Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Really worried about traveling

My husband, kids and i will be leaving on Sunday about 9 hours away, to visit my parents for Christmas. To start, we never eat well while traveling, and we will stop at fast food places at least 2 times before we get to where we are going. Then, my mom is recovering from a multiple massive stroke. She is doing great, I got to see her take 17 steps while we were home for Thanksgiving. A little background, My mom is a complete miracle, we were told after her stroke that she wouldnt make it, she would never wake up from her coma. Then when she started coming around, they said she had Locked In Syndrome and that she would never do more than blink. But I knew God had other plans for my mom and that he would heal her, I never doubted for a minute. Of coarse her heeling is on Gods timing and not mine and i have to accept that. Any ways, my mom is living in a local nursing home for her physical therapy and because my dad cant lift her or anything to help move her around. So, needless to say, we spend a lot of time there at the nursing home and eat out a lot while there or eat unhealthy foods if we were at the house my parents live of over processed foods, then there is Christmas dinner that i am sure my dad will be cooking, he did a wonderful job at Thanksgiving. My dad even prayed that day, In my 33 yrs of life, I have never heard my dad pray. Anyways, even under the best of circumstances, it is stressful being around my family. I have my brother who wants NOTHING to do with God, he just recently divorced his wife who claims to be a practicing witch, even has my niece saying she is one. Then I have my parents who are negative people, they complain about everything, love having a good pity party, delights in the misfortune of others loves to gossip. Its kinda like that's the whole culture of the area I am from. I hate that my kids are around and hear some of the things they say. I love them, but the distance between us is a good thing. There is part of me that doesn't even want to go home, how horrible is that? I want to be in my home, I want to wrap presents and put them under my own tree, I want to eat my own food, I want my kids to wake up Christmas morning in their own beds, do the Santa thing, cook breakfast, lounge in our PJs. Start our own traditions. My husband is military and we have been traveling home for Holidays for the last 10 years, I have only missed 1 because my husband couldn't get leave. OK well, I have rambled enough, I dont even know what else to say. Prayers for good food options, safe travel and peace, would be great.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #2  
Momma on a Mission

willow-

Take it easy on yourself. Its Ok to want a normal holiday celebration. Remember to not beat yourself up for not eating healthy or exercising.

You might try these tips:

Before you travel you might want to download and print off some nutritional info from your families favorite eating stops along the way. Look them over ahead of time and hopefully you will have a game plan before you even stop for lunch.

Take along your favorite healthier snacks for the car(and a few extras, everyone in the family may want your apples, string cheese, etc.).

Don't forget to drink your water instead of too many sodas. When I travel with my husband snacks and sodas get me everytime.

Try to do some quick light exercise when you can.

Eating close to right and exercising will help you feel better and handle the stress better. But don't beat yourself up for slip-ups.

Best wishes during this difficult time.

Last edited by mtnheart; 12-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I was thinking along the same lines as MARTHA; she has some really good tips there. I thought of you making up a cooler with some healthy snacks (fruits, yogurt, cheese, granola) and drinks; plus maybe a big salad in a container with dressing on the side. Salads can be made the day before and put in a sealed container and nice and fresh to eat on the way.

A little planning ahead can prevent unhealthy choices; you can have protein like cooked chicken, tuna, or salmon with your salad. Many places today are providing salads to go as well. And look ahead to see if there are places that offer healthier fare like a Swiss Chalet or Grillhouse of some type.

Prayers going up for your travels and that you all will have a good time this year (well, as best you all can); try to be forgiving of your family's faults, and steer conversations away from the negative stuff with happy stories about your family and others you may have heard of. Maybe play some games and share some happy memories or sing some carols, to brighten things up a bit.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Prayers....

You know what you need to do to make the best of each situation....step up to the plate BIKER MA and get it done!! Your pops needs you to!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Thank yall so much for actually reading my ramble and thanks for the advice. So far, this is what I have come up with. My grocery list for snacks is this, low fat string cheese, whole wheat crackers, apples, nuts, yogurt, water, premade salad for me and sandwiches for the kids and hubby. Oatmeal for breakfast that morning so we will all be good an full before we start the drive. We have also decided to have our own Christmas here at home after we get back. We are going to do Santa gifts at my parents but keep our family presents here. Gonna get home, then after a day or so, cook a nice dinner, eat on the good plates, open our presents and drink apple cider by the fire place. So thats the plan, and I am less worried and less stressed
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

That sounds like a wonderful plan; have a great time!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote