Old 12-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Default Feeling discourage about exercise.

I'm trying to rebuild my schedule to get up early to exercise, I can do it this way better than any other way. Go to bed early and get up ear, ly to exercise. I did it yesterday but last night I got into a book and my clock was somehow unplug and it was 2am when I went to bed. Ugh!

So I of course was up early anyway about 7:30 because the boys woke me up. Only 2 this morning though because one was at a sleep over. So today I figured sometime I would occupy them and jump on the treadmill.

So I put Mica my youngest down for a nap at 1pm. The other two I put in front of the computer and tv. I got on my treadmill. Not even 2 minutes in, they are fighting. So about ten minutes on my treadmill and I actually only walked for 3 minutes. I'm starting to realize that my treadmill sucks, it's not a good fit for me, I bought it second hand off my friend for cheap because she was moving out of town. So now I"m of the conclusion that I won't keep it and will look into investing insomething better for me.

So I hope on my elliptical. I timed myself by my clock and it was 15 minutes but because I was getting up to deal with the boys, the ellipitcal time said 3.5 minutes. I don't know how I will ever be able to get my exercise in if I can't get on schedule or have an off day. Now I'm pretty determined to get on my schedule. I'm sweating pretty good so I think I'll just continue to move as I clean my house.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

It takes some time to establish a habit. Give yourself a chance to get the routine down.
Also - you can play with your kids as part of your exercise. That can certainly be a workout (plus you can tire them out )

Any little bit of movement when you are first starting to exercise is great, do what you can.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

It's hard when you have little kids, but you can train them not to bother you for 30 minutes (depending on how old they are). I would also make a "no fighting" rule: when mommy is on the treadmill or the eliptical, you're not allowed to fight. If your brother is making you mad, just stay away from him for 30 min. Give them a sticker or some small prize for leaving you in peace while you exercise

Good luck, you can make it a habit!

Last edited by thinpossible; 12-31-2008 at 08:54 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I remember how hard it was to exercise when my boys were little. I sure wish I would have done it, though. I feel bad now that I didn't teach them the importance of it. I like Lori's idea about including them in it. Can you get outside at all? From your avatar it sounds like this might be a challenge. Is it too cold to get out and play in the snow? Forgive my ignorance, I'm living in a very moderate climate. Or even playing games in the house. I found these sites that had some ideas...

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/503...nter-exercises
http://www.ehow.com/how_4603279_plan...cise-kids.html

Maybe if you can wear them out like Lori said, you would get some peace to get in a good workout yourself. If you get in on their games that will probably be good exercise for you too.
Don't give up on it, it's so important for your health and theirs!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #5  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

I so know how you feel! My girls are 2 and 4 and I have tried to include them when I do my exercise videos but after a few minutes they get bored and tell me they want to stop. I pretty much have to do it early or at night after they go to bed. It can be frustrating!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have young kids too and I can usually get away with doing my pilates dvd while they are up...other than that if it looks like it's a bad day for them I turn on the radio and get them to dance (crazy!) with me That burns a lot of calories and wears them out at the same time lol

I either get up early to get on my treadmill & the rest of my exercises or wait till they go to bed.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/261/135

Height: 5'2"

Try exercising when you put them in bed at night, maybe the first 30 min or so. The noise shouldn't bother them because they will still be awake for a little while.
angiemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #8  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I have a friend who does dance videos with her kids. She got a disco ball, turns out the lights, and makes it fun for them. Also gets them in the exercise habit when they're young.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

A friend of mine said something to me once that really upset me ... but after a while I realized it was true.

If something is important to you, you MAKE TIME for it.

When you talk about "sometime today" or "when I find time" or "squeeze it in" (all things I've said), you're not really making a commitment to doing something. You're treating it like an afterthought - something you'll do *if* you have time.

But if it's important you do it. You will schedule a time. You will make sure it gets done. Etc.

We all have things in our lives that interfere and infringe, whether it's kids, spouses, whatever. We all have challenges. But we also all have the ability to say "this is my time and I'm going to take it".

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #10  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I think it sounds like you are least trying to do it when you can. I do not have kids...(only nephews) and I could not of imagined how my sister in law fit it all in when they were young. I think you are of the mind set you need to get it in and that makes a lot of difference. I believe you will get a schedule working for you. It may just take a little while to get it sorted it out but as long you don't give up.....it will happen!

You can do it Donna!!!

Last edited by DollyR; 01-01-2009 at 07:04 PM.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/140/137

I just channel Bob Green.
He says 'exercise is non-negotiable', 'it has to be a religion' if u want to keep weight off. I treat it like brushing my teeth.

good luck you can do this.
brunellobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8"

Great advice here and can I add that as long a you don't give up it will work itself out.

Hang in there!

Last edited by Tonia; 01-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Thanks everyone for your response, encouragement, support and advice. I am ready to do this and will build my schedule around this. This is something that I want so much, I remember how good it felt to exercise when I was doing it before on a regular basis. I so want to make it work and fit it in. It is about me making the time and writing it down. My plan is to do it every morning first thing before the kids are up. Starting tomorrow. I'm off to bed now. I feel much better about this!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #14  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Go, Donna!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

You have a great plan! Remember it is not all or nothing. If you miss a day the other days still count. Keep working your plan and get right back to it as soon as you can. Doing ten minutes at 3 different times still adds up to 30 minutes when the day is done and is better than nothing. Good Luck!
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote