Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

Question Suriving the holidays?

OK, so I need honest opinions here. How do you guys tackle the holidays? I'm in my 3rd week of changing my WOE. I've noticed significant improvements in the way I feel and I've lost a few pounds as well . So I don't ever cave into urges to go OP because 1) I have very few of those urges 2) I prepare food ahead of time for those emergencies 3) I don't keep those foods in my house anymore. So on Christmas I am getting together with 25 family members and there will be TONS of high carb foods...not to mention all the desserts and 25 people telling me "oh come on...it's Christmas". I mean, really I don't want to be miserable looking and salivating over all the food I shouldn't have yet I don't want to throw all my hard work down the drain for one day.

How are you all really planning to get through it?
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I will soon be on Atkins 5 years and I am proud to say, I've survived Christmas's, Thanksgiving's, Birthday's, Parties, Dinners with DBF etc. The beauty of low carb eating is...there is no reason to deprive yourself. There are wonderful recipes for delicious foods from main dishes to desserts. Check out this site for some of the best Atkins recipes on the web
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
Just remember, not being prepared (having foods you can eat available) is preparing youself for failure.
As far as the "oh come on...its Christmas" comments...you just have to learn to be determined that you are going to do this for you no matter what. "If You Do What You Always Did, You'll Get What You Always Got". Dr. Atkins himself said it best "your just a little taste mentality...is the kiss of death". I'm going to be very blunt and tell you, none of us would be here trying to lose weight if we could eat in "moderation". Its like the old commercials for Lay's Potato Chips...ya can't eat just one!

All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 12-23-2008 at 03:13 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I just posted this this morning in a similar thread. I am just copying it there now:
To be honest with you... the only way I can hold myself from diving into that cookies plate at the lunchroom table was giving myself one day to eat whatever I want... and it will be x-mas eve. I had to make a deal with myself, so I can hold on to all the other temptations... so I say: “I am not eating those cookies right now because I’ll be able to do it tomorrow night”
But, pay attention: It will be only one meal... After that I’ll be right back to the wagon (and working a bit harder) to make it up for all I ate. I know I’ll binge, but better this way (where it will be only once) than the whole holiday season.
BTW: I am not planning so far of doing the same on New Years!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

Thank you both for your very honest replies. I can definitely see both sides of the coin here
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote