Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #1  
I think I can...

S/C/G: 230/151/118

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy C25K Question?

I was planning on starting C25k... but i read online somewhere that someone's doctor said she was too big to do it, and she was only a little bit larger than me. Have any of you done it and had success with it? I am 5 feet and 210 pounds. So I really am not sure if I should start it or not.
smnolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I started running at 230 and just did my first 5K race in Thanksgiving. For me personally running on the sidewalk bothered my knees until about 210 so I used the treadmill until that time. Try it but don't overdo it. It's largely walking for the first weeks of the C25K anyway so not that much stress. Be sure to rest in between days and don't rush the program if you aren't ready. Good Luck!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #3  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I started the C25K this October, and I was 185 (5'-4"). I had been walking for 2 years, mostly on an asphalt track, and after the first 2 weeks of C25K I moved indoors to a treadmill. I've experienced some joint pain, but I believe it's related to a car wreck in 2006, not my weight. If you are otherwise healthy, try the first week and see if you feel any discomfort. I've always heard that sidewalks are the worst for your knees, tracks/roads are not much better, treadmills are better, and smooth trails or grass is the best surface to run on. The BEST thing about the C25K is that from October to now, I'm down 20 pounds. It took me two years to lose 15 pounds by walking a 5K every morning, and now I run a 5K in less than 40 minutes every other day.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I have bad knees regardless of size and so I was advised to do knee strenghtening exercises (leg extensions, leg curls, elliptical at very high resistance etc.) to minimize injury and it worked. No matter starting weight everyone who begins running is putting their body at an increased risk for breakdown. Your muscles, bones, joints and connective tissue have to get used to jarring and overall higher impact so strength training is key for reducing the likelihood of stress fractures, plantar fascitis, runners knee, IT band syndrome etc..

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-22-2008 at 04:05 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #5  
I think I can...

S/C/G: 230/151/118

Height: 5'0"

I just went outside and did the first day, and I had no idea that my road was so hilly! My grandparents have an unused treadmill, so I might see if I can coerce them into giving it to me when I see them on Christmas. Other than the running up the hills business, I think I did fine for my first time.

Thanks for your support!
smnolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Just stick with it and it'll get easier I promise!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #7  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
Just stick with it and it'll get easier I promise!
I agree, it does get easier, and then it gets addictive. And suddenly you'll find yourself looking forward to getting up every morning at 4:30 am to hit the gym, and every time you step on the treadmill you'll try to beat your previous best time.... nothing quite so fanatical as a new convert, is there?
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote