Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #1  

Default Closing out 2008--How did you do on your 2008 goals?

Meg,

I know this is probably your role, but I'm curious how everyone did on their 2008 goals. So I thought I'd add that thread.

In 2008, my goals were to:

1. Determine what "maintaining" means to me
Progress: I've made progress. I know that right now, maintaining for me means the number on the scale. I don't think that's too great definition, so I want to expand on that definition this year to include exercise and healthy lifestyle choices.

2. Keep a daily food, exercise, and weight record
Progress: Did the food diary each and every day. Did the weight record most days. Did the exercise record as a part of my food and weight record, but I'd prefer to use a calendar specifically for an exercise record as I've done in the past, so I can see when I'm slacking off and encourage myself to get moving more. I've already picked up a free wall calendar for this purpose!

3. Exercise at least 5 times a week for at least one hour
Progress: I'd have to go back through all my food records to see if I did this, and that's just too much work (another reason for that monthly exercise calendar idea). I have a feeling that I was pretty good on this one. I'm excellent at M-Th. I slack too much on F,Sat, Sun--or maybe I just do my exercise differently. In a bit less than 4 weeks more, I'll be off my no exercise from surgery gig, and am excited about getting to snowshoe. I've been thinking about it almost every day!

4. Find the foods that make me happy, full, and feeling satisfied, rather than still wanting more and feeling ravenous
Progress: As I look at this, I think "What?! Food can't make me happy!" Wow! that alone is a big step for me to think about! Sadly, I don't think I've made any progress on this one. I have learned that if I distract myself, I won't be eating all the time. If anyone has any input on foods that make you feel full (I like lots of quantity), please tell me!

5. Work with a personal trainer as I begin the year to push my inches down a bit and learn how to work out smarter and harder
Progress: I worked with a trainer for about 3 months at the start of 2008 and lost a size, not lbs but inches. That was cool! I'm still in that same size--that is wonderful, excellent, exciting and every other fabulous word you can think of! Once I'm off surgery recuperation, I'll need to gear back up on lifting and exercising, so I'll have to return to this idea for 2009.

6. Maintain a weight of 185 or lower
Progress: This is the one I am MOST PROUD OF! Drumroll please: I weigh 182 right now. That is amazing! I think I was rarely above 185 this entire year. Wow! Just writing that pleases me so much! I think this really is becoming a lifestyle for me, rather than a "diet". Cool!

7. Remember that if weight goes up 3 days in a row, I return to my weight loss plan
Progress: I've done my tough love diet a number of times throughout the year and it has helped me maintain my weight loss level. I didn't ever return to my weight loss plan as it is too dramatic a difference. Of course, that, too, is something I learned. I can't go back immediately to my weight loss diet as it stalls my weight for weeks at a time. A gradual change works better--giving up item after item until my weight begins to go down. Again, I've learned this year about how to work with MY weight.

8. Post at least on a weekly basis with my new weight maintenance forum--you all
Progress: Every week you all have put up with my comments. I'd like to get better at getting to know you all though! I feel guilty when I don't comment on other's ideas as I know that's part of the strength of this group and is something that's important to me.

9. Learn to accept the new me--I am a much finer looking lady than I used to be !
Progress: I'm not sure...I am getting used to the woman I see in the mirror. Sometimes, though, when I'm sitting on the bathroom stool, I look down and think "God! How could I have regained that 96 lbs!" I mean my body is floppy. Granted, I'm 48, so my skin isn't going to bounce back and be tight and fabulous looking. It is at that time that I remind myself how great I look in my clothes and that few people see me naked. I can't afford to have plastic surgery, so I look how I look without clothes. Somedays I think I look better than others.
With this goal, too, I must share that I am finally reading the book "The Secret" and think I'm going to try applying their ideas--essentially my mind controls what happens to me. I'm going to post positive affirmations and begin encouraging myself, through writing, to see the smaller, firmer, fitter woman I've become since I started this journey in Jan 2007. I know my fitness level made it so I recovered from surgery quickly, so I know I am doing very well physically. It's the mental stuff I need to work on.

Final comment regarding 2008 goals:
One of the things I'd add is that I need to copy what I write for goals and post them. I read somewhere that goals are only wishes until they're in writing. Well, if they're in writing that you never view again, I think that, too, is a weakness. So in 2009, I'm going to post my goals beside my nightstand, so I see them every night and every morning! Seeing the 2008 goals was like a blast from the past--and I don't think it should be that way for me

So, how did you each do? What did you do well and where do you need to continue to work? We're all on a lifetime journey...weight maintenance is something I know I'll "work" at the rest of my life.
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #2  
Meg

Goal, it's a great idea for a thread and I'm so glad you started it. New thread ideas are always welcome from everyone.

I'm going to give this some thought today while I'm at work and be back with some thoughts later ...
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dec 21,2007 made goal! Dec 21, 2008 still at goal! Hot damn!!! I have maintained for one year. This despite medical treatment that plays havoc with your body, so far I am holding my own and want to continue in 2009.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #4  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Well, I never wrote them down but my goals for 2008 were to lose the pregnancy weight, and continue down to my ultimate goal of 135.

I lost the pregnancy weight as of the end of August. I revised the goal to be within a range of 135-140 and have pretty much stayed there since August.

But as of this morning I was 135.4 so am less than half a pound off my original ultimate goal, which I am pretty damn proud of actually - I didn't think it would be possible but there we are.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Robsia -- that's fantastic!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Robsia, congratulations! I know you've had to work hard for those last few pounds
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #7  
Workin' It

Way to go Robsia! I know you hung at a higher weight for a while and started maintaining above where you really wanted, so the 135.4 is exciting! Woo hoo!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote