willing to bet that getting on the treadmill will make you feel even better when you are done a session. And the Wii fit is just plain fun! Exercise raises endorphin levels. Yo don't need to run a marathon or lift heavy for an hour for the physchological benefits or the physical. Start easy- a 10 minute brisk walk. You'll be amazed at how soon your body and mind crave it.

I work out alot to maintain my weight and the musculature that I want. But I also do it to stay sane. The infrequent day where I miss some type of structured, intense physical activity...ugh, I'm crazy by evening!

Best wished to you.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote