Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #1  
I wish I was a catfish

Default Missing a meal

A person I know that just joined WW in another town told me that their leader said that if you miss a meal you have to count points for it since your metabolism slows down. I've never been told this at my meetings. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #2  

that's really screwed up. i've never heard of that. i don't thing ww would condone that either....
that would be like saying anorexic people eat at full points a day because they missed all their meals.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:22 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I agree that that sounds like wackko information. I doubt your metabolism slows down after missing one meal to the degree that you'd have to compensate with points. That's just weird.
Sounds to me like there's probably something scientific in there, but the leader was really stretching.
Do your best with the sensible stuff.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Maybe the leader was trying to state that you lose those points. You can bank any points above your minimum that you don't use, but if you don't reach your minimum, you can't bank those extra points.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

CeCe,
you really need to meet your minimum. if you are in a high point range and having trouble then you need to take a look at how many 0 point foods you are eating, or if you really have cut out too much fat... things like that. But the minimum is there for a reason. One skipped meal is not a big deal in the sceam of a lifetime... it is a big deal if it becomes daily.

-L
Old 05-08-2002, 08:50 PM   #6  

it's funny...i used to always eat above my maximum point value, but i'd still lose weight (10 points above type thing...). only recently, i used that exercise slider thing that ww has, and i calculated my day's exercise for points, and it was right around 10 points. i always felt like such a pig, and that my exercise level didn't justify that much extra food, but it really did. heh.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:23 PM   #7  
I wish I was a catfish

Thanks for all the replies.

Cece - I think that you might be right, at least that sounds like the most logical explanation for such a remark.

Don't worry, I don't miss a meal often and usually when I do I at least try to grab a piece of fruit and something like a nutrigrain bar. I just thought that comment was weird and I wanted some others opinions on it.

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2002, 12:44 PM   #8  

...or maybe the leader was trying to scare members out of starvation dieting. Some new WW's go to extremes to maximize their losses, and undereat to the point where they'll stop losing because their metabolism reacts as if there's a famine going.

One of my co-workers calls me "famine-resistent" (; --in other words, if I stop eating I just slow down and don't lose an ounce more fat than my body needs to barely keep functioning. The only way I lose weight is by keeping up moderate activity and then actually eating just a bit over my points range (adding more food if I exercise vigorously). So I follow WW and go to meetings and all, but do a few little modifications.

Lenore
On my way back to goal....
153(this time)/135/145.5
Closed Thread