Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #1  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default *** NO more fast food in 08 ***

This is a challenge!

For the next couple of weeks, let's say NO WAY to fast food. Let's work a little harder to prepare our own food instead, and to rely on healthy options at home!

You don't have to check in each day unless it helps you to do so. When you DO check in, tell us how you've done so far and please list something that you ate INSTEAD of fast food to keep the rest of us motivated and the ideas coming for non-fast food options.

Maybe by the new year I won't be addicted to Wendy's anymore!! YAY!

ED NOTE: I only get my soda from fast food places, so I am cutting out soda for the rest of the year as well! That's just an added part to the challenge for me, personally, but feel free to join in on that too if you'd like!

Last edited by carcar05; 12-15-2008 at 11:33 AM.
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #2  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

Thumbs up

I actually sort of started this on my own at the time I joined 3FC. I haven't had anything except home prepared healthy meals since just before Thanksgiving.

I feel a ton better and I've saved an incredible amount of money. Since I stopped drinking all sodas I've saved at least $1.25 a day, so in a year I save 456.25. I also have not gone to any fast food place (even Subway) because I prefer to make my own to ensure I get the right proportions of veggies, meats breads etc and healthy ingredients.

I make way better food than a restaurant anyway.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #3  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

I started to cut out fast foods, mainly the fried stuff, when I joined 3FC too. Every once in a while I have a diet soda. I'm in all the way for the rest of the year! Maybe this will help my weight loss a little better.
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

I gave up sodas and I have saved a bunch of money.They were diet sodas but I am still happy to have given them mostly up. Yes I have fallen off the wagon but the can I drank today is so much less than the 3 liter I would normally have had.
No fast food, that is really tough ,but I am managing
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJess View Post

I make way better food than a restaurant anyway.
I agree, I haven't had fast food in a month and have discovered that I like my food better because I prepare it the way I want and add just the right amount of everything I feel like having. I think this is a great challenge and I'm going to try and carry it on into the new year as well.

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-15-2008 at 12:42 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Okay - I'm in! I don't go for fast food often, but the curry takeaway around the corner tends to seduce me every once in a while.
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

In the start I cut fast food out totally (except subs). Now every once and a while I induldge in fast food, of course trying to make the healthiest choices (grilled chicken sandwhich instead of hamburger), when need be. Sometimes life is hectic and I have no time no cook.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

The hard part for me is that my husband and I drive around in our car for work for about 8 hours a day. I will generally make a lunch, but that only holds us over for about 1/2 of the time. We have been eating our lunch and then grabbing a thing of chocolate milk and I'll bring some veggies and such to hold us over.
There are days when I'm so tired and have no energy to make lunch before we leave for work. We've cut out a large percentage of our fast food. When we do go for it, we grab Subway.
For me to say that I will totally cut out fast food is really too hard. I think my goal will be to make more lunches and limit the fast food as much as possible.
I also grab coffee from a coffee shop while we work. But for that I weaned myself from 3 creams and 3 splendas down to 1 of each. The other day I had a cup of just 1 cream and no sweetener and liked it, so I may do that from now on.. I'm finding that Splenda is just as chemically as other sweeteners.
I'm working on cutting it out and going for natural ones....
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #9  
More than halfway to 100!

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

When I started my WL plan, I was *shocked* at how much money I was saving by not eating fast food. And now that I am drinking so much water, I don't even crave diet coke anymore! My sister came to my place yesterday and was appalled that I didn't have any diet coke in my fridge. When I bought it, it went bad, so I stopped buying it!

I think this is a great challenge! Stay focused!
IrishRose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #10  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

i can't remember the last time i ate fast food. i mean i used to. i even had a favorite item from each different fast food chain, ya know. like x sandwich from y place. i'm not really sure when i stopped eating it, but i know it's been years. and to be honest, i dont even remember what it tastes like. and at this point, i dont even wanna know, bc i'd be way too scared to open that can of worms.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

I've been thinking ahead already and my New Years resolution is to cook more 'proper' food. I don't have that much fast food from take away places but I tend to buy lots of frozen junk like ready meals and I waste so much money on it.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

I think ill have fast food once a month or once every 2 months
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I'm going to try but I'm moving and everything and you know how it gets when you haven't unpacked the kitchen yet but you are starving and even once you do unpack the kitchen you haven't gone grocery shopping? I'll try to get all that done but I'm just sayin.. my new place is 2 blocks from subway
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #14  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Is subway considered fastfood if you get a veggie with no cheese and no mayo or anything? Just bread and veggies'o'rama? And a little vinegar, natch.

I don't know if I'll really count that as fast food, hahahaha...

I have been relying on Wendy's and McDonalds way too much recently- we're SO busy that I make excuses that there is no time to make dinner or lunch, but we're also living on a budget so I really just have to MAKE time to make the food.

Tonight instead of going out to eat, I am making some honey mustard chicken.

I made up the recipe and we love it

For 2 people (modify it for 1)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/3 C honey mustard
1/4 C brown sugar
1 T soy sauce

Mix up the honey mustard, brown sugar and soy sauce. Spoon or brush over the chicken breasts, bake at 375º oven until no longer pink in the middle.
You can add a little onion powder and salt if you'd like, as well.

Serve with brown rice and steamed broccoli, or with some other healthy side!

Yum! Clearly, I love easy.

Last edited by carcar05; 12-15-2008 at 06:24 PM.
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Yummy! I love honey mustard chicken although I have loads of jars of mustard now as I didn't have a clue which mustard to use so tried out several!
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote