Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default starting the wii fit

For Christmas I bought a wii for the family. I had a few ideas about this, one is for my daughter to bring home more of her new friends. Since we have moved to the country, the teens don't hang here as much, and I want to know her friends more and know where they are. So we got Mario cart, and rock band, and dance dance revolution for her.
For me, I got the wii fit. A gym is too far to drive, and I don't like walking in the dark on the country roads, and the snow is too deep to walk in the valley right now.
So I started on the wii fit today. Set up in a back room, so whoever is playing a game or exercising is away from the main tv room etc.
Does it seem weird, I didn't want my daughter or husband around while I synched and set up and started up. I want to do this privately, but my daughter got ticked when I asked her to leave me be. TOO bad.
I am hoping that with this program I will get a bit more regular about my exercise. I figure there is not much point to dieting more if I don't get fit first. I also want to go cross country skiing on my vacation, so need to get in shape to do that.
It isn't terrible. I have just done 2 little programs so far.
anyone else using it, what works best?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #2  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

The yoga is really nice, it helps with stretching and flexibility. Other than that, I haven't really done much. I don't have my own!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/160/155

Height: 5'8"

I also got the Wii Fit for Christmas! I love it already! I have used it three days in a row already for various things. Personally, I love the balance games and the stepping exercises. I can feel the results of the balancing exercises already in my calves, and while none of it so far has been super high intensity, I enjoy it nonetheless. Maybe you would enjoy it if you incorporated your family. I know them knowing your weight may seem a little scary, but you are working toward changing it and the graphs Wii Fit provides can show them just how consistent and serious you are with this. I love the line graph that shows me my daily progress. Anyway, explore a little bit, the more you use it the more games you unlock. New challenges are always fun too

blanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

OK, you aren't weird at all. I felt super self-conscious when I first started using workout DVDs. As I became more comfortable with the workouts, I became less shy about having an audience. Lots of people don't like trying new things with others present.

Recommendation - explain this to your daughter - that you just want to get used to using it by yourself, that she can come join you later - you will let her know when.

And - I just got one too - I love it! AND - I am really surprised, but I love the wii games too. I am having a blast with bowling and tennis and Super Swing Golf 2. They are good exercise if you use the remote and actually go through the motions of the game. And for the record - I'm 50+ and have never used a game system before
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

We got one for Christmas too! We told the kids that the Wii was for them, but DH and I fully intend to use it. I had never bought the kids a gaming system before because I didn't want them sitting in front of the TV vegetating. This is so much better!

As for the Wii Fit. Today was my third day using it. Yesterday I logged almost 1 1/2 hours over 2 sessions. Today I am starting to feel it in my calves. My shoulders also hurt, but that is from playing Wii tennis. So far I like the aerobics section of Wii Fit the best. I'm really pitiful at the short run, but I'm OK with step. Today I unlocked boxing, so I'll see how that goes.

Maybe we should starting checking in here with each other- to share stories or tips. I know that eventually I will need to encouragement to keep using the Wii Fit. I know exercise is important, but with a full time job, 2 kids, and being in school full time, other things seem to creep in and take over exercise time.
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #6  
Madeleine

Thanks for the advice and support everyone. I think I have read the fit will lecture you if you don't log in regularly to exercise. It will keep track of you.
I am planning to build slowly. I agree, I wanted the wii over other game systems cause I wanted the gaming to be active.
Christmas day was lots of fun, The 5 younger people. (my 2 daughters, a nephew and a boyfriend and his brother) played rock band and DDR all evening. They had a blast. I was in heaven enjoying their fun. It was how I had envisioned the day. My nephew is very shy and quiet and seeing him smiling and laughing and being enthused was terrific.
Got the wii ski for my husband too. He LOVEs it
Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

We got the Wii system, too - told the kids it was for them, but Dh got me the WiiFit. All four of us have registered on it, and I've used it two days in a row. But I also enjoy the boxing and bowling. Dh and the boys stayed up last night into the wee hours playing golf and bowling - it was great to hear them laughing and horsing around together.

Glad to have some form of exercise (other than hauling & chopping wood) for the winter months.
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/252/180

Height: 5'5"

We got the Wii Fit also. According to the Wii Fit, my son is at risk of being overweight. He loves it. I have played a few games and had a blast. I discovered stomach muscles that must have been lost for years. I need to set a goal for playing Wii. Hopefully, it can help me get rid of this extra weight I am carrying.
truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

A couple of questions.....

1st - is there a weight limit on the Wii fit?

2nd - is it really a good workout?

My fiance & I love playing video games, we have a PS3, PS2 & a Gamecube!
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #10  
FB

1st - is there a weight limit on the Wii fit?
I've read several bits - one source says 600 pounds (but the weight will not register/record) and the other 330. Likely a combo of both - 600 pound weight limit, 330 pound scale limit.

2nd - is it really a good workout?

That's all relative to the exerciser, I personally don't think so. Then again, I put a lot of time in at the gym doing high intensity cardio and slinging heavy weights around. It's a fun family activity for sure. If I were less experienced with exercise it would be safe to say it would be a wonderful, motivating and FUN starting point.

Last edited by FB; 12-28-2008 at 01:04 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/252/180

Height: 5'5"

Wii Fit materials say 330lbs is the limit. The only workout I do is water aerobics 2x/week and walking the dog a couple of times a day for 20 minutes. For me, it is a good workout. I can imagine if someone goes to the gym often, it would not be a good workout.

It is fun and a great motivator for our family.
truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #12  
new girl

S/C/G: 177.8/174.3/125

Height: 5'2"

I just wanted to say that I would have felt the same way (re: wanting to be alone)-- I have videos and like the programs that are free on demand but won't do them if my boyfriend is home (we have an apartment and the tv is in the livingroom)... He's home from work on vacation for two weeks right now (!) and I actually can't wait until he goes back so I can get back into doing some things at home... lol.

I hope you love the wii!
jerzeezfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

ive thought about gettin a wii for quite some time, like the past 7 months. I only wanted the wii for the wii fit tho to aid with my weight loss. Since wanting one my bedroom has been moved around, so i have no room to put it, and more to the point no room to exercise in my bedroom (this was the plan by my father to stop me exercising so much. Still I have a workout shed in the back garden that was built last summer. The plan for me is to get a treadmill put in there so I can start my half marathon training.

I ultimately figure the wii wouldnt benefit me a huge amount for costing the amount it would. I am not a huge gamer and wudnt use it an awful lot.
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #14  
Madeleine

I haven't got to the more challenging games yet, of course, but I doubt the wii fit would be much of a challenge for someone who is already in shape. I like that it has combo of aerobic, yoga, weight training/strength training, and balance. I am looking for it to get me exercising at home really regularly.
I don't have access to a gym, and there are real dangers to walking on the country roads, especially now it gets dark.
Had fun this am. Did aerobics and yoga. The yoga so far is pretty simple. I do yoga semi-regularly for a couple of years, so it is not to my potential yet.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

I got one for Christmas also and just finished playing with it...wow! It's fun! I'm a complete beginner (again) with exercise so it will be a huge help to getting me in better shape. I like, scratch that, LOVE that it keeps a chart of my progress...that alone is completely motivating! Awesome present!!!
kiki100 is offline   Reply With Quote