Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #1  

Default Calorie Counting VS Weight Watchers Points

I would like some feed back to why some of you choose CC over WW
and vice versa. I have done WW points in the past, the old 123 Success program. I have all the material so I wouldn't need the meetings. But I'm wondering what the difference is in CC and WW?
I have about 10 pounds to loose, so I want the more aggressive program since the last 10 pounds are always the hardest. I will be exercising at home by doing a recumbent bike, and Walk Away The Pounds by Leslie Sansome. I try to eat "clean" foods.
Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks
Cathy
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #2  
Empress/Queen

I count calories but have also done WW and think it's a great program. It's just a personal decision.

For me, having counted calories for a long time, it's just easier as I know how many calories are in things and I have an extensive database and nutritional software in my hard drive, plus the wonderful Diet King book every year and the whole internet to look things up in if I'm in doubt, which is seldom.

To me points are just another way of counting calories like a device I have that clicks off calories in 50-cal increments for a quick approximation. I don't care about the fat and fiber calculation that WW makes (do care about fiber but not terribly worried about fat as I eat the good kind mostly). Just for my purposes, I feel calories are a more detailed and specific and accurate count.

But both systems are good, it's really just an individual choice. WW is great.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I would have to agree with Janga that both are good choices. I personally prefer WW points because I can keep it in my head better. For example, 200 calories always seemed like a reasonable snack, but I would never spend 4 points on a snack. Crazy, I know! Another advantage of WW for me was that it pushed me toward healthier foods. Since you already eat clean this may not be as important to you.

Good luck with whichever you choose!
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think calorie counting works best for me. WW is a good program and I have done it . I just think Calorie counting is more reliable and something I can use long term for maintenance. And it is free!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

I'm a CC too, but think that WW workes well. It's personal choice, which ever is easier for you. Just remember to choose healthy food, high fiber, good oils.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #6  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

right now i'm not doing it but seems for the most part i would keep track of calories but then convert to points...so if you looking for easier i find counting calories best especially if your using a site like fitday to track them
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229.5/229.5/199 then 150-130?

Height: 5' 2"

I am new here and I was wondering the same thing. I think for now I am going to use WW because I have all of the materials and it is simple. I don't worry about the fats either but I do like the bonus of higher fiber foods being lower points. I do think it helps me to make better decisions.
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like calorie counting. It's free! I do like WW recipes, however. Sometimes I Google WW 1 point recipes to get some ideas for low-calorie eating. I think WW probably has a good program but I don't totally understand the point of it. I find support here--thank you 3FC and members. I weigh myself. I am educating myself daily about food--and not JUST in regard to calories/fat.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #9  

That is really and old WW program. It has changed a lot over the years. I've been a lifetime member since 1977 and highly recommend WW and attending meetings.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

You could do both for a little bit. See what you like better. Since you are going to be keeping a food journal anyway, count your points and then put the calorie count beside it. Basically, WW is just counting calories anyway, just in an easier form.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I LOVE calorie counting.

It's much more logical to me then WW. Doesn't leave the door open for "free" foods. 1 point is a wide range of calories. Which would NOT work for me. When I purchase things with calorie contents on them (yogurt, veggie burgers, etc) , it gives me the calorie content, not the WW points value. For me, if I'm going to keep tally of something (foods that I eat), why not track them accurately ? It really just makes more sense to me.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

I just wanted to add here, that I am by no means knocking WW. I know there are many people who are quite successful on their plan. But I believe that for me, calorie counting is more suitable.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #13  

Default Thanks everyone!!

Thank you everyone for your advice, and support!! This site is great!!
I think I will try writing down the calories and the points just to see how the points and calories compare. I think my problem is that I can get OCD with counting either one. Early in the day I am wanting to "save" my calories or points "Just in case" I may need them Then by the end of the day I have a lot to make up for. I need to plan out my whole day before the day begins, that way I know what I will be eating and how many calories or points I will be eating during the day. It's just some days I may not feel like eating the foods I had "planned" for that day. I think it would help me to relax though.
Thanks again everyone!!!
Cathy
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

Yes, I believe planning out your day in advance is the way to go. That's what I do and have been doing for well over 2 years now.

Quote:
It's just some days I may not feel like eating the foods I had "planned" for that day.
At this point, I have many different ideas/options for breakfast, lunch, dinners and snacks, all about equal calories. Easy to eat this one or that one, according to what I'm in the mood for. As you get further into the process, you will see what "works" for you and what doesn't. What foods you are satisfied with - and which ones that you aren't.

Quote:
I think my problem is that I can get OCD with counting either one
As far as obsessing about calories, don't think of it in that manner. I like to think of it as that I am aware of my calories. I eat mindfully. And that I need to monitor them in order to keep to a healthy weight. Makes it seem a whole lot less "cuckoo" and downright necessary. Because I truly believe that keeping track, carefully monitoring ones food intake is essential to living a healthier and hopefully happier life. Doesn't seem so OCD when you balance your checkbook, does it? Our food intake is just as important, if not more so.

Give yourself some time for your food choices to evolve and for you to get more into the planning and healthy eating.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #15  

Smile Ann2009

Wow what good advice. I've done WW on and off (OK more off than on!!) since the 70's. It's a terrific program. I have all of the materials and am going to try this support group this time.

Life is hectic--I have trouble making it to a meeting--but weight watchers taught me portion size and how good I feel when I eat good food (I like the term "clean food").

I so glad to have found such a positive group online.
Ann2009 is offline   Reply With Quote